PDA

View Full Version : Networking with OTGers in WA

newedge2003
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
We are a small group of about (currently) about 8 people, including 3 kids. We are looking to create an OTG community in WA, probably the North East part, as there's a lot of land we've found for very cheap. We are hoping to find others who are interested in this, and with an array of skills, make this happen. By combining skills and resources, we hope to secure land for everyone to be able to carve their own little home on the land.

These are some of the skills we have, or are learning, and we're looking to network with others, who have skills that can add to what we have, and compliment us in these regards.

General labor. Milk a cow, gather eggs, clean. Handy with a pic axe and other hand tools. Solder wires.

Experienced with kids and the elderly, especially in the capacity of instructional purposes; great for "community home-schooling." Admin/research: organizational, keeping track of inventory and resources, informational resources (what foods/plants can be helpful for various medicinal purposes). MS Office, Adobe Creative Suites, PC, Mac.

Learning how to grow crops; want to learn other techniques. Learning how to can. Alternate technology communications (eg, ham radio)

Cook over a campfire, making smores :)

Rick
05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Welcome home. I'm gonna have to pass on your offer although I do like the smores part a lot. That whole pick axe thing was a show stopper for me, though.

Cast-Iron
05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Howdy and Welcome!

I admire your sense of adventure, but the lack of key details in your post makes me wonder if you fully appreciate the labor and skillset requirements needed. Milking a cow and gathering eggs were tasks given to the children when I was growing up. We didn't call them skills, we called them chores.

Does anyone in your group have any experience in residential design or construction. It's not just for aesthetics, there are a plethora of safety considerations which are codified because it is likely somebody somewhere died or experienced serious injury from a design flaw. Are you in a flood plain? Do you need to engineer for possible seismic events? What are the wind and snow loads you need to withstand? Will you have adquate fire egress for sleeping areas? Is your water supply safe? How will you safely dispose of sewage? Will you have all-weather access for emergency personnel if needed? I could go on and I haven't even touched on food production.

If you've already addressed these issues, my hat is off to you. If you haven't, you're probably nowhere near ready to undertake a project of this scope without professional assistance. As adults you're free to pursue whatever tickles your fancy, just don't drag innocent children into any ill-conceived plans. Proper planning prevents piss-poor performance!

If you have specific querries, check the forums to see if they have already been "hashed out". If not there are a number of highly experienced people here who can likely answer your question or at least nudge you in the right direction so you can find the solution which works best for your unique situation.

Good Luck!

crashdive123
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
newedge2003 -

First - Welcome to the forum.

Second - Based on the biographical information that you have provided on your profile and the lack of a firm plan presented to the members here, I'm sure you'll understand why it is doubtful that you will get any serious inquiries from this forum.

Third - The skill sets you are looking for are just every day living for most of the folks here.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but it seems that your plan is lacking. Good luck.

newedge2003
05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I would also like to add that I'm a US Navy Veteran, and am gathering information on properties in the NE WA area, so that I have information I can provide the VA, to help secure the VA housing loan. The goal is to get enough land, so people can be able to OTG however they want, like in RV/Campers, http://hexayurt.com/, or whatever else appeals to the members of the community. We definitely would like more people to be involved!

crashdive123
05-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I removed the link to your facebook page. It is considered spam, so therefore not allowed. If you would like to put the link as part of your signature that is fine.

What did you do in the Navy?

kyratshooter
05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I would also like to add that I'm a US Navy Veteran, and am gathering information on properties in the NE WA area, so that I have information I can provide the VA, to help secure the VA housing loan. The goal is to get enough land, so people can be able to OTG however they want, like in RV/Campers, http://hexayurt.com/, or whatever else appeals to the members of the community. We definitely would like more people to be involved!

The first thing you need to search out with your Navy investigational skills is the zoning regualtions in your county. Things have changed drastically since the frontier days and there is a secquence of events that must occur before you drive a fence post into the ground in most areas.

I live in a very rural area and parking an RV on a patch of land will get a visit from the health department and zoning commission within 24 hours. Most states have a time limit on the RV life and espically what one does with the waste. Prep of a lot for legal use as a part time RV site, if you could get the land rezoned to recreational use, would require $15,000 investment on top to the land price in my area.

Digging a pit toilet will get you a visit from the sheriff, health departemnt, Water commission, EPA and zoning.

I would recommend that you find out what is legal before you decide to sink a big pile of money into land you can not use for the purposes intended.

I have built 3 off grid homes and be assured, you need to keep your day job to fund the "simple life". This presents a problem in this era, since off grid normally means off the beaten path and work usually means access to grid dependent systems with a good bit of commuting between the two.

Good luck.

Power Giant
05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
On a slightly different note- I am from this general area that you want to go to. Pay careful attention to who your new neighbors will be. Rural NE Washington has everything from super-liberal hippies to full on Neo-Nazis. Also, keep in mind that if the property is cheap, there's probably a darn good reason why.

kyratshooter
05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a neighbor that sold off all their land except a lake front plot. They failed to realize they were land locking themselves.

After selling they sued the new owners for access right of way.

The judge threw the case out because they were the origional owners of the property and should have retained road access. No one was obligated to donate right of way out of what they had just purchased.

With right of way that property is worth $20,000 in its undeveloped state. Right now the owner would be happy to part with it for $5,000. Only problem is I would have to access the property by boat. The people that bought the rest of his plot have offered him $2,000 for that 2 acre plot and he had better take it before tax time.

As PG stated, when land is cheap there is a reason.

finallyME
05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
As PG stated, when land is cheap there is a reason.

You guys are just too fast. I was going to say that.

crashdive123
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
You guys are just too fast. I was going to say that.

That's what happens when you give us a couple of weeks to think about things.:whistling:

finallyME
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
That's what happens when you give us a couple of weeks to think about things.:whistling:

Hey now, sometimes it takes me awhile to get around all the new posts on the forum.