PDA

View Full Version : Awful Pit....????? How to build

Sourdough
02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Do we have any active Kiwi's on here? The farms have what is called a awful Pit, or maybe it is oraful Pit. As I recall they hire this machine that drills a 6' or 10' Diameter hole 40' or 60' deep. They have a concrete cover with a heavy "Manhole" type door.

With billions of sheep. Any disease could destroy the economy of the country. The first sign of illness the sheep is culled and thrown into this pit and active lime added.

So can any of you web masters find info? Or does anyone know anything about this pits? I don't know maybe large farms in America have these type pits.

Ole WV Coot
02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
;) I had a problem with cute little kitty kats and I dug holes in the woods about 4' deep and covered with a flat rock. Each time I saw one chasing a squirrel or rabbit I stopped it, dropped it in the hole, a little lime & dirt and the flat rock back on. Only problem 30yrs later is the stone patio I have in the woods that looks kinda out of place.:D

Sourdough
02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Every time there is hoof n' mouth disease or bird flu they dig huge pits with dozer's. Why don't municipalities require massive chicken farms to have pits.

Rick
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
That seems to me to be a artillery approach for a BB sized problem. If you need it then dig it but why require everyone to dig one just because they could some day have a problem?

bulrush
02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
All I know is it is "offal pit". Offal means garbage, usually organic garbage.

Rick
02-21-2008, 01:50 PM
An offal room in a small meat plant is used to store inedible byproducts temporarily. In slaughter plants, viscera, feet, condemned parts, bones, excess fat, and other items not for human consumption are stored in this room. If hides are sold green or if blood is caught during bleeding, these containers may also be stored in the offal room. Plants that do not slaughter need an offal room for containers of bones, fat, and inedible trimmings. In some instances (because of small volume or reliable, frequent pickup) meat inspection may not require an offal room

From Layout Guide for Small Meat Plants. UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

Sourdough
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
That seems to me to be a artillery approach for a BB sized problem. If you need it then dig it but why require everyone to dig one just because they could some day have a problem?

Why, because quick action is the best way to contain the problem. And there are no BB sized Hoof n' Mouth, Small Pox, or Mad Cow out breaks.

And what are farmers to do with all the "Bug'out Butterbutts he has to cull for Looting and thievery in a TSHTF event? Not cricket to have Butterbutts rotting all over the front yard. However Hogs will eat anything, O.K. problem solved, Have Hogs and scrap the Offal Pit idea. (Hereafter Bugout looters and robbers will be called (FHF) Free Hog Food).

Rick
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I wasn't suggesting the problems were small. Most farmers I know have a front end loader of some type. It wouldn't take very long at all to dig a pit with one. All I'm saying is why dig one and maintain it unless you have a problem or a need.

Sourdough
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Odd it would be a requirement in New Zealand and not elsewhere.

Beo
02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
This whole thing stinks:D And don't know an offal lot about it.

Beo
02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
My gosh that last remark was offal.

Beo
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Holy cow, I'm having an offal time fixing this.