PDA

View Full Version : speaking of tom brown

wareagle69
02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
i have spent a great deal of time reading about tom and what people say about him heres my take

i posted the thread a couple of weeks ago called should have never done it about me building the wife a book shelf and her suggestion to put all my survival books in one spot. well
i rediscovered tom browns field guide to wilderness survival basically my first book of many more to come i have over one hundred of them now but toms books were there when no one else had books out(yes sarge i know the boy scout manuel was out already)before it was popular to be a "survivalist" i reread his book the last couple of weeks kind of like reconnecting with an old friend it does not matter to me if tom was riased by stalking wolf or not whether or not he actually knows anything about survival( only those who studied with him can answer that) but his books are packed full of information that is tried and true so have i learned from a supposed fake? you bet your arse i have.
i always try to keep an open mind. I have learned to remember the basics from kids(as adults we like to complicate things with our superior knowledge)

i sem to remember a guy that was proven to be a fake by the name of archie greyowl but he was also know as a man ahead of his time.
so the end result about tom brown is does he have something to teach?

always be prepared.

trax
02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
and I may be missing a few spokes, wobbly wheels, ya know what I'm saying?

But, in the posting earlier, I did not mean to cast any disparaging remarks on the quality of material that Mr. Brown produces, certainly in his books and I'm sure in his classes too (although I can't afford them to go find out for myself). Greyowl was an interesting analogy to draw, make believe Indian but he basically saved the Canadian beaver from extinction.

Beo
02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Personally I like Tom Brown Jr. fake or not his books taught me a lot and I think they're great, met him in person once and he's a real low key'd nice guy. Never took his class as they are too expensive for me too.