PDA

View Full Version : Multiple BOB bags and forward areas

allcavalry
03-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Just a quick question, I have a large BOB bag , appx 75 lbs and a small one appx. 10 lbs, if need to bug out I would need to travel appx, 42 miles by vehicle which is no problem. If needed by foot the large bag would be rough, thinking of leaving it at forward camp along with other supplies and keeping the small in vehicle in case I need to make the trip on foot, any opinions or ideas. Am in good physical condition, prior military . thankyou

SARKY
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
First, if you are in good physical condition 75lbs shouldn't hinder you. If weight is a problem, have you thought about finding a used jogging stroller? I found a beat up one, refurbished it and can throw in excess of 100lbs on it and jog away.

Sourdough
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
First, if you are in good physical condition 75lbs shouldn't hinder you. If weight is a problem, have you thought about finding a used jogging stroller? I found a beat up one, refurbished it and can throw in excess of 100lbs on it and jog away.

Or a Mountain Bike with a Trailer. Be there in 3 hours, even through grid'lock traffic jams.

allcavalry
03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
No, thats just the pack, with the weapons your over 100 easily, lol, that is a good idea in case the old dodge doesnt run or is out of gas though, thanks for the info..

jcullen24
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Get a rubber seal-able tub, fill it with what ever you want.
Take it to your forward area. Bury it. Prepping means preparing ahead of time.

Can you run with 70lbs? Are you comfortable with 70lbs in your pack?
There's the 70lb pack we all hated, and then there's the assault or Day Bag we actually used.

Winter
05-14-2012, 09:18 PM
70 lbs is a bit on the light side for LRS. I wouldn't wanna hump it now, 13 yrs later though.

42 miles should be doable with 25 lbs or so. A 3 day pack should be ideal.

Rick
05-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I can run back and forth to the truck if the 70lbs is in the bed of the truck.

Are you guys crazy?! Who's humpin' a 70 pound pack? And why? That's just crazy talk. What could possibly happen that you'd need to hump a 70 lb. pack? Here's a better deal. Pull a gun on a big guy and make him carry it for you. You gotta think outta the box.

Winter
05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Rick, you should see some loads our Infantry types carry. It's retarded. I'd have 70lbs in just commo gear. 184 lbs is what my ruck weighed starting the field training exercise at LRSLC. I weighed 172.

I was never "ok" carrying it and found it counterproductive to the mission.

Rick
05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I sorta get military carrying that kind of weight. Sorta. But civilian? Unless you maintain a strict regimen of training no one is going to hump 70+lbs. of weight very far. I wouldn't even try. I begin to crumble at 40 lbs. The more you know the less you carry, I guess. I definitely need to know more.

BENESSE
05-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Well, at that weight you've got to decide what's more important...getting somewhere quick or having lots of stuff and advancing slowly. In my case it would be getting out of Dodge pronto. Maybe in SD's case it would be having stuff 'cause he's as far from Dodge as you can get. It's all relative, I guess.

finallyME
05-17-2012, 03:10 PM
You might be able to carry the 70+lbs now, but eventually you won't, come injury, oldness etc. It is better to plan to not have to carry it. If you can, put it in the BOL. Or, use a cart, bike etc. Also consider that carrying all that stuff makes you a target.

jcullen24
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I remember an adage from the Army;

Don't encumber yourself to the point of crippling yourself!

Rick
05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
consider that carrying all that stuff makes you a target.

A very slow target.