PDA

View Full Version : Staying clean

Monkeynick
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Greetings all, I want to know which, if any, plants found in Northern California can be used with water to clean the body. I also wanted to know the truth behind using ashes to clean the body. Any info would be great, thanks!

Rick
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
You might be interested in this thread. There are some plants listed and some information on wood ashes.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1442&highlight=soap

You might also want to go to the introduction section and introduce yourself. Welcome to the forum.

Ole WV Coot
02-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Those wood ashes you heard about work fine. Fill a container with ashes, add water and seep. While this is happening melt some animal fat, add some of the water from the wood ash, mix and let harden. You now have lye soap, guaranteed to get you clean all the way to the bone.:D:D CAUTION: WILL REMOVE SKIN

trax
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Come on now Coot, it depends on how much lye in relation to the fat, you can make some pretty good soap that won't take your skin off....

Ole WV Coot
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Come on now Coot, it depends on how much lye in relation to the fat, you can make some pretty good soap that won't take your skin off....

Well I tried washing my hair one time and haven't seen it since so I still think it's a DEEP cleaner and will unstop drains, also poison fish:eek:

RobertRogers
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, you've gotta be really careful with wood ashes and lye or you'll be chemically burned.

bulrush
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I heard of an old indian trick. They would coat their hair and body with fine silt mud, let it dry, then break it off. Any lice, and oils would go with it. I tried this once on my face. It helps but does not remove all the oils from your skin. So I scrubbed my face with sand and that helped some more.

When using any type of mud or sand, get it from an area that smells fresh, and does not smell bad or rotten. You don't want to introduce any nasty bacteria to any cuts or anything.

Monkeynick
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Very interesting! I've heard mud baths are good for your skin and it makes sense to use scrub with sand. I know the basics of making soap but I know it takes several weeks. This year I want to camp out for 1-2 weeks at a time, I'll try the mud and sand techniques and see how little soap I can keep myself from using.----------I would also like to bring as little food as possible, and want to try and snare animals (try being the operative word). Any tips on techniques that have worked for you or which animals (aside from fish) are easiest to catch and prepare?

Rick
02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
the mud pond thingy might be okay to get rid of lice and cooties but if you want to get clean do you really want to dip your mop in mud?

Carcajou posted something about burning sage and using it in the link I posted.

bulrush
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I know the basics of making soap but I know it takes several weeks.

Monkey, if you have the lye, and you have the fat, it only takes a couple hours, then overnight to let it harden up. Perhaps you are referring to letting the soap "cure" for a couple weeks. (Whatever "cure" means.)

bulrush
02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
the mud pond thingy might be okay to get rid of lice and cooties but if you want to get clean do you really want to dip your mop in mud?

Yes, I have done it. It got my hair clean(er) but did not get my scalp clean. The itchy scalp was bothering me so I had to try it. No showers or soap in sight so I gave it a go.

Rick
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
That might be dangerous to sit next to the fire that way. Mud hardens and presto, instant statue.

Beo
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Castile soap is good for the outdoors plus its biodegradable.