PDA

View Full Version : what do you store

wareagle69
02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
kind of like wildwomans how much food this is what do you store

rice beans whole wheat flower, pasta peanut buttter, corn meal, mac and cheese powder, buckwheat powder, pancake powder, water, white/brown sugar, ramen noodles, rolled oats, tang/hot chocolate/ instant coffee, plus assortment of canned goods.
also my 19 ft travel trailer runs on propane and i have 3 propane containers full at all times, assorment of emergency candles 20 cords of dry wood for heat and or cooking lots of cast iron cook ware.

toilet paper,deodorant, femine products, soap, duct tape,bleach

think of anything i missed

Sourdough
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Sardines, one can per day. Remember "Sardines" they are not just for breakfast any more.:eek:

What is pilot bread for if not sardines??????:eek:

BraggSurvivor
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
femine products

umm, what for?

Sam
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
femine products

umm, what for?

Wareagle is married. And some things are good for trading. ;)

Stealth
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
and i think keeping the wife happy would be the first and most important step if you want to survive

beerrunner13
02-18-2008, 11:55 PM
and i think keeping the wife happy would be the first and most important step if you want to survive

You got that right

wareagle69
02-19-2008, 06:54 AM
let me be the first to go there
yo BS your married right? are you stocking up just for yourself or the whole family besides a heavy duty maxi pad could make an effective dressing lets ask adventure doc

Sam
02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
let me be the first to go there
yo BS your married right? are you stocking up just for yourself or the whole family besides a heavy duty maxi pad could make an effective dressing lets ask adventure doc
Not to go into details, I was with a team that lost most of our gear crossing a river. The Corpsman with us traded a watch or something for supplies (was being a lump with a hole in my chest) later that night rebandaged the wound with a maxipad.:eek:

nell67
02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Yup,they make excellent first aid bandages,plenty absorbent,and sanitary,plus I know a guy who put one on the butt of a gun that kicked like a mule (well covered with duct tape) to lessen the impact when firing,they have many uses than the original intended use.

RobertRogers
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
A gallon of olive oil. Food oils are going to be in short supply very quickly. Provide a huge amount of calories too.

nell67
03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
salt,pepper and other spices,tuna,splenda,tea bags,hot chocolate,honey.molasses,baby wipes.

Sam
03-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I lucked into a stash of 'army' boots, 10 pairs, mixed sizes (two pair fit me) the rest went in the trading section. Shoes are always popular.

Riverrat
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
As a side note, I see on the news that anything made with wheat is going up in price...flour, pasta, cerals....and anything else, as the price of wheat is going up because so many farmers are switching to corn for bio-desiel...

crashdive123
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
...and with that, everything else will rise in price. Feed for cattle costs more. In addition to wheat, other crops will be "downsized" in order to profit from the corn/ethanol craze. Let's just hope that barley and hops are not among the crops to suffer.:D

canid
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
i keep a lot of stuff around, but importantly, i try to keep things on hand like seed [i keep it on hand mostly for brewing, but they
're all viable strains, if you can malt it, you can grow it].

i currently have about 10lb of 6row barley [if i don't make beer every now and then i get cranky], some inca purple corn [produces large ears/kernels; still a rather wild corn strain tollerant of many environmental fluctuations], many herbs, as i like my food as flavorful as possible and the only really good flavored herbs i can gather wild around here are california laurel [bay], seeds of some of our wild mustards, a short season for fennel in the spring and occasionaly mint.

i make a lot of breads, frybread, etc so i have a fair supply of flour and meal of various grains like organic wheat, corn, flax, amaranth, etc.

i have lemon, orange and grapefruit trees and roses that produce almost golf-ball sized hips.

other than that, and the boxed junk that some of my family eats, i mostly keep stocked on fresh produce.

we keep 20gal of water on hand [and an electric water cooler of course], tools/hardware for building/repair.

mostly everyday stuff i could use at any time, but which would hold me in good stead through natural disaster, financial troubles, etc for a few months at least.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Bananas, Lots of them, For when the radiation turns us all into monkeys

trax
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Bananas, Lots of them, For when the radiation turns us all into monkeys

I think you can go ahead and start eating now Tony.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I think you can go ahead and start eating now Tony.

........What trax.......Just let me finish these............. Ahhhhh much better now..............

canid
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
"i don't like bananas! i prefer banana flavored energy bars made from tofu..."

Rick
03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I have assorted can goods and pasta, flour, sugar and some dehydrated foods. I keep powdered milk and eggs on hand and I always keep some meats in the freezer. Beyond that, I have two weeks worth of food in my BOB. I have some extra ammo (though not as much as some of you folks. Enough to hunt with). I could last two months without much trouble. If it were spring, I would hunt and forage to supplement until my garden started coming in. Summer or Fall I would be in good shape and could add a month or two to my stores. Winter would be a bit tougher. I'd have to manage my stores and hunt a lot if I had to make it through the winter.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
"i don't like bananas! i prefer banana flavored energy bars made from tofu..."

To bad for you :p

bulrush
03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Don't forget your fruits and veggies. You need vitamins too.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Don't forget your fruits and veggies. You need vitamins too.

Vitamins ????? Piffffffttttt

I need Irn Bru !!!

crashdive123
03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I store:

3 cases mre's
about one month of freeze dried camp food
50 lbs white rice
50 lbs brown rice
40 lbs assorted beans, peas
various quantities of tuna, peanut butter, canned goods, coffee, spices, batteries
200 gal of water
100 gal of fuel
repair supplies (tarps, lumber, pre-cut plywood for windows, straps, ropes)

canid
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
na, i like my produce fresh. don't take multivitamins either, unless i'm in a pinch. i suppose it helps that i live somewhere food grows year round.

trax
03-04-2008, 06:32 PM
To bad for you :p

How does he think up those snappy comebacks? There's yer witty banter folks, right there, yep, doesn't get any cleverer than that. You go get 'em banana boy.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
How does he think up those snappy comebacks? There's yer witty banter folks, right there, yep, doesn't get any cleverer than that. You go get 'em banana boy.

I read commic books from the 70s :D

nell67
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I read commic books from the 70s :D

Got lots of pictures,eh Tony???