PDA

View Full Version : Werid but true fact

fightergirl
05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
the juice in the leaves of a stinging nettle can actally be used as a remdy for there stings..........
you just have to be brave enough to get the leaf after uouve been stung!
sometimes fact is stanger than fiction.........

hunter63
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I have heard that in the wild, when ever you run across something that will hurt you, in the plant world, the cure or anecdote grows right with it, or near by.....seems this is an example?

Another example is poison ivy and jewel weed.
http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/jewelwed.htm

fightergirl
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
very intersting

hunter63
05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, was kinda hoping that some more people would jump in here, so far nada....but it is interesting.

mountainmark
05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
I have heard that in the wild, when ever you run across something that will hurt you, in the plant world, the cure or anecdote grows right with it, or near by.....seems this is an example?

Another example is poison ivy and jewel weed.
http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/jewelwed.htm

Jewelweed works for nettle stings as well.

Gulliver
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Humm...anectode? Or antidote?
Altough you can cure bad mood with a good anecdote sometimes...

hunter63
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Do I hear an echo,o,o,o,o,o....LOL

Batch
06-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't add to these very often because a lot of the stuff we have down here just doesn't exist in the US outside of South Florida. An example is a tree called Poison Wood. This tree is in the same family as poison oak and sumac. All plants can cause blistering rashes and we have to know how to identify it because burning this wood and breathing in the smoke would be very bad. There is another tree that grows in the same hammocks as the poisonwood tree. It is the gumbo limbo tree and you can use the bark or crushed leaves directly or make a tea to apply to the area affected.

Standing under a poisonwood tree in the rain would result in its water soluble sap getting all over you. As wood standing under a manchineel tree or death apple. Though the manchineel is said to be way worst and even a rain drop bouncing off of the tree will cause a blistering rash. The carib indians would tie their captives to the tree and let them die an excruciating death.

I have never been affected by poison ivy.

Wildthang
06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Raw polk salad makes a great violent laxative!

Survivalist
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
There is also a tree native to Belize called the "give-and-take tree" covered in poisonous razor-sharp thorns, which is about 12 feet high. If you prick yourself on this tree it will take a while before it stops bleeding do to an anti-coagulant on the thorns. But if you remove some of the cambium lair, and apply the sap on the wound, it relieves the pan of the sting, as well as stop the bleeding and disinfect the wound. Giving it the name "give-and-take".

finallyME
06-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Apparently, eating jalapeno poppers with a jalapeno burger isn't such a great idea. They taste so great together. But the next day......man alive!

hunter63
06-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Hummmm....that would have been "Preperation B"....Didn't seem to catch on........?

Rick
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
One more way to create fire without tools.

crashdive123
06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Apparently, eating jalapeno poppers with a jalapeno burger isn't such a great idea. They taste so great together. But the next day......man alive!

You forgot to eat ice cream after the burger didn't you?

gryffynklm
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM

This is all I have to say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWJF35Q81k