PDA

View Full Version : Keys, keys, keys......

hunter63
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
"He who has the most keys, is most important and wins!"

Went looking for an old compass, and ended up looking thru and cleaning out my.... jewelry, junk, save, important stuff drawer, and came across a bunch of keys.....Oh yeah and old watches, but that's another story.....

Couple I recognized, but as they were in this location,(must be a save', location?) most, I have no clue what they are for.

Now with a house, cabin, couple of trucks, 4 wheelers, boats, trailers, sheds and all sorts of relatives houses and stuff.......I have keys everywhere!

So, now, putting into practical use....say you were gonna "bug out" to your BOL, in your BOV, and tow your BOT('s) and even the trailers have key locks....What is the chance that you will get there to find .....NO KEYS!......happened during duck season last year, keys for boat on other ring in other truck....number on lock was able to get one (several) made.

Yeah, each vechical has most all keys on rings for each location, trsiler, etc and certain keys are stashed close to place of being used......But there still is a large number of keys that I just cant's bear to toss out......(boarder line hoarder?)

So how do y'all handle this and what is you idea for a G.O.O.D, SHTF, Bug out.....way to handle keys.?

natertot
03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
".........ended up looking thru and cleaning out my.... jewelry, junk, save, important stuff drawer......" Pics, or it didn't happen!

I have multiple key rings with a key for everything on them tucked in multiple locations so no matter what, I'm not without the key! Also to cut down on the number of keys, I have many things keyed alike. IE, I have two dozen padlocks, but there is only two different padlock keys. Just kinda what I do.

Pal334
03-31-2012, 03:41 PM
I have not done it, but if you have many vehicles that are key operated, maybe consider "like keying" the ignitions. I know that many police departments do it, I am not sure what it would take though.

Winnie
03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Simple get rid of all the vehicles, boats, trailers, sheds and four wheelers. Then give all the relatives their keys back. Problem solved!

Rick
03-31-2012, 04:05 PM
If you saw my key ring you wouldn't even ask. Everything is on it. I should ask the doctor why I tend to walk in circles.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2609896057_180a8e4633.jpg

That's not mine but it looks pretty darn close. Just add a couple of vehicle fobs and you're there.

hunter63
03-31-2012, 06:11 PM
".........ended up looking thru and cleaning out my.... jewelry, junk, save, important stuff drawer......" Pics, or it didn't happen!

I have multiple key rings with a key for everything on them tucked in multiple locations so no matter what, I'm not without the key! Also to cut down on the number of keys, I have many things keyed alike. IE, I have two dozen padlocks, but there is only two different padlock keys. Just kinda what I do.

Actually i have been working on this for a while.....and do have "like keying" on several sheds, trailers hitches.
Stashed keys for various locations are in place as well.

MIL house, and stuff sold, so that cut down on a lot, BIL house and stuff, same thing........ cut down on alot, as well....BUT
I still have all these keys that I don't know what to do with.....I just can't seem to "toss them out"......maybe I'll find the magic lock some day........LOL.

What do you want Pic's of, the keys?....or all the stuff?

natertot
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
What do you want Pic's of, the keys?....or all the stuff?

I was gonna say cleaned drawers........but I think I changed my mind!

natertot
03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
I have not done it, but if you have many vehicles that are key operated, maybe consider "like keying" the ignitions. I know that many police departments do it, I am not sure what it would take though.

It would take lots of $$$$$$$. Police packages all have the same key and that key style is not available to the public.

hunter63
03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
I was gonna say cleaned drawers........but I think I changed my mind!

LOL, that would have been tooooo easy, you do know that right?....LOL

hunter63
04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
So, quickly....
You have to "Get out of Dodge"....right now!.......
How long did it take to get your keys.....and if you aren't coming back, do you have them with you????

natertot
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
LOL, that would have been tooooo easy, you do know that right?....LOL

Yep. That is why I changed my mind!

Durtyoleman
04-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Strip the pins out of your locks but tell noone then any key will work with any door / car ect. if noone else knows then they assume it is a good lock. I have 3 keys that fit everything I own.

hunter63
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Strip the pins out of your locks but tell noone then any key will work with any door / car ect. if noone else knows then they assume it is a good lock. I have 3 keys that fit everything I own.

I guess I wouldn't really know how to do that.....but along the same lines, I do have a "master key" for Master padlocks (small key) left over from my factory days...will fit 99 % of all small key, stacked Master Locks.....These are on the tool boxes.

I wonder what my hardware/lock shop guy (I like old time hardware stores, rather than the big box stores),would suggest, I'm inspired to run this by him.
Thanks for the idea.

Sadly it looks like he going out of business as the shelves are getting empty....but he won't really say that.

Wildthang
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I have a key box, and all of my keys have a duplicate hanging in the box with a tag that says wht the key fits. I have every key I could normally need on the key's that I carry. I keep a ring with all the ATV's and trailor keys in the console of my truck so if I tow the trailor and forget the atv or trailer keys, a spare set is always in the truck. When you get old, you just have to outsmart yourself:eek2:

kyratshooter
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Lots of folks do not realize that a huge set of keys hanging on their car ignition will wear out the switch at a more rapid rate! I had to have a switch replaced a few years back and the mechanic said he saw it happen all the time.

I hate to carry keys!

Master makes a system of padlocks you can "same key". I have 8 of them on the sheds and trailers. They are pricey but worth the extra few dollars for a quality locks and the convinience of only one key. I have another same key set on the cabinets and lockers in the gun room.

Both my houses and the RV use the same key. If I could get the kids to change out I would pay for their new locks and eliminate two more keys I do not even carry daily.

I have eliminated the keys for all the tractors, mowers and such by installing double kill switches and fuel shutoffs that would take a thief all day to work out.

I only have 7 keys on my ring since I retired. More survival junk than keys on there now.
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q553/DonaldStancliff/081.jpg

Camp10
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
So, your telling me that keys can come out of their locks? Man, that seems like a good way to lose them! My solution is simple.. leave the key in the ignition/ lock and insure the bejeezus out of your things! Murphy's law says it wont get messed with if you have something to gain from it's loss!

Rick
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Pffffft. If you wear down one shoe faster than the other from all the weight you're carrying on one side then you might be a redneck. If you can't put one more key on your key ring then you might be a redneck. If you're keys are completely immobile and have become one large lump of metal because so many have been jammed on the key ring then you might be a redneck. If your steering column is bowed from all the weight of your key ring, you might be a redneck. If you drop your keys and they are so heavy they fall through the floor of your double wide, you might be a redneck.

canid
04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Hrm; I've got 1 motorcycle key, 1 bicycle lock key, 1 gun case key. That's about it. I'm not even sure where they are at the moment. If I had to leave the house in a hurry I suppose I'd have to fall back to my usual philosophy: "If you don't have it packed by the time you're supposed to be out the door, it must not have been important enough to bring".