PDA

View Full Version : "Doomsday Bunkers" starts tonight!

Sarge47
03-07-2012, 10:08 PM
That's right boys & men, tonight on Discovery, 9PM and 11PM CST, Bunkers for the "doomers!" I'm gonna watch just to see what's up! :nod:

doug1980
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Got it recording. I like bunkers, not because I think I need one, just because I think they are cool. I want one. :)

Rick
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Is this like Archie Bunker?

natertot
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I watched it last night and it didn't seem too bad. No body was made to look like a fool. It was pretty much just telling facts about what was being done. The guy that had a bunker made seemed like he ws a pretty level headed individual, although his wife could use a little help. His bunker was pretty darn nice. I'd be happy with a bunker that could sustain for a month!

hunter63
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
I gotta tell ya, that a bunker or at least a storm cellar should be mandatory in house trailers.

Watched it and seems pricey, but at least was presented well......

nell67
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
I want a "bunker" LOL no really,we had been talking about putting a container into the hill behind the cabin,since we do not have a cellar,it would serve as both a cellar for store goods,but also as a storm shelter,been trying to talk him into it since I have been here...it could be a done deal if we can get the funds together.

natertot
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I gotta tell ya, that a bunker or at least a storm cellar should be mandatory in house trailers.

Watched it and seems pricey, but at least was presented well......

Agreed. I about fell over at the $450k price tag for a 1100sqft place. I can't help but to think that someone with a cut torch, welder, grinder, and paint sprayer could build one that size for around $25k. Might take a few months rather than a week, but the savings would be worth it.

SARKY
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with getting a couple of shipping containers, welding them together and building a bunker based on that. Those containers are pretty stout. Cover the whole thing in concrete and dirt and you are good to go! just furnish and plumb.

Rick
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Won't stand up to the weight. They are rigid at the corners and edges but not the roof and sides. they aren't designed to support weight there.

natertot
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Won't stand up to the weight. They are rigid at the corners and edges but not the roof and sides. they aren't designed to support weight there.

Very true, Rick. I was wondering though, what if you did put a few container together, then built a platform that attached to the tops to support the weight. Would you have to worry about the side bulging in still?

Wildthang
03-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Well you could reinforce them pretty cheap, and if you poured concrete with rebar over the top, that would take a lot of the weight. I think it could be done!

natertot
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I was also thinking, what if you cut th bottom off an additional container and attached it to the top? They are designed to be stacked after all and the bottom has to be able to hold weight. just a thought.

Wildthang
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I think you could put a small I beam header across the end where the door is located, runa beam down the middle, and a couple of beams from the floor up to the beam, ( mid supports ), and as narrow as they are, with that in place they would hold a tremendous amount of weigh on the top. I would dig the hole 8 inches wider than the enclosure, and pour 4 inches of concrete on the sides. The sides would easily support that thickness of the concrete pour. Then of course you would pour the top after that!

Sarge47
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I liked the idea the guy came up with for the client who had the generator stolen. Now if the guy who stole the 1st one isn't watching the show he won't know what's going on! Also, to keep the location secret do they blindfold the cameramen? :confused1:

Rick
03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Here's how you do it keeping the weight off the sides and roof. At least it's one way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo

hunter63
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I had thought of adding a "bunker" of sorts, a concrete room inside a garage or "Ag building" as a storm shelter, storage room.

And because it would be up against or partially dug into the bank, would form a thermal mass that could be heated with little or no external sources, enough to keep above freezing.

So looking at the possibility of adding a storage container (20 footer) inside the concrete room, would provide more protection and thermal mass.

This is giving me a Hummmmm moment.

Sarge47
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Speaking of bunker folks here's a mention of our former member, Jack Jobe, being interviewed on Fox news:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/07/bunker-mentalitythe-booming-business-doomsday/?test=latestnews :scared:

Wildthang
03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
You know guys, I have been thinking that staying in an underground bunker during a purely militant SHTF event, would make me feel like a rabbit in a hole just waiting to be blown out of there. I think I would just feel trapped and it would be hard to be comfortable. Now in a nuclear event, it would be the only way to go, or a huge tornado, but living in it full time would not be for me. I think I would just use it for storage and stay outside where I could at least see what was going on!

Sarge47
03-08-2012, 09:02 PM
The best "survival bunker" would be a submarine on the high seas; ain't nobody gonna getcha out there! If they try you torpedo them, right Crash? :yes:

Rick
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Me thinks they have been watching too much reality TV. Social class warfare? Gosh, I sure hope Warren Buffet is a bad shot. Oh, and for a small nominal fee we can put you up in a cozy bunker for two. Just you and the mrs. Oh, let's not talk money. That's so crass. Talk a walk with me and let me explain the advantages.......

Rick
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
"Howdy. Are you lookin' for anything special?"
"Uh, yeah. We're lookin' for a bunker that will handle five people."
"Five? Boy are you in luck. We have a five person bunker that just came in. It was owned by a little old lady in Pasadena. She just used it on week-ends to get out of the heat. God rest her soul. Why I don't think it even got dusty. Do you have a trade in?........"