PDA

View Full Version : rethink location of supplies in home

kg5388
02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
tornado's ravaged the mid south last week. My friend was more prepared than most with stocked supplies but his house was turned into a pile of sticks while he and his family hid in the bathtub with a mattress over them.They made it through the storm with just a few scratches but his supplies in the garage were just scattered across the neighborhood. He was able to grab his BOB out of his overturned truck and was able to set up a quick shelter from the heavy rain until help arrived 2 hours later. The shelter they were taken to had vending machines but no one had change with them. The BOB took care of them till I made it to the shelter and took them home with me.

Short of putting a concrete shelter in the back yard I think i will buy one of those big metal job boxes like construction workers use to keep my supplies safe from the weather and locked up from scavengers if I'm away from home after a disaster like this.

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe two rolls of quarters in every BOB. I can now see why you'all have BOB's. Glad your friend made it with only scratches.

beerrunner13
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree Hopeak I keep a roll of quaters and Susan B dollare in all my BOBs and in every vechical as well as a couple ammo cans buried in the yard with basic supplies.

crashdive123
02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Ditto with the quarters in the BOB's. I also keep a pack of small bills (1's, 5's, 10's). If ATM's and banks are not accessible and you need to buy stuff It'll keep you from getting gouged by not having close to exact change.

dilligaf2u2
02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Location! Location! Location!

Depending on what might come down the pike is what you have to plan for.

Where I live we do not get Tornado's, Hurricanes, Volcano's, Earthquakes.

I guess; I am either smart or lucky. Ok I did do research before I moved, on natural disasters in this area. Flash floods are the biggest threat I have to deal with on a regular basis but not on top of this mesa.

Don

crashdive123
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Many of the people that fled this fire did so with no shoes, shirts, coats. Temps were in the 20's last night. So, as was stated at the start of the thread "rethink locaction of supplies in home" My BOB's are near the door. If I have to go out a back window, I'm not going to have it. I have enough in another location on the property to do fine, but a story like that (or the tornado) sure makes you evaluate what you're doing.
http://www.cbs47.com/content/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=2361932d-0751-491f-998b-bbc7702ccb06

canid
02-28-2008, 07:41 PM
does your house have a foundation? you'd be supprised what can survive a tornado just by being bolted to a few tons of concrete. a safe or the like tucked away in a closet can be nice, and it gives you a place to keep irreplacables and the like.

Rick
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Some of you guys poked fun at me when I listed the documents that you need to keep on hand. But think about the documents those folks now need (tornado or fire). Things like professional licenses so they can work or a list of account numbers (bank and investment). Perhaps citizenship papers or military if you are active duty. Having copies of those things in your BOB could make putting your life back together a whole lot easier.

Rick
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
As for the location of supplies, I think there will always be situations that will outwit you. Murphy's law will see to it that no matter what we do to protect ourselves there will always be events that can defeat our plan. If you have BOBs in your vehicles and one in your home then you stand a reasonably good chance of having SOMETHING to fall back on. I suppose the only other thing you could do would be to store a BOB at a relative or trusted friends house and have them store one at yours. With my luck, those would be the only two houses destroyed.:o