PDA

View Full Version : Snare questions

RandyRhoads
02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
I finally got my snares all in order. 1/16th inch cable, snare locks, and swivels. I have a few questions.

1. Is there a map/guide to what states snaring is legal in? I can't find a list on google.

2. Should I dye and wax these like traps? If so can I boil bark and dye with the liquid? Can I use any wax?

3. I'm using 1/16th inch cable. I read that some snares are only one time use, is this true? I can't really complain with how cheap they are to make but that is a little disappointing, especially if i'm throwing a couple in a kit and they're a one time deal...

4. Can I use these "modern" snares in other ways than a simple rolling snare? Such as a pencil snare, or any kind of spring loaded trigger snare? If not what can I use for more primitive survival snares? I tried military trip wire in the yellow and green spools, which was complete crap and always broke...

5. Is 1/16th strong enough for coons/coyotes? What about deer?

Thanks.

wholsomback
02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
As for where you can find info on legality of snares in a state is there own wildlife laws and regulations,every state is different.

DO NOT wax and dye snares,put them in some baking soda water overnight then rinse and set outside for a week or so.Thats it.

I use 1/16 cable for all my snares but I make my own and have caught rabbits to 100 pound hogs in them.

for my jump snares I use 200 pound dacron

In all the places I know snaring deer is a no no but yes coons and coyotes they work great and as I said up to 100 pounds should be feasable.

RandyRhoads
02-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't start anything yet. I know that each state has specific guidelines, but i'm looking for a general list of what states any snaring at all is ok in. My state has them outlawed completely. I'm not worried about specific laws, just states where ANY snaring is ok.

Is the dacron just regular 200 pound dacron fishing line, or something specific? Are cable snare one time only? What about the Dacron?

wholsomback
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I use the dark green or black dacron and as for the snares I have snares that still catch after 3 seasons.

RandyRhoads
02-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Well I can't believe how good the snares work. I set two last night and woke up at 5am to a coon caught in them. Unfortunately I had to get to class and had no time to gut it. It spent all day in my garage and I just got around to trying to clean it. It smelled so horrible all I could get was the fur, I feel bad for wasting it.

What is a good way to dispatch them while they are snared, besides shooting and putting a hole in the hide? Do you use any type of HEPA filter while cleaning?