PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Bear Grylls

billdawg
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.backpacker.com/bear-grylls-interview/survival/16371?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter03

I know a lot of people here don't like Bear. And of course some of the things he does on his show I think is pure entertainment and shouldn't be done, unless it's the very last resport. But, I have always felt you can learn from anything, and his show is no exception. Plus say what you will, the man has done some things that others only dream about. Anyway, I think get him away from the camera, and sit him down, like in this interview, and he has some good thigns to say.

payne
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
While we're at it: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/kefnc/i_am_bear_grylls_ask_me_anything/

SemperFi
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I dont know I'd be honered to run mountains with Bear , he is Special Forces and he did make it through the French Foreign Legion basic training , the guy is real , his show might be fake !

Mischief
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
How much is he paying you guys who think he is so great and please tell us what did you learn from his staged exhibitions.

Please tell us

Sarge47
01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I dont know I'd be honered to run mountains with Bear , he is Special Forces and he did make it through the French Foreign Legion basic training , the guy is real , his show might be fake !

Knock yourself out. The "special Forces" was not the regular branch of the SAS. I wouldn't have anything to do with a man that has to give the wrong teaching as well as fake things to fool the audience. The late Dr. Ron Hood started out with B.G., only to leave the show in disgust when Bear had a guy put on a bear suit to fool his viewers into thinking there was a real bear coming after him. I just checked his clothing line on Amazon and the stuff's made in China. People have found that even the clothing is misrepresented: http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Grylls-Mountain-Jacket-Cobalt/dp/B003GCY87A/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1327719772&sr=8-14 Scroll down to the reviews and read the 1 & 2 star reviews! This guy is a fraud all the way around! :nod:

Winter
01-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Bear is a badass. His show is a joke and that is not his fault. He is the youngest man ever to climb Everest.

E V E R E S T.

southard
01-28-2012, 12:40 AM
dont know Mr Grylls personally might be a great guy, might be a douche, ya never know. I do respect his business sense. I also really respect his camera men as they do everything he does but weighed with equipment to boot and probably with half his training.

Sarge47
01-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Bear is a badass. His show is a joke and that is not his fault. He is the youngest man ever to climb Everest.

E V E R E S T.

I'm not impressed with BG, nor his so-called climb up Mt. Everest. He's just another hustler trying to make a buck off of the "survival freaks." Ron Hood had his number!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-471510/Latest-TV-fake-scenes-Grizzly-attack-survival-man-fancy-dress-bear-costume.html

http://range.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/more-bear-grylls-fakery/ :2:

Seniorman
01-28-2012, 02:46 AM
It's all Show Business, boys and girls. Everything is scripted, not only on Bear's show, but every show having to do with "survival" or anything else that comes across the commercial tube, or on the silver screen.

No production company is going to let their "star" die or be seriously hurt. Afterall, the star is what sells the show, so anything that can really endanger the star is scripted and staged.

It's all about entertainment. That's just the way it is in Hollywood. :nod:

S.M.

Winnie
01-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Yes it is all entertainment and it should all be watched as such. But let me ask you all this. If a guy came on here and talked the talk, intimating he was in SEAL team six when in fact he was a reservist. Not that there is anything wrong with the Territorial Army, I have the greatest respect for them, they are fighting side by side with the Regular Army with part-time training. By that very fact alone, he has abused the reputation of those two Regiments. Would you all bow down in front of him and sing 'we're not worthy' or would you razz him off the forum and report his Abuse of Military Service? Oh, and would you pat him on the back for recommending some of the stunts he comes up with in the show?

crashdive123
01-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Winnie - you make a very good point. I suspect that most (me included) don't fully understand what his military claims were and were not.

Winter
01-28-2012, 02:45 PM
He was in the TA SAS. There was 3 SAS regs, 21 TA, 22, 23 TA, when he was in. I don't remember which he was in.

TA SAS selection is brutal. I have the utmost respect for anyone who even attempts selection. SAS selection is based mostly on physical durability.

Warheit
01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
He was in the TA SAS. There was 3 SAS regs, 21 TA, 22, 23 TA, when he was in. I don't remember which he was in.

TA SAS selection is brutal. I have the utmost respect for anyone who even attempts selection. SAS selection is based mostly on physical durability.

Absolutely. He was 1 of 4 (out of 180) that ended up getting selected into the SAS -- and he was 21 TA.

Sarge47
01-29-2012, 01:19 AM
http://www.backpacker.com/bear-grylls-interview/survival/16371?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter03

I know a lot of people here don't like Bear. And of course some of the things he does on his show I think is pure entertainment and shouldn't be done, unless it's the very last resport. But, I have always felt you can learn from anything, and his show is no exception. Plus say what you will, the man has done some things that others only dream about. Anyway, I think get him away from the camera, and sit him down, like in this interview, and he has some good thigns to say.

Billdawg, I've re-opened this thread after removing some offensive posts. Now, to you I say that, IMO, Bear has a responsibility to NOT do things on his shows that could prove fatal. Like drinking urine, for example. His reckless manner is also a poor example, especially to young people. Since he's become the official spokesman for the BSA I think that's important. Then there's the question of his fraudulent acts. Again, he's been enlisted by the Boy Scouts so he needs to be setting a better example, especially with his "history of accomplishments" that others have been so eager to point out. After all, a former member of the SAS shouldn't be "faking it" on a survival show, now should they? Just my 2 cents. :cool2:

natertot
01-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I personally don't care for the guy. I watched a few of his shows and I'm just not impressed.

hunter63
01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
So, what do you think.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

natertot
01-29-2012, 01:21 PM
So, what do you think.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
I still haven't changed since post 16. In fact, I think you reinforced it!

Sarge47
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
(exaggerated surfer voice.) Yeah, but dude, like Bear was the youngest guy ever to join the French Foreign SAS, right? An...an...an he was with them when they charged up Mt. Everest and took it away from the British! So he's a God, right dude? He says it so I believe it, ya know?

Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer. :innocent:

Sarge47
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
This is funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxTfQBdcJE :innocent: :cool2:

billdawg
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Billdawg, I've re-opened this thread after removing some offensive posts. Now, to you I say that, IMO, Bear has a responsibility to NOT do things on his shows that could prove fatal. Like drinking urine, for example. His reckless manner is also a poor example, especially to young people. Since he's become the official spokesman for the BSA I think that's important. Then there's the question of his fraudulent acts. Again, he's been enlisted by the Boy Scouts so he needs to be setting a better example, especially with his "history of accomplishments" that others have been so eager to point out. After all, a former member of the SAS shouldn't be "faking it" on a survival show, now should they? Just my 2 cents. :cool2:

I agree, that if you're going to be an 'instructor' then you should do it correctly. I haven't delved in to all the claims of scripted to shows, etc, as maybe some have. I watch dual survival as well, and they tell you up front (as does BG show), that a lot of the scenarios are given to them to show a way to do things. First and foremost it's entertainment, secondly, the one thing that Bear always comes back to, and I think we all can agree on, that survival is having the mind set to never give up and explore all your options. I think he's a brilliant marketer, and hey, more power to him. I woudl enjoy gonig on a camping trip with him, but then I have enough backbone to tell him to knock any crazy crap off if he were to try it, lol.
Love him or hate him, I'd be willing to bet we're all a little envious. Where else can you travel the globe and do some kick @$$ stuff and get paid major bank for doing it.

SemperFi
01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
I think alot of you are getting away from yourself , this isnt Bears show , its the discovery channels show! He goes by what they tell him , this show is for entertainment , Les strouds show was for entertainment and any of the other shows about so called survival , you want to watch tv ,thats what you get , wanna live it then go do it , document your survival ,not many people want to see you sitting around for 10 hours a day doing nothing because you cant catch a fish or hunt for your dinner , it wouldnt be very good for audience , but if you want to try your luck , read up on it and then drive out somewhere , ditch your car and go live it , see if you can survive! I dont care if Dr bj says the shows not real who the hell is he? he has a survival school whoopty do , I could open a survival school ,just watching you tube , cause hey if its on youtube its real!!!

Go live it if you want it to be real otherwise kick back on your recliner , eat some popcorn , turn the thermostat up to 75 ,and drink a beer while watching Bear swim under the ice 30 feet in a land where its 10 below zero , cause lets face it thats fake right?

Rick
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
These shows are really an interesting composite of groups. I'm involved very much on the periphery with Greatest Tank Battles. It's actually a third party film crew that makes the show then they attempt to sell it to a network, in this case, the Military Channel. I'm sure the major channels commission their own work but there is also a lot of independent film makers that put this stuff together and hope the can sell the idea or the next installment if the idea is already in production.

Warheit
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I agree, that if you're going to be an 'instructor' then you should do it correctly. I haven't delved in to all the claims of scripted to shows, etc, as maybe some have. I watch dual survival as well, and they tell you up front (as does BG show), that a lot of the scenarios are given to them to show a way to do things. First and foremost it's entertainment, secondly, the one thing that Bear always comes back to, and I think we all can agree on, that survival is having the mind set to never give up and explore all your options. I think he's a brilliant marketer, and hey, more power to him. I woudl enjoy gonig on a camping trip with him, but then I have enough backbone to tell him to knock any crazy crap off if he were to try it, lol.
Love him or hate him, I'd be willing to bet we're all a little envious. Where else can you travel the globe and do some kick @$$ stuff and get paid major bank for doing it.

You knocked it out of the park, Billdawg. Great post.

Sarge47
01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Love him or hate him, I'd be willing to bet we're all a little envious. Where else can you travel the globe and do some kick @$$ stuff and get paid major bank for doing it.I gotta admit, billdawg, you are right about me being a bit envious, the guys got a really cute tush! :blush: :nod:

Winter
02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Sarge, SARGE, get it together.

Warheit
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Here is another interview with Bear from NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28859534/). Enjoy.

hunter63
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Can't say that being envious is something that comes to mind when I think about or see this guy.
I guess I have had adventures of my own, of my own planning and enjoying, that it really doesn't appeal to me, living vicariously thru some one else doesn't cut it.

He and others of their ink are TV personalities, entertainers that have found a way of making a living, doing something they enjoy....at least they seem to be, but not my cup of tea.

I watch, cut on them, use ideas and basically enjoy most of the shows....but when the time comes.....I throw my stuff in the truck, drop a trailer on the hitch, and head out of my own adventures.
No complaints.

billdawg
02-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Can't say that being envious is something that comes to mind when I think about or see this guy.
I guess I have had adventures of my own, of my own planning and enjoying, that it really doesn't appeal to me, living vicariously thru some one else doesn't cut it.

He and others of their ink are TV personalities, entertainers that have found a way of making a living, doing something they enjoy....at least they seem to be, but not my cup of tea.

I watch, cut on them, use ideas and basically enjoy most of the shows....but when the time comes.....I throw my stuff in the truck, drop a trailer on the hitch, and head out of my own adventures.
No complaints.

You're right, when I said envious, I meant more of the travel portion. Only place I have gotten free travel has been Iraq and soon A-stan, lol. Extreme camping at it's finest,hahaha

hunter63
02-01-2012, 05:04 PM
You're right, when I said envious, I meant more of the travel portion. Only place I have gotten free travel has been Iraq and soon A-stan, lol. Extreme camping at it's finest,hahaha

Watch your your knot and behind........

Wildthang
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I dont watch the show much because simply being a show, takes a lot of the reality away for me. I think Bear is the real deal, but he is just taking direction from the producer because now it is job to him, and not real survival. He is just in it for the money and playing the game!

Sarge47
02-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Did you read that NBC interview that Warheit posted? OMG! Like father, like son! Junior's just a chip off the old block! Actually, I fully expect Bear to wind up like the late Steve Irwin!

Warheit
02-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Found another interview (http://www.askmen.com/celebs/interview_500/527_bear-grylls.html) with Mr. Grylls. This one is pretty short, but I think some portions are worth reading.

Sarge47
02-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Here's a whole bunch of stuff on B.G. for those who are interested:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+grylls+fraud&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Warheit
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
This made me laugh out loud.