PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Coop

Deadleg8541
04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering what people thought about joining coops and if anyone here is from Colorado and had any experience being a member of one or any experience with them in general. Thinking of joining one until I can start planting and growing myself and have a place to call my own. Either way I'd like to hear your opinions on that matter.

crashdive123
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd have to know a little more about the co-op before I could offer any advice. Things like membership costs, prices vs local farmers markets or grocery stores, restrictions, requirements like sweat equity, etc.

Deadleg8541
04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
I gotcha, well the full membership is $600.00 for a 20 week season, none of the produce is pre-packed, so you can pick what you want. From their website it states that the full share membership feeds 4-6 peer week. The produce ranges from artichokes and asparagus to cucumbers and sweet corn so it seems like it has a pretty good spread for the money. As far as prices vs local farmers markets, grocers, etc. I'm not to sure since I'm not in Colorado yet but I do know from family there that the farm sells at their areas farmers market and their prices are on par with other vendors but again I haven't seen it myself so I can't comment. The farm is called Millers farm in Platteville, CO for anyone from those parts, and they have a website also at millersfarm.net

kyratshooter
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Co-ops are all different. I would want several word of mouth recommendations before making a decision.

My problem with them is often that they offer things that I do not want as part of the weekly bundle and not enough of the things I do like.

I generally take my chances at the local farmer's market. My area has an excellent one and what I do not grow myself or find with a vendor, I can usually "contract" with the locals. I bought a half pickup truck load of green beans once. Many of the farmers there raise their own livestock and will sell on the hoof at market price and deliver to the processor.

crashdive123
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Sounds kind of expensive to me. It may be a good deal for the area....not sure. Knowing your use would probably be your most important factor, followed by pricing for the area. I would figure out what, and how much produce you and your family eat and do some research on pricing.

Deadleg8541
04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Sound advice, thanks for the knowledge.