PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a snare?

RandyRhoads
01-26-2012, 12:24 AM
I bought a bunch of 1/16 cable today for making snares and realize I have no idea how to do it. The only thing i've used before is single strand wire I could twist and tie. Are there any threads with good directions, or can someone explain it please?

randyt
01-26-2012, 12:38 AM
take a small washer the size of a penny. bend the washer through the middle, not quite a 90 degree. Drill two holes on each side of the washer, the cable should fit through the holes. Get some iron nuts just large enough for the cable to fit through, maybe a tad bigger. Heat some of these nuts up red hot and let cool. put one end of the cable through the hole and hammer one of the nuts onto the end of the cable that is sticking through the hole. Then take the other end and stick it through the other hole, maybe your cable is 30 or so inches long. If the cable is stuck through the hole in the correct direction, the washer will act as a one way lock. On the long end of the cable put the cable through the drilled hole in a washer and hammer on a annealed nut. This end will serve as a swivel.

I like annealing the nuts because I've had them crack. There are long ferrules available from trap supply companies that work well too.

you can also use these bent washers for drowning locks. Sometimes that's not a bad idea because it gets the quarry out of sight.

RandyRhoads
01-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks! Instead of heating the nuts can I just use the hammer on locks from home depot?

What's annealing, and I don't quite understand the last part about putting the cable through the drilled hole in the washer. This is a separate washer with only one drilled hole? Not sure how this acts as a swivel.

randyt
01-26-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure what hammer on locks are but they should work fine. annealing is heating steel and letting it cool slow. I've not done that with nuts but I have heated them up red on cement block and let them cool. There's a separate bent washer, one hole is all that's needed. It act as a swivel not a great swivel but it still swivels. There are locks, swivels and ferrules available from trap supply companies.

RandyRhoads
01-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Ok thank you very much.

TresMon
01-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Annealing is softening steel, by taking the tempered strength back out of it. RandyT told you how to do it.

Pictures are worth thousands of words: