PDA

View Full Version : Living in the middle of no where

JamesGuyette
04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
So i would like to get a group of people together a small group nothing large maybe five people or so anyone down? or have any great idea's about where if anyone seriously is interested let me know.:airhorn:

Rick
04-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Uh.....you might start by offering some information about yourself. Things like, "I'm not an axe murderer", would probably be helpful information. Do you live in Zimbabwe or Chicago? Are you 12 of 92? Do you want to live off grid in the African Congo or Canada? I realize it's probably just details but folks seem to look for bits of information like that. Good luck anyway.

crashdive123
04-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Where and when do we meet?

1stimestar
04-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Bring lots of rice.

Sourdough
04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Is your mother coming........???

kyratshooter
04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I will save you plenty of trouble, come stay with me.

I have a garden to break and plant
a chicken house to build
4 cords of wood to split and stack
I need to preasure wash the siding
the yard has to be mowed twice a week at this time of year
I must add a room to the back of the house before fall
New jobs will be added daily as life progresses.

You can pitch your tent in the back yard and live completely off grid, just be careful of the coyotes, racoons, skunks, occasional bears and the neighbor's cat.
You can walk the two miles to the Wildlife Management Area and hunt for your food
The lake is only 1/4 mile away so you can catch a fish now and then, gathering greens along the side of the road as you walk.
(the food gathering will be in addition to the work load already mentioned.)
There is a creek runing along the back of the place for water, you will need to purify it.

BTW summer here gets incredably hot (near 100) and winter is usually long and cold (below freezing for 2 months). We also have misquitoes as big as B2 bombers.

No, there will be no pay involved, after all, you are part of the group. There is also no medical care and I do not provide transportation, anywhere.

As part of the group we will vote on everything. My vote counts twice. If more then two are present my vote overrides any decision.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Pressure wash what? you left out stoking the still! - otherwise I would have signed up!

hunter63
04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, well I still need a lot of junk dragged out of the ravine, buck thorn and brambles cut.

Bank need weed wacking every other week front of "the Place" and of course yard and trail mowed.

May camp down by the river......

kyratshooter
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I just realized I forgot to medntion the cage fights.

The local National Guard Armory holds cage fights each weekend. As part of your contribution to the group you will be expected to participate where you will also be expected to lose due to yoru malnourished, over worked and decrepit condition. The remainder of the group (me) will bet on your opponant and win large sums of money. You get none of that, after all, it is for the good of the group. (no my name is not Obama)

kyratshooter
04-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Pressure wash what? you left out stoking the still! - otherwise I would have signed up!

Really WOO, catch with the modern world! No one runs a still any more. Legal liquer is too cheap to compete and liquer in so labor intensive!

Even pot is no longer grown out in the open, those suppliers prefering indoor set ups. Too many helicopters buzzing around and LEO wanting their share.

The hilllbilly faction has adopted meth as the new prefered substance. It is cheap, easy to make and does not require chopping wood or fighting ticks and chiggers or walking up the middle of the creek for a mile to tend the still.

Wildthang
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm in, can I bring my Unicorn?

BENESSE
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
The OP was catnip to Kyrat, I just knew it.
Thank you Kyrat for always coming through and putting a smile on my face, to boot.
:balloon:

kyratshooter
04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm in, can I bring my Unicorn?

Sorry but I will have to turn you down WT. Your home territory is too close. After a week, and probably just before the first cage fight, you would pack your crap and hoof it back to Ohio!

I need someone that comes from too far to walk home and has only enough money for buss fare one way.

If you did come here your unicorn would be welcome. We have a stud donky and I always wondered what kind of stir a unimule would create at the county fair.

Ms B, you know me too well. If you and the hubby ever drop by you can stay in the house, and no cage fights, unless you just want too.

hunter63
04-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry but I will have to turn you down WT. Your home territory is too close. After a week, and probably just before the first cage fight, you would pack your crap and hoof it back to Ohio!

I need someone that comes from too far to walk home and has only enough money for buss fare one way.

If you did come here your unicorn would be welcome. We have a stud donky and I always wondered what kind of stir a unimule would create at the county fair.

Ms B, you know me too well. If you and the hubby ever drop by you can stay in the house, and no cage fights, unless you just want too.

Unimule,...... that made by John Deer, right?

Seniorman
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM
JAMES GUYETTE - "Living in the middle of no where"

I'd really like to come along, but I can't as I enjoy hot running water at the turn of a handle, flush toilets at the push of a lever,, instant electricity at the flip of a switch, cooking gas at the turning of a knob, not having to boil water three times a day to drink and cook, and my very competent, painless dentist. :cowboy:

Guess I'll stay here... but wish you the best of luck out in the wilderness.

S.M.

Durtyoleman
04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Have you got at least a twelve month supply of pizza, beer, whisky, cigarettes, and wifi access for all group members? If so I'll bring a motor home and visit a while.
D.O.M.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Really WOO, catch with the modern world! No one runs a still any more. Legal liquer is too cheap to compete and liquer in so labor intensive!

Even pot is no longer grown out in the open, those suppliers prefering indoor set ups. Too many helicopters buzzing around and LEO wanting their share.

The hilllbilly faction has adopted meth as the new prefered substance. It is cheap, easy to make and does not require chopping wood or fighting ticks and chiggers or walking up the middle of the creek for a mile to tend the still.

I AM

http://img.filmous.com/static/photos/2638/poster.jpg

Rick
04-07-2012, 11:27 PM
See? I told you. You shoulda put in some details.

JamesGuyette
04-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Sorry about the lack of information before had just had to get a quick post out there and get everyone fired up :) this wouldn't be an indefinite thing it would be more of six months to a year in the remote wilderness location is not a concern to me, any number of people would be better than just one. would obviously would want to be in an area where we are allowed to be and allowed to hunt. and i guess some information about me is also necessary, i am 20 years old, im from Ohio my mother raised me outside and she has also been teaching me survival skills my whole life and i practice monthly i have my own equipment, just lack the man(women) power, and of coarse i have my own funds. also just the pure experience of it would be a thrill enough for me and too have a group would make it that much better. thanks
~James:rockon:

Sourdough
04-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Take lots of photos.

crashdive123
04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Yep pics would be good.

jcullen24
04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Yep pics would be good.

Noodz?

Are we talking broke back mountain here?

jcullen24
04-08-2012, 04:01 PM
BTW, to the OP, I'd suggest the Utah mountains. We'll have lots of fun!

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2012/02/17/AP1112190148924_.jpg

All kidding aside, I thinks it's a great idea!

finallyME
04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a cage fight. I mean, I have seen a lot of cages. I have even been in a few. But, I have never seen one mad enough to actually fight. One time I threw a glass bottle at one, shattered all over the place. But, the cage didn't move at all. No emotion, no change in facial expressions. Of course, I couldn't find it's face, but that's beside the point. Anyways, after all that, it still didn't want to fight me. I guess you have had better luck getting a cage to fight.

Winnie
04-14-2012, 03:22 AM
kyr, you a bad man, funny as all, but a bad man!:D

Thaddius Bickerton
04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
No offense, but can you splain to me why I should just drop all my plans to go live in my own place like a hermit to spend time with you?

I guess I'm kinda playing the song What's in it for me?

Are you able to teach me stuff, or do you want me to teach you stuff.

Are you going to keep up my bills for the duration, or am I expected to figure out how to manage my absence along with care for my kids etc?

Where short of Alaska or perhaps africa do you think we can find wilderness remote enough that anyone cannot find us and we would see no other for long duration?

What gear do you have, and am I to provide all of mine, or are you providing it to do some sort of study?

Can we film this to sell to nat geo survivalists?

Would they want it anyway.?

Oh well, get a RFP out to me and i'll get back to you after i review the specifics of your offer.

And keep grinning, it makes em wonder what you are up to.

Thad.

hunter63
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
BTW, to the OP, I'd suggest the Utah mountains. We'll have lots of fun!

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2012/02/17/AP1112190148924_.jpg

All kidding aside, I thinks it's a great idea!

I believe that is a Remington Model 600....wonder what caliber?

Rick
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
You could probably ask the guy he stole it from.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
I recall reading in the news the pictures were not good enough to ID him. The one we now have here shows pretty distinct facial features.

Rick
04-15-2012, 02:06 PM
The figured out who he was back in February...

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/02/22/authorities-id-s-utah-mountain-man-sought-burglaries

Wildthang
04-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Your right, I'd probably just shoot whoever I was supposed to fight and yell, next!

Warheit
04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm down. Let's live in Indiana somewhere and enhance our skills.

Rick
04-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Whoa, there, Jim Beam. Back the truck up a minute. We're sorta particular about who we let in. You'll have to answer a few important questions.

1. How much bacon do you own?
2. How much Spam do you own?
3. How much Coffee do you own?

Before we can give you an estimate on the "I'd like to move to Indiana and enhance our skills" tax you'll have to answer those questions.

Warheit
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Whoa, there, Jim Beam. Back the truck up a minute. We're sorta particular about who we let in. You'll have to answer a few important questions.

1. How much bacon do you own?
2. How much Spam do you own?
3. How much Coffee do you own?

Before we can give you an estimate on the "I'd like to move to Indiana and enhance our skills" tax you'll have to answer those questions.

Neither, now let me in.

Sarge47
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm trying to figure out why people keep wanting to leave society. I think that bonding together in a strong community solves the problem better. Want to live in the middle of nowhere? Shoot, move to Illinois! :w00t:

BENESSE
04-16-2012, 08:51 AM
No one I know who is successful at what they do regardless of what that happens to be--student, parent, carpenter, farmer, doctor, etc. and has a wide circle of friends and a rewarding relationship is interested in dropping out and leaving society behind.

Rick
04-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Just part of it. The part that wants to leave society behind. Hey! Just sayin'.....

Wildthang
04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I really like modern conveniences, and have no desire to live like an animal. I like learning survival as a tool not a way of life!

Lobo Lone Wolf
04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
The figured out who he was back in February...

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/02/22/authorities-id-s-utah-mountain-man-sought-burglaries

I wonder if we could learn some survival skills from him, other than B & E.

Lobo

Rick
04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm sure we could. He seems to have a solid grasp of staying alive under very adverse conditions.

Wildthang
04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Am I just nuts or did we get off topic a little here................wait:confused:

Rick
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
You don't really want me to answer that do you? 'Cause you know I will. I will.

BENESSE
04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm sure we could. He seems to have a solid grasp of staying alive under very adverse conditions.

Solid grasp indeed-- breaking into people's homes.
He is just a thug, nothing more.

Rick
04-18-2012, 06:36 PM
The question was, Could we learn something from him about survival BEYOND breaking and entering. The guy has been on the lose for several years staying one step ahead of John Q. Law. He doesn't spend all his time in someone else's home. So, yeah, I give him his dues on his ability to survive. I don't think he should be emulated or given a pat on the back but he does seem to know how to stay alive.

Wildthang
04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Well being chased by cops for a long time, and being isolated from society would definately tend to turn a person to a more animalistic behavior, and that would in turn affect your moral judgement to some degree. I am not condoning his thieving actions, but he probably really dont care what we think of him, and why would he.
There are not many people that cant do what he is doing and I respect that to some degree. It is too bad he couldn't find a way to survive without breaking into peoples homes because that is just motivating the authorities to catch him. So what he is doing is keeping the heat on himself instead of just staying below the radar.
He should move on to another wilderness and keep his nose clean and they would probably never catch him. As long as he goes close to society and breaks into homes, the more the odds are stacked against him with getting caught.
But I'll give him credit for being one wiley SOB!

BENESSE
04-19-2012, 03:14 AM
His habitual breaking and entetring allowed him to survive this long even at the risk of keeeping him in the spotlight of LE.
He might not have shacked up in people's homes long enough to lead a cushy life but he certainly had a seemingly endless supply of whatever he needed when he needed it. SD and AS can do better than that.

Wildthang
04-19-2012, 06:05 AM
I bet he has spent a lot of time in the woods too! Maybe we should nominate him for the Boots in the field award:smartass:

crashdive123
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Or maybe not.

jcullen24
04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
He left society, and doesn't follow societies rules any more.
I can't condone his illegal activities.
I can't condem his activities either.
He is living in the field.
Even law enforcement have compared him to Davey Crocket.

shiftyer1
05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
You kinda quit living in the field when your shopping at the grocery/oops I mean someones house. I can camp out behind your house and live pretty well for quite some time. As long as you keep buying groceries

randyt
05-01-2012, 07:07 AM
a lot of the "greats" did the same, guys like eric rudolf and bill moreland. I'm not sure about Mcandless, can't remember reading that he did stuff like that.

BENESSE
05-01-2012, 07:33 AM
]a lot of the "greats" did the same, guys like eric rudolf and bill moreland[/B]. I'm not sure about Mcandless, can't remember reading that he did stuff like that.

It's a sad commentary when we start admiring "greats" like that. Just because they chose to live in the wilderness while ripping people off doesn't make them any better than the petty criminals who survive in the cities doing the same thing.
Robin Hoods they aint.

kyratshooter
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I think Randy was being facetious, since all the people mentioned were famous woodsmen who specialized in petty theft to stay alive. Rudolf being caught while dumpster diving and Morehead and this present dufus being obvious mental cases.

The chances are that our present fool would not be on the radar if he were a bit cleaner. The main concern seems to be the connection between the mess he makes of the places he visits and mental health issues, rather than the small amount of food and a rifle and some ammo he has taken. It was the same with Moreland.

When I was working the corrections system we could generally make the same connections. Smearing fecies on the walls and living in purposeful squalor is a pretty clear indication that your brain is not wired properly. It was usually our most dangerous customers that engaged in these acts.

It was people like this for which the term "outlaw" was coined. They live outside the norms and accepted behavior of society and make such a nuscience of themselves that the law refuses to protect them. Like any home invader, their presence is prima-facia evidence of intent to do harm. They become fair game to anyone who can stop them.

Now to answer the question of the caliber of the weapon, they only made it in three sizes: 35 Remington mag, .308 and .243. I would be a happy camper to find one in the local pawn shops in any of those denominations.

hunter63
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Now to answer the question of the caliber of the weapon, they only made it in three sizes: 35 Remington mag, .308 and .243. I would be a happy camper to find one in the local pawn shops in any of those denominations.

That's not correct, that's a Remington Model 600, the ribbed barrel kinda gives it away and the fancy curved bolt.
I have (or should say had) one in .35 Remington, supposedly only 6000 made of the total 94000 + all calibers.

Other calibers include, .222 rem, .223 rem, 6mm rem, 6.5 rem mag, .243 win, 308 win, .35 rem, .350 rem mag...all short cartridges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_600

It should be noted that for anyone that has one a "fix at no charge" factory recall on the trigger group, is still in effect, had the up date done to mine, before that tragic accident.

randyt
05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
yup, I was being facetious, I see nothing to be admired from these type of people. McCandless is a little different than moreland and rudolf.

kyratshooter
05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I am sure you are correct Hunter. Senility strikes again. I could only remember the three I listed and was too lazy to do a google search.

Lots of folks do not realize that Jeff Cooper developed the concept of the "scout rifles" around the Rem 600. One could not steal a better "survival rifle", especially in the 6mm and up calibers.

hunter63
05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I gotta tell ya, the .35 rem is a brutal round, out to 100 yds, barrel length is only 18" inches, as as it's a bolt gun you are not limited to round nose bullets.

And yeah, was a trappers, or scout model......shorter that a Handi rifle.

Most .35 rem are in a lever gun configuration.
This was one the the better things I recieved from my MIL, it was her gun.

PS I only heard about another Model 600 in La in .35 rem, guy wanted big bucks for it.......so I know of only two.

Adam Edwards
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi buddy. I'm looking for the same thing. I'm ready to go at any point.

Adam Edwards
08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Anybody out there looking for people to live in the wilderness with? I'm ready

Sarge47
08-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Good luck with that. :cool2:

BENESSE
08-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Got us another live one, Sarge, what?

Adam Edwards
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd like to hike the AT for a few years and just relax and take in the scenery and nature.

BENESSE
08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Sounds like a good job, if you can get it.

wtrfwlr
08-04-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd like to hike the AT for a few years and just relax and take in the scenery and nature.

So.....You wanna just meet me at a trail head somewhere over that way and lets you and I just go do this thing huh!!! How many years you thinking about us being out there? One or two or more like 3 or better? Jus lemme know!

crashdive123
08-04-2012, 06:05 AM

There will be plenty of company along the AT for you to meet. Relaxing and taking in the view is always a laudable goal.

Rick
08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Be like Nike. Just do it.

kyratshooter
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Might know we would have a newbie revive this thread without actually reading the posts and seeing the error of their ways before jumping in!

The AT is a federally protected hiking trail and is not covered under any "homestead act". You can not simply "live on the trail" without outside support, legally.

There are people that try to do this. It is the hiking equivilent to being a hobo and the rangers and other hikers refer to them as "Trail Trash". Most of them plan their trips so they will reach the southern states in the autunm, find an off the record job somewhere for the winter and then hit the trail again in spring. They often find an isolated trail shelter and set up housekeeping for weeks at a time rather than actually hiking. They bum food off other hikers as they pass through, often in an intimidating way the same as the pan handlers in cities.

"Hey buddie, you gonna eat all that spam? You got any extra Ramen noodles you can let me borrow? If you are going back home tonight you won't need that half jar of peanut butter will you?"

Most are on the run from the law or have mental issues. Eventually they will cause a fuss of some kind, get reported to the rangers, get pulled into an office and have a background check run on them. This will usually result in an arrest for outstanding warrant and they dissapear for a while into the system.

I saw this twice in my one season on the AT. First guy had an outstanding murder warrant out. He got pushey with a girl and was removed from the trail at gunpoint in handcuffs. The other showed up with backpack, survival knife and compound bow. A true survivor. He wound up in a mental hospital some where in North Carolina.

And the AT is crowded this time of year. Section hikers and weekend hikers are all over the trail. It is not unusual to have 150 or 200 hikers intrude on your "peace and quiet" and mess up your pretty view in the course of a day. The AT is only a few hours drive from most of the major population centers of the east. It was planned as a quick getaway for the urban masses. They do use it.

The myth of the AT disapears after about two days of up and down hiking and listening to the cars pass at the bottom of the hill.

Sarge47
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
"Boss, boss, de plane, de plane!" (or, here we go again!) :mellow:

Sourdough
08-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Come on up I got 8 cords of firewood that needs splitting. When your done with that I need a 1/4 mile of trench you can hand dig. I'll supply the tent in the wilderness.

Crabapple Plum
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Somebody watches too many reruns of Grizzly Adams, a purely fictional tale based on mass murderer Grisly Adams.

He dispatched his many victims with an axe and stole their stuff. You did not want to run into Grisly Adams in the mountains or on the prairie and you did not want to partake of his delicious bubbling stew.

Seniorman
08-04-2012, 02:33 PM
KYRATSHOOTER - " ... There are people that try to do this. It is the hiking equivilent to being a hobo and the rangers and other hikers refer to them as "Trail Trash".

Out here in the Rocky Mountains the rangers, etc., call them "Woods Rats." :w00t:

S.M.

LowKey
08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
How come no one ever takes SD up on his offers?
That there is real wilderness living.
:)

wtrfwlr
08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
How come no one ever takes SD up on his offers?
That there is real wilderness living.
:)
Well for me it's because I would get all the way up there and he would probably take one look at me and put me back on my donkey saying "Thanks but No Thanks!"

BENESSE
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Well for me it's because I would get all the way up there and he would probably take one look at me and put me back on my donkey saying "Thanks but No Thanks!"

If you can bust your hump, SD doesn't care what you look like. He won't be asking for your hand in marriage.

wtrfwlr
08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I might have a chance then cause I'm not much in the looks dept. but I know about work! I've had to always use my head and my hands since I've never had much money.

Antonyraison
08-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Uh.....you might start by offering some information about yourself. Things like, "I'm not an axe murderer", would probably be helpful information. Do you live in Zimbabwe or Chicago? Are you 12 of 92? Do you want to live off grid in the African Congo or Canada? I realize it's probably just details but folks seem to look for bits of information like that. Good luck anyway.

hahahah Rick what is your fascination with THE DRC (congo)

jayd
08-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Probably has family there? :-)