PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Survival.net Phone App

GiLLiGaNN
05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Has there ever been any thought of doing one or would it just be too much? I have all sorts of survival apps on my phone but I have zero where I could talk to others on forums. Just curious is all.

crashdive123
05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Not sure, but I moved your thread here so that Chris will see it next time he's around.

tipacanoe
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Just curious, what survival apps do you have on your phone? I'm new to the smart phone, and not sure what apps to look for at this time. I do know that most of the AT&T apps seem to have a low rating and high cost. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Batch
05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I was going to ask if anyone had created an Anki deck? It is a free app and really easy to create card decks for and while I haven't tried it says multimedia cards are easy to create.

intothenew
05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
To view a forum, I use Tapatalk when the forum allows it. Chris would have to throw a switch for it to work, I'm certain that is an over simplification.

The next series comes with a disclaimer:

I consider my phone a signalling device first and foremost. Battery life for that function is of highest importance. Second, it is a navigation aid. Third, it is reference material. Fourth, it is entertainment. Do not allow the second two to steal precious battery from the first two. It is ill advised to rely on it solely for certainly the first two. It would be well advised to have a secondary battery and/or a charging mechanism if you rely on it for any of the above.

Signalling:

Voice and text is obvious

Morse; yep that's the name of an app. Albeit primitive on my part, it allows me to send visual and read audio/visual. Sending is like falling off a log.

Life360; locator beacon, kinda, sorta

Navigation:

MotionX GPS; Just a wonderful app, you have to have a high end GPS to out run it.

Reference:

SAS Survival Guide

The Weather Channel

iSolunar

Packing Pro

Grocery Gadget

WhatKnot

Leafsnap

FM21-76 Survival Guide

WildEdibles

Dropbox; Which allows cloud sharing so that you can sync any document you wish to the phone and pc, and I have many.

Entertainment:

Camera!; automatically cloud syncs my pics

Rick
05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
If I had all that stuff on my phone I'd have to learn how to use it. It aggravates me when the darn thing rings as it is.

intothenew
05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
The varmints are tutoring me.

Rick
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
You know, I understand that sentence completely. I've worked with computers since the stupid things came out. My nine year old grand son did something on the computer that was really pretty amazing.

"How did you do that?" I asked.
"Oh, it's easy. You just..."

I'm thinking, easy huh? Why you little...........

intothenew
05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
"Peepaw, whether you use it or not a 1 has less mass than a 0. Think about it?"

Chris
05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
there is a mobile app for this forum software, I've not installed it, that being said, if you have a smart phone with a web browser, you can browse the site with it.

Fishin' Fool
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Has any more thought been given to enabling Tapatalk on this forum? I recently installed the app and it's a great way to read forums on a smartphone.