PDA

View Full Version : dentistry survival

SemperFi
03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Im going through a thing right now where I have several molars that need root canals (my left jaw aches) , It got me to thinking , what would I do in a survival situation to alleviate the distress (pain /discomfort)? I really dont know , if I were in the field what would my options be? are there some plants/roots that could help me ease the pain ? Long term , how would extract a tooth? all questions are relative ,because I really dont know what I would do , if I somehow pulled the tooth (i would think I would pass out) would I need a red hot poker to cauterize the wound? Trust me I have a high pain endurance , even at home Im not scheduled for anything until next Tuesday and this pain is enormous , I got them to give me some antibiotics because I know the teeth are infected (they wont pull it if its really infected [one of the teeth will be pulled]) .I believe its helping a bit , but I also have been using antihistamines because it seems to shut the swelling /throbbing down , I also have benzocaine for instant relief (numbing the area, this is an excellent piece for a bb ) I would love to here your thoughts and anyone in the dental field a big plus for your expert knowledge!

crashdive123
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Having needed it a couple of times - I carry Ambesol. Between that and a heavy dose of ibuprofen it took enough of the edge off until I could get it fixed (a few days). Short of that I guess I could try the tombstone method that was posted a while back........never mind........probably not.

Rick
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I have ambesol as well. I carry Vicodin and Cipro in the medical kit so if it were bad enough I could use those until I got back to civilization assuming it was impacted. I wouldn't try to pull it. If you broke the tooth in the process you'd be worse off than just having the bad tooth. Either way you wouldn't need to cauterize it. It's no different than a cut. It will clot and heal.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Where There is no Dentist. You can download it free or purchase a copy from Hesperian Books. Scroll down on this page and you'll see it:

http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/

If you don't have to have the tooth pulled then don't do it. There is no substitute for natural teeth unless you're willing to spend for an implant. Having the root canal and having the tooth capped is plenty serviceable.

kyratshooter
03-02-2012, 02:37 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?18360-survival-dentistry

Good Lord, the last post is not even a week old!

I'd be more worried about my short term memory loss than a bad tooth!!!

Rick
03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Who has a bad tooth? We should post on that.

tsitenha
03-02-2012, 08:52 PM
A couple of my friends have use a dental filling compound that seal and protects the cavity/broken tooth till you reach an emergecy clinic or a dentist.
We get it a the pharmacy, small vial and it works OK. Last time used was a month ago, broken tooth that was repaired on the side of the road till he got home a few hours later.
As far as pain is concerned above mentioned work well, brandy is not bad :)

Rick
03-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Who's Brandy?

crashdive123
03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Meet Brandy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXqJgtdXah66BIZ4ubgy2W4SP7-CVT8l1Axwm1HkjXs816J7BF

kyratshooter
03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Meet Brandy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXqJgtdXah66BIZ4ubgy2W4SP7-CVT8l1Axwm1HkjXs816J7BF

Just wondering Crash, did you have a dentist on the submarine or were they simply issuing Brandy to make you forget the pain until you hit a port?

crashdive123
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
No dentist or doctor on submarines. Just a Corpsman that always did a great job. Very few port calls on the type of submarines I was on, so thoughts of Brandy would have to be just that......thoughts.:innocent:

Wildthang
03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I have ambesol as well. I carry Vicodin and Cipro in the medical kit so if it were bad enough I could use those until I got back to civilization assuming it was impacted. I wouldn't try to pull it. If you broke the tooth in the process you'd be worse off than just having the bad tooth. Either way you wouldn't need to cauterize it. It's no different than a cut. It will clot and heal.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Where There is no Dentist. You can download it free or purchase a copy from Hesperian Books. Scroll down on this page and you'll see it:

http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/

If you don't have to have the tooth pulled then don't do it. There is no substitute for natural teeth unless you're willing to spend for an implant. Having the root canal and having the tooth capped is plenty serviceable.

Man if I did much Vicodin out in the woods, I'd probably just sit down by a tree, and sleep. The last time I did that stuff, it made me feel like Tony the friggin Tiger then I just wanted to sleep!

Wildthang
03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Meet Brandy.

I would care how bad my teeth hurt If I was with her.

vahtryn
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
My plan for dentistry if everything falls apart? I've already replaced several teeth with dental implants. Yeah it hurts, it sucks. If I have to get a root canal I just have the dentist rip the tooth out, drill a spike into my jaw and have a composite put in place.

Rick
03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Man if I did much Vicodin out in the woods, I'd probably just sit down by a tree, and sleep. The last time I did that stuff, it made me feel like Tony the friggin Tiger then I just wanted to sleep!

The idea is to decrease pain but still be able to function and do what needs to be done. Vicodin doesn't have that affect on me so I can take it will no side effects other than pain reduction. Everyone, of course, is different and they need to find the right analgesic for them. That can be a real benefit if you break an arm or leg and have to wait for SAR. No point in being in agony for X hours if you don't have to be.

My plan for dentistry if everything falls apart? I've already replaced several teeth with dental implants. Yeah it hurts, it sucks. If I have to get a root canal I just have the dentist rip the tooth out, drill a spike into my jaw and have a composite put in place.

I've had a number of root canals and caps installed. I've never found it that bad. The root canal removes the nerve from the tooth so you never have to worry about that tooth hurting again, which is a plus. Everyone is obviously different. Cudos for the implants. My wife had one installed and it's an amazing process. Modern medicine does some amazing things.

vahtryn
03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
my problem rick is that I have been in so many surgeries and spent so much time on opiates for my bone cancer that anesthesia does nothing for me. You literally have to put me at an almost overdose to knock my *** out for anything of that nature. Since my insurance does charge per dose of lidocaine I decide to just live with the pain as a bar is drilled into my jaw. Just one of those things us genetic defects have to deal with.

Rick
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I get it. As I said everyone is different and we do what we have to do. A lot of folks would have had dentures made but you elected to have the implants, which I think is excellent. I think you'll have a better quality of life with them and much less aggravation. Just my opinion of course.