PDA

View Full Version : Fish Recipe for Campfire

Rick
02-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's a fish recipe for your camp fire.

1 Whitefish 1 1/2 pound (0.5 kg) – 2 pound (1 kg) Fish. Whitefish, grayling, brown trout or charr will work well)
1 onion
Lemon pepper
Dried dill
1 apple
Aluminium foil

Method
1. Gut the fish carefully and rinse it
2. Season the fish with lemon pepper and dill
3. Stuff it with onion and apple slices
4. Wrap the whole dish in aluminium foil and seal
5. Place on a pile of embers and put coals around it as well

After 20-30 minutes it’s time to retrieve the fish. Enjoy with Pilot bread (just for you Hopeak) and beer!

nell67
02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
The beer is for me right???LMAO! yup Rick,I'm drinking and typing again!

Sourdough
02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Rick, You ever do fish Al'la'stick. Catch fish, sharpen stick About 5' long and about 1/2" to 3/4" in dia. to a point, jam stick down throat, through stomach, but not all the way through. Hold over coals like a marshmellow. It does not take long, peel off skin, eat meat. Note: you do not clean the fish, cook it guts and all. YUMmmmmm.

Rick
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Uh, no. Can't say as I have. Guts come out and head, more often than not, comes off. You can also pack them in mud and bake them in the fire along with a potato packed in mud. Start with the potato about 20 minutes to 30 minutes before you add the fish.

coldkill13
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey hopeak, I've actually tried that method with bluegills many times. Fresh out of the water and on a stick! If you have a good fire going, get a nice green stick and stick it in the ground about 1foot down wind of the fire at a 45 degree angle. Rotate once after about five minutes. You know that its done when the eyes pop out of the head. While it tastes ok that way, it tastes much better if the guts are removed ( MUCH, MUCH, better! ). Then the skin just falls of and the meat melts in your mouth! Normally I fillet my fish because I cant stand getting a bone in my throat, but that takes a long time. If you do fillet them, you can put them on a stick further down wind of the fire and smoke them ( Mmmm..... ). I just went ice fishin today and caught and filleted ( If thats a word ) a dozen and a half gills, but I think I'm just goin to fry em. But about that Ala-stick method: It really cant get any fresher than that!

canid
02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
you don't even have to pack them in mud, just cover them with ash and then embers. i do a lot of on and under fire baking when i'm outdoors.