PDA

View Full Version : taking breaks while hiking.

randyt
03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
After reading the boot tying thread it reminded me of taking breaks while hiking. I've heard that a break should be 5 minutes and less or 20 minutes or more. I've often wondered why and if there is any merit to this. Any thoughts?

natertot
03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
That is a new one to me. I usually take 10 min breaks. It gives me time to hydrate and stretch.

BENESSE
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
...but 5 min. breaks generally work best for me. It's just enough time to rest and refresh but not too long where you loose your momentum and start feeling too relaxed. After longer breaks I tend to feel more achy once I load up and start moving again.

Wildthang
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm with Benesse, if I sit around too long, I begin feeling lazy, and it takes me longer to get back on pace!

flatlander88
03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
...but 5 min. breaks generally work best for me. It's just enough time to rest and refresh but not too long where you loose your momentum and start feeling too relaxed. After longer breaks I tend to feel more achy once I load up and start moving again.

This is what we do when we hike 14ers. Too long of a break and your muscles become too relaxed and it makes it harder to get going again.

Daniel Nighteyes
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
This is what we do when we hike 14ers. Too long of a break and your muscles become too relaxed and it makes it harder to get going again.

Actually, I would phrase it differently. Too long of a break and your muscles become stiff and sore, so that resuming the previous level of activity becomes burdensome (and even painful).

At least, that's how it used to be when I was younger.

-- Nighteyes