PDA

View Full Version : Go bag suggested contents

Dough Boy
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I am building a 48 hour Go-Bag in case I have to leave the city my destination is a 12 hour by path, but the path is an old railway line and is heavily used, if I want to stay off the radar the hike could be up to 48 hours of zigzagging x-country. I have a list but this is a bit of a exercise to see what others may put in the pack that I have either not accounted for, a piece of gear that may be a little more appropriate that what I have for the same job, and what I don't see being carried that I have thought I would carry.

Terrain is Boreal Forests, and farming, temperatures could be sub freezing at times, the pack I am using is a Maxpedition Falcon-2. Point A to point B 48 hours max. Ability to avoid people may be needed dependant on the scenario. What would your check list look like?

Rick
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
A lot will have to do with your needs. Since you have a list, why not post it and let other's critque it. The other piece of the BOB is testing it to see if what you think will meet your needs actually does. After a few tests you'll know what you need but don't have and what you have but don't need.

BENESSE
03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
After a few tests you'll know what you need but don't have and what you have but don't need.
In other words, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Or if you prefer, two is one, one is none.

allcavalry
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I think if you only need to go about 48 hrs and have access to more supplies I would not fuss much with any serious food, maybe some energy bars for protein, for a fire if needed, I personally enjoy a bit of steel wool and a nine v. battery. a pair of socks or two and a water filtration bottle to name just a few things.

Winter
03-02-2012, 11:29 PM
48 hr walk. hmmm

I'd go really light but carry at least 8000 calories to ensure your strength and speed. Your 2 day trip may be 4 due to unforeseen circumstances brought about by varying possible scenarios.

AllCav's suggestion of a water filtration bottle is a good one. You don't wanna be carrying a gallon of water.

Make sure you walk your route with your pack once or twice. You may find a faster way or find a serious obstacle you didn't know was there.
I used to take a shortcut to the RR tracks, as a kid, through a small cattle farm. The old boys old bull died and he got another one. The new one was satan. Short cut was no more.

Power line easements are "as the crow flies" usually. That could save you alot of time.

Train tracks are a great avenue for a BO though. Around large cities they are scumbag magnets with homeless, drug-dealers, petty thieves, etc- best avoided till you get more suburban. Be alert for ambush at every bridge if the scenario is civil disobedience or insurgency. If you carry very little, your chance of being a target also decreases dramatically. A simple garbage bag over your $200 pack may help you blend in a bit.

I'm rambling.

Focus on food, water, socks, and light shelter.

BENESSE
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
A simple garbage bag over your $200 pack may help you blend in a bit.
Focus on food, water, socks, and light shelter.

Not if you look like the Hunchback Of Notre Dame.

If you wanna blend in more, distribute your carry all over your body in cargo pockets, vest, a fanny pack, etc, throw over that a dark hoodie and loose slouchy gym pants and you'll look like another fat person waddling around.

Winter
03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
The problem with that B is that he will move like one as well with his gear bouncing around.

I see your point though. Maybe wear the ruck under your parka, tight and thin.

Wildthang
03-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Dont forget a pistol and ammo! Get your new bag all dirty and full of holes and look as much like a hobo as possible. Put hello kitty stickers all over your backpack so you will appear to be totally nuts, and sing Dixie at tha top of your voice when people are around! Put duct tape all over your shoes even if they are new, and grow a scraggly beard.
Do not take a shower for a month so you will stink like crazy. Then walk straight to your BOL, and forget about zig zagging!

hunter63
03-03-2012, 01:45 PM
How about carrying a "beggers cup" along with the rest........?

Wildthang
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
How about carrying a "beggers cup" along with the rest........?

Yeah, and talk like Clem Kadidlehopper:eek2:

Sourdough
03-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I always start with the things most critical for my survival. If the backpack weighs 70 or 80 pounds well so be it. I also assume I am nearly naked, with 4 seconds to vacate (roof caves in from snow load or earthquake) the cabin in the darkest night, with 5 feet of snow on the ground.

Sarge47
03-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Not if you look like the Hunchback Of Notre Dame.

If you wanna blend in more, distribute your carry all over your body in cargo pockets, vest, a fanny pack, etc, throw over that a dark hoodie and loose slouchy gym pants and you'll look like another fat person waddling around.

Better yet, wear just the backpack, cowboy boots, and a hong and everybody will stay the crap away from you, guaranteed! :cowboy:

BENESSE
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Might could work, Sarge, especially here.
They're staying away from this guy; why, I've never seen anyone around him much, especially not the natives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyRH3BOsdc

hunter63
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I didn't know that this guy was actually a 'franchise' that you can pay the fee and do this for money........
Larry The Cable Guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sIV16E33oM

NightShade
03-04-2012, 03:49 PM
As others have said, For a 48 hr bag it may be wise to pack some high caloric energy/protein bars. It will save space and weight while still providing you with needed nutrition. 8000 calories over 2 days is much higher than the average person's daily intake. But, if you're grabbing your bag and "going" , chances are you'll be burning more calories than average.

kyratshooter
03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
There are a lot of people in my community that are living out of their "go bags" right this moment.

Thing is they are not in the forest, they are in a Motel 6 down the road and having clean clothes is more important to them than anything they would use in the "boreal forest", three ways to make fire or having the proper hi-tech pack. They do not need the latest camo, 5,000 rounds of ammo or night vision and motion sensors for the parimeter security or 50 pounds of gold bullion.

Some of them were in despirate need of their medical records and a couple of them should have had their wills in order.

In 99.99% of the situations we face, having a usable debit/credit card and a thumbdrive with important data is the key to survival.

Folks, you do not run TO the woods to escape civilization and survive, you survive in the woods so you can get to civilization.

Preps should be geared toward the real life nightmares most likely to happen on any given day (fire/flood/weather), not around our Walter Mitty daydreams.

hunter63
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Amen.......Well said.

Can't give ya some rep for this says I need to spread it around........

Rick
03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Dang, KY, that was an excellent post. May I add one caveat. That debit card will only be good if there is electricity. Make certain you have cash in small bills. This is exactly what my go bag is geared toward. Clean clothes, a shave, my daily meds and some cash. I'm glad you aren't sitting in the same motel and that your home came through relatively unscathed (minus the tree).

Sourdough
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
There are a lot of people in my community that are living out of their "go bags" right this moment.

Preps should be geared toward the real life nightmares most likely to happen on any given day (fire/flood/weather), not around our Walter Mitty daydreams.

That is why my pack starts with (2) two sleeping bags, Refrigawear snow suit, pack boots, arctic clothing. This "IS" everything I need to live 24 hours or even 72 hours in Alaska.

HarvKY
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
+1 on the above caveat....

I think its smart to have thumbdrive(s) with all important legal, financial, contact, and family/personal identification info stored in all BOB's or bugout locations to help facilitate easier access and interaction with public institutions & businesses once things would (hopefully) settle down.

Having experienced just 9/11 and the multiple day east coast blackout while living in NYC, you realize you cannot count upon using your debit/credit cards, electronic gov't funds transactions, cell phone, or computer/internet access and the like. Even without any hostile activities occuring it made one realize how unprepared most folks are for just an unprovoked system glitch.

Sufficient amounts of cash(smaller bills better) and/or barter goods(like bulk silver coins) in extreme situations, should rank pretty high on ones checklist IMO.
The annoyance & hassle of being turned away at fast food places, gas stations, etc. when their computer is "down" and they cant even ring up a cash transaction without the computer gives us a glimpse of what a serious hack or long term emergency situation would do to us.

Cheers anyway,
Harv

Rick
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I wear my thumbdrive around my neck. It contains my medical records, In Case of Emergency contacts, Durable Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney and Donor Form. All signed and duly witnessed.

DogMeatUK
03-13-2012, 05:42 AM

Thing is they are not in the forest, they are in a Motel 6 down the road and having clean clothes is more important to them than anything they would use in the "boreal forest", three ways to make fire or having the proper hi-tech pack. They do not need the latest camo, 5,000 rounds of ammo or night vision and motion sensors for the parimeter security or 50 pounds of gold bullion.

Some of them were in despirate need of their medical records and a couple of them should have had their wills in order.

In 99.99% of the situations we face, having a usable debit/credit card and a thumbdrive with important data is the key to survival.

Folks, you do not run TO the woods to escape civilization and survive, you survive in the woods so you can get to civilization.

That’s a great post. Really helps people like me wake up a bit. Thanks