PDA

View Full Version : Using a Bolas in survival....

Beo
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone here used a bolas as a hunting weapon?
The bola is another field-expedient weapon that is easy to make. It is especially effective for capturing running game or low-flying fowl in a flock. To use the bola, hold it by the center knot and twirl it above your head. Release the knot so that the bola flies toward your target. When you release the bola, the weighted cords will separate. These cords will wrap around and immobilize the fowl or animal that you hit.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8119/bolasre9.th.png (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bolasre9.png)http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6021/boleadorasmb4.th.gif (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boleadorasmb4.gif)

trax
02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Waaay above your head, or else you clunk yourself on the noggin with the weighted ends and the cords wrap around your neck and you choke yourself out...or, ummm....so I've heard :rolleyes: :o

Beo
02-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Hurt didn't it:D

trax
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Hurt didn't it:D

Uh yeah, that's what he told me...said it hurt a lot, second hand information you understand....:o (Actually we used to make pretty primitive ones when we were kids and I got not bad with them, but I have seen a few guys do what I described. Saw a guy clock himself with a set of nunchuks once too, that was hilarious)

Alpine_Sapper
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I've seen many people clock themselves with 'chucks. It's part of learning. And typically you learn real fast not to do it anymore, or give them up. It's still one of my prefered hand held weapons. Not many hand to hand weapons move with the velocity of a flail, and unless your using rope bindings it's pretty good defense against blades. But hell, you'd be amazed how much damage you can inflict with a pair of practice chucks tightly wrapped in duct tape.

trax
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
This guy was funniest because he was trying to come across like a pro to a bunch of young kids that were watching him and they were all wide-eyed,thinking that he was. But it was pretty apparent he was just quick and figuring it out as he went along, then "whack" not quick enough, sat himself down on his butt. You could envision the little birdies floating around in front of his eyes

Ole WV Coot
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Forget the 'chucks, a walking stick or cane properly used is a great offensive & defensive weapon you can carry it anywhere if your my age. Don't think I could make it thru an airport swinging a bolo or chucks but my cane goes most everywhere with me even tho I don't need it.

crashdive123
02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Note to self (stay away from man with cane)

pgvoutdoors
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I've gotten pretty good with a bolas, it took a little to get the timing down but a great weapon for birds. I watched a Boy Scout learn how to use one in a weekend, he was good. Most people need a bit more time but this an easily made weapon and worth the effort to learn how use one.

dilligaf2u2
02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
I use a cane at times. I have one close at hand at all times. I have broke a few trying them out to see if they would hold up as a defense weapon. None of the wood ones have. Now the metal one has potential.

I do practice with it. Walking and defensive preparations. A cane can easily be over looked and yet it can be a very dramatic attitude adjuster.

I have a friend that has a very supple leather belt. He wears it in a way he can have it off in seconds and either snap it like a 36" whip or swing the buckle in a most interesting and debilitating way.

I have seen him take a broken bottle out of a guys hand and cut the guys hand in the process with it one time. It is a most effective weapon and looking at him you would not think that little runt could stand his ground.

Yes he knows I call him a runt. He is 1 " shorter then I and never been over 110 lbs in his life, the fink!

Don

crashdive123
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I use a cane at times. I have one close at hand at all times. I have broke a few trying them out to see if they would hold up as a defense weapon. None of the wood ones have. Now the metal one has potential.

Reminds me of a guy on the first submarine I was on. We were doing nightsick training. Norman said that he didn't like these wooden ones. When I asked him why, he said that he would always break them over somebody's head when breaking up a bar fight. Since he had to pay to replace them, he went with the fiberglass ones. He said he hadn't found a head that could break one. He was a deputy sherrif in New Mexio. Oh yeah - Norman was 6' 3" and about 275lbs.

Your story brought back a fun memory for me - thanks.

dilligaf2u2
02-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I might know Norman. I live in NM. The cops in this county have all gone to the cork or sand filled aluminum batons. I myself found a steel cane and pained it red. It is a bit heaver then the others but it will not easily break. Oh I have had this one for over 5 years. Now if I could find one out of raton bamboo again, I would be a very happy guy. Cold steel stopped carring them.

Don

crashdive123
02-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, bamboo is great. Quite a bit of it growing around here. Lot's of good uses.

bulrush
02-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm thinkin' "baton to head = permanent brain damage = lawsuit = no more job."

Beo
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, that's a suit waiting to be filed. We had PR-24s and PR-21s and they were replaced by the tazer except for riots, the tazer is real atention getter and works great with no permanent damage. The barbs leave a pin hole that close up fast, but its a great tool in Law Enforcement.

Ole WV Coot
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Look up Bartitsu. I learned some single stick years ago, don't have the reflexes and agility now but I learned this quickly and easily and have no problem combining it with other stuff. I made my own cane out of straight grain hickory, polished knob and really won't break if used correctly. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned a cane, now we will have to register them and have a carry permit. Oh well, back to my '45 I guess.

Alpine_Sapper
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
There are many martial arts that use a cane, not just Bartitsu. Some forms of Tai-Chi even incorporate a cane, as well as many Shaolin "soft" styles. There's even a market for "combat canes", although most have a hook or beak instead of a knob.

trax
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I think I kinda shouldn't have mentioned the nunchuks. Canes are great weapons, but I think bolas are way better for knocking down prey, especially birds.

Rick
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Flaming bolas anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0F6bAYj6Ag&feature=related

Alpine_Sapper
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow...how did this thread get back on topic? ^_^

Rick
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Trax is the rock of the forum. He generally ensures that all threads are rerouted back to the originally subject. So, our hats off to him for us bring back where we should be.

nell67
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Yea he has a great foundation:D

Rick
02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
(head slap) Doh!

nell67
02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Rick,you really must stop doing that,there is bound to be some permanant damage,if not now,soon????LMAO!!!!!!