PDA

View Full Version : Have some tent questions, Please help

chopp29
02-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Well my questions is, I am looking for a very light wieght 1-2 man back packing sytle tent, something very compact and easy to set up. The climate I will be camping in is the southern louisiana area. Also at one time a good while back I had saw thses tents that you just kinda throug open and they just popped up when you through them. Does anyon know what Im talking about? Any info on this particular tent are adive on others are good websites would be appreciated. thanks.:)

Beo
02-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Try here
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1568

chopp29
02-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Beowulf

Beo
02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
No problem, the diamond I use is 7x7 and sleeps 2 comfortably and is easy to make. Total cost was about $35.00 plus tax, but not more than $50.00 and Ive had mine for 3 years with no problems. Plus it just feels good to know you made it.

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
A QUESTION TO ASK ONESELF, Do you want a four season tent, a three season test, or a tent for when it never rains, snows, or the wind blows.

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
tent sleeping might as well pull a grylli vannilli and stay at the super8 motel
build a lean to look at the stars buy a bivy sac get in touch with nature why seperate from it

always be prepared

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 01:39 PM
tent sleeping might as well pull a grylli vannilli and stay at the super8 motel
build a lean to look at the stars buy a bivy sac get in touch with nature why seperate from it

always be prepared

wareagle69, You've never camped on the Alaska Peninsula, in the fall.

BruceZed
02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Try this, I have used it since 1990 and it is still going, including on the West Coast of BC. It is expensive, but the one lay laminate system seems toward better on tents than on jackets etc.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=736&CFID=116434&CFTOKEN=47195968&mainproducttypeid=5

hope this helps

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 07:51 PM
wareagle69, You've never camped on the Alaska Peninsula, in the fall.

are you talking bugs or weather i've camped in some no fun situations still do not see the need for a tent

chopp29
02-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I appreciate all the input guys, and to answer your question HOPEAK i will be doinbg most of my camping in southern louisiana where the weather changes very rapidly, rainy, humid, hot, cold, so I guess a 4 season tent right?

dilligaf2u2
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I took 2 pieses of Gortex cloth and made myself a 9X11 tarp. It is not as light as nylon but if it is needed, it can be wrapped around me in a bivi kind of use and still breaths.

I also found a heavy canvas 10X10 tarp on sale. It is over 12 lbs and for carrying in the truck it offers a lot of protection. Once I get the camper shell on the truck I'll rig it so I can use it off the back of the truck with a couple tent poles and guide lines.

I have several tents in 2, 4 and one 6 man. There are so many tent desighns out there these days, I it hard to keep up with them all.

Unless I were in an area with sheeters, I would use a tarp.

Don

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
are you talking bugs or weather i've camped in some no fun situations still do not see the need for a tent

Wind to 118 MPH measured, Generally the wind is 45 MPH to 85 MPH. The Rain is like a monsoon. And we get to live there for 90 days every fall in a tent. We have very special tents. The night it hit 118 MPH I put the two clients face down, and put 50 pound bags of salt on their legs, and agenst their shoulders to hold them down. The tent and the whole camp was spread over 30 miles in a straight line. But the wind keeps the bugs down.

crashdive123
02-17-2008, 09:21 PM
But the wind keeps the bugs down.

I guess!:eek::D:eek:

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
ok maybe i'm missing the point why the tent? what benefit or advantage does it offer you

chopp29
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Wareagle69 you posted Originally Posted by wareagle69

You have obviously never camped in Southern Louisiana I agree in some areas are situations a tent might not be needed, but Louisiana is not one of them.

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
explain the reasons please

chopp29
02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Rain, wind, snakes, alligators, cayotes, ticks, redbugs, spiders, mosquitos, etc......

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I appreciate all the input guys, and to answer your question HOPEAK i will be doinbg most of my camping in southern louisiana where the weather changes very rapidly, rainy, humid, hot, cold, so I guess a 4 season tent right?

chopp29, The main difference between a tent Classified a three season Vs. one rated for Four season, is the rain fly comes down to the ground on the Four season. On the three season the fly will be about 6" from the ground. Do you have a REI store near by. My guess is you will want at least two different tents for summer or winter. One thing is for sure, in 24 months you will know more that anyone about the perfect tent for Louisiana. We don't have any snakes in Alaska.

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
do the sabine and delta wildlife refuges count as southern louisiana?
so a tent will protect you from all these demons will it? have you ever camped in grizzly country
did you know that you can make a stand that keeps you off the ground away from most of the creepy crawlies

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Chopp29, Look up North face and get there catalog, not to buy a North face tent, but to learn about features.

chopp29
02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Compared to where i live and camp, no sabine and the delta area do not compare. And no, I know a tent will not protect me from everything, but it sure will help when it comes to alot of things. Id rather be in a tent than not in one at all atleast in my area. And yes i have camped in grizzley country. And once again thanks hopeak for the advice. The only decent outdoor stores we have close by is an Academy and a Cabelas about 4 hours away. But as everyone says, the best thing about this forum is everyone is intitled to thier own opinion.........

wareagle69
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
that is the beauty isn't it. the point i'm trying to make is the same one from the what would you take thread from a few months ago 98 percent said a knife only me and fvr said otherwise i think people put too much into modern technology and then have a mental breakdown when confronted with a situation where they no longer have that certain peice of equipment available to them best of luck to ya and oh ya

always be prepared.

Sourdough
02-17-2008, 10:19 PM
wareagle69, The clients are paying $1,500.- to $2,000.- per day to hunt for Big Game. They are not paying for a primitive camping experience. It is my job to keep them safe.

Sarge47
02-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Check out this month's (March) copy of "Backpacker" magazine; it's their gear guide issue and there is a ton of info on the very questions you are asking. Also they field test many of the products themselves and give their reccomendations for the best, in their expert opinion. Also here's some links...

www.backpacker.com www.rei.com.

Hope this helps.:cool:

Aurelius95
02-18-2008, 08:45 AM

I think a 3 season tent would be fine for LA. You will not have the sub zero temps there, nor 3 feet of snow to worry about.

Sarge47
02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I think a 3 season tent would be fine for LA. You will not have the sub zero temps there, nor 3 feet of snow to worry about.
3 season will do you just fine unless you're going to climb a mountain; the 4 season tents do not breathe very much, keeping the body heat in. Some don't even use a rain-fly as the fabric itself is completely waterproof. Campmor has good prices on their close-out models and offer many brand names. :cool:

marberry
02-24-2008, 01:23 AM
i bought a $30, 2 person tent from canadian tire 3 years ago and have found it just as good (in summer) as any $200 backpackers tent. though if its gona get colder then 20C with wind chill its a completially different story.