PDA

View Full Version : Throwing knives/hatchets

WildGoth
02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
anyone know how to throw knives or hatchets

prrrfukt
02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
sure, its hitting my target that i need work at :)

Rick
02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Frank could probably write volumes on this one. To me, it's sort of like golf. If I have it, why would I want to throw it away?

Ole WV Coot
02-14-2008, 11:53 AM
:D Reasonably decent with most sharp pointy things. I have 4 knives I made years ago and still play with them sometimes. I learned to be decent with a Buck 110 underhand but I ruined many knives when I was a teen. Now throwing is strictly for play. I wouldn't take a chance of throwing away any decent blade I own unless that was my last resort.

trax
02-14-2008, 05:38 PM
I can throw them pretty good. Suck at catching them :eek: Ouch!

Assassin Pilot
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I've never tried. But I have a really crappy knife that would work for learning I suppose.

FVR
02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-003S.jpg

Been known to take a few dollars on the block.

Beo
02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
FVR can you explain to WildGoth how to do it, everytime I tried typing it out it just sounded wrong, hard to put how I do it in words.

Rick
02-14-2008, 08:58 PM
You could also add the why part. I've never figured out what the advantage is other than just having fun.

trax
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
What's wrong with having fun?

WildGoth
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
well around here most small animals stay out of the way and with the small animals it is too hard to hit with a gun without blowing them apart but with a throwing knife it does not do as much damage

Beo
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Trax I think Twinkie is opposed to having fun:D

Beo
02-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I like throwing knives and my hawk, why? I don't know why but it is fun especially if you get smoe guys together and then the competition starts, and with all the extra time I have for the next couple of days with my stiff azz aching leg I have had time to jot down some things I been thinking about, tihs is another and here is how I would teach someone to throw a knife, for whatever reason, playing around, at a rondy, or just to show what a big stud you think you are:D I am by no means a pro at knife throwing, I learned at historical events and Rondy's
First to me is grip:
The easiest is the hammer grip, where you hold the knife as you would hold a hammer. You may place your thumb on the spine (=small side) of the knife, some people find they can aim better this way. Your wrist has to be absolutely stiff when throwing, otherwise you will get uncontrollable rotations. If the knife is sharp, you should only use this grip on the handle! The hammer grip is primary used with heavier knives, such as adopted bowie knives.
The pinch grip is used to throw light knives fast, suddenly and with force (that is some stress for your poor arm) The knife has to be gripped (pinched) between thumb and index finger, in a manner that it is a straight extension of your arm. You can hold it with the 2/3 of your finger that are next to your hand and the thumb (compare picture #1, my preferred method), or only with the fingertips. If you grip a heavier knife or want to throw further, you can additionally use your middle finger. If the edges are not sharp, you can use this grip also on the blade.
If the knife is not sharpened, a blade grip is no problem, just do it as described above. If the blade is sharpened on only one side, you can carefully hold it with your thumb and middle finger as shown in picture 2. I prefer not to have the knife extend such a long way in my palm, it might cut. Of course, the sharp edge faces out of your palm! You have to hold the knife so tight that it does not leave your hand early, but not too tight, especially not cramped. Only a relaxed throw is a successful one!

Trajectory of the throwing knife and right distance to the target:
In the beginning, you try to always make the same movements with your arm and body, with always the same force. Having mastered that constant movements for the throw, you can now find the distance from the target where the knives stick if you throw them with this movements.
In it's flight towards the target, the knife will turn around his center of gravity, blade and handle will take turns pointing to the target. The throwing knife will rotate in a way that, if thrown from the handle, the blade will go downwards at first.
The first distance for a stick is about three meters from the target (Always measured from the tip of your rear foot!). Grip the knife at the handle, throw it, and after one full rotation it will stick. If it doesn't, move back or forward a little.
The second distance is about one meter behind the first. Now you grip the knife at the blade (if possible), and after one and a half turn the knife will stick. It is important that you do not have to do anything to get this turns, they will just come. (In fact, later you will be trying to get less rotations to be in better control if you throw from further away.)
From the third distance, you once again use a handle grip, just now you get two full rotations of the knife till it sticks. Because you always throw with the same movements and force, the knife rotates in the same manner, and flies with the same speed every time. Therefore you can calculate or feel how much you have to go back so that the knife has completed another half turn. The pros with many years of experience can throw from distances where the knives make seven full rotations! Once you found your distance, you should measure it off and note it down. Note that the distance will slightly differ the next training day.
The Throw:
Here you will actually learn how to throw a throwing knife. Let's begin with the stance: your right foot is the back one (toes at distance mark), your left foot is in front, the gap between the two is about two feet (your actual foot, not the measure). The heels are on a line. The two feet form a 45° angel (left 12 o`clock, right 13:30 o`clock position) or wider. Both knees are bent, especially the front one. The weight rests primarily on the ball of your back foot (behind your toes). Both arms are straight and point to the target, which is in the height of the chest. The right arm now makes a round and smooth swing to the back, the knife is even behind the head. Then it swings forward towards the target, like you wanted to chop off some branch between you and the target. While swinging forward, the weight is shifted to rest on the front foot, the chest follows this movement. The right shoulder does not move, it remains in a (tilted) line with the left. As the knife arm is about in line with the left one and points exactly to the target, quickly let the knife go and snap your fingers back together. Do not stop the swing of the knife throw, go on with the movement. This is called follow through and considered very important for a good stick.
If you do not need your left arm for aiming any more, you can draw it back when beginning the forward movement. Later, you can even employ your hip to add to the power of the knife throw (long distance only). As already explained, it is important that you get the whole movement into your muscle-memory, that you do it the same way every time. Then find the distance where the knives stick. That is the only way, force or sharp blades won't help.
So I hope this is okay work but I think FVR could describe it better as he is more profecient than i am, I am sure I left a lot out so if I did feel free to add to this.
Beo,

FVR
02-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Why do I throw knives?

Well, let's see. From 6 to 20 feet, I can stick a bowie in your chest nice and quietly. After being cut open with the bowie, you will wish you had been shot.

I would never throw my last knife, but if I do have a knife in my hand for protection, you won't see it.

I one time asked a deputy about why the police shot a woman who would not put the butcher knife down. He laughed, and had heard that I threw knives. He asked at 17 feet, if I could stick him, well, "hell yeh."

"Frank, that's why we shoot people who don't put the knives down." He also let me know that knives penetrate vests where bullets do not.

Don't get me wrong, I don't take knives to a gun fight. But I let ya know this, if I throw one, you can bet that I have a few more. Also, if you have ever noticed that knife guys always have more than one, maybe two, three, sometimes four.

Beo. Great set of instructions. I find it hard to teach throwing over the net, that's why when I get calls, I just invite them over, throw on some hog meat and venison and make a picnic of it.

It's alot like throwing a baseball. I have found that those that play baseball are good knife throwers, did not mention hawk as that's a diff. story. The problem is that when you begin, ya think too much.

Beo's stance, I teach that if you throw with your right hand, point at the target with your left. Kind of looks funny, but you will be surprised when you can hit the block. Pay attention to how the knife hits the block. Butt forward, move back, you need to visualize the knife turning as it comes out of your hand.

I start most throwers with a 12" bowie because you can see it, you don't need to be right up on the target when throwing, and you get alot of satisfaction out of sticking a bowie with one turn.

Knives bounce so be very quick to jump. They will bounce back, up, and over the target. Safety is paramount.

Visit www.throwzini.com and they will have alot of info. for you.

Here is a pic of me throwing last year. I am a hard thrower and am required to pull my own knives.LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/87219.jpg

trax
02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Frank and Beo for that, just wanted to say my cop buddy told me the same thing that you mentioned. Knives will penetrate where bullets won't on body armor, I guess the cop made the right decision with the lady with the knife.

Proud American
02-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I dont know Trax:rolleyes: it is true knifes penetrate bullet proof vest where bullets dont. But I just got back from shootin at Calico and the modified Desert Eagle 357 magnum I shot I think would give those cops bullet proof vest a run for there money and win.:)

FVR actualy subscribed to throzini and read up on throwin, havent started yety cause i think if my folks sall me throwin knives and studing Army SF i think that would get them thinkin the wrong idea lol!:D

Also some one mentioned while we were shootin there were laws that you cant buy a hand gun with more then six rounds capacity. Is that for California (and our anti gun state) or is that else where?

FVR
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
In Georgia you need to be 21 to purchase a handgun. You can always find extra cap. mags if you look hard enough and are willing to pay.

Beo
02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Hey PA, not so my vest is proven to stop everything (ha ha)
Most ballistic vests may provide little or no protection against rifle ammunition or even against handgun ammunition fired from a pistol-caliber carbine. However, vests of type III and up are built to be resistant (the magic word here) to rifle fire (my departments tested and this is not so) with limited penetration, the exception being .22 LR ammunition, which can usually be stopped by these vests even when fired from a rifle. These vests are usually protective against handgun ammunition fired from handguns of all calibers, depending on the armor level of the vest. We took a vest and fired an M16 Commando or shorty at one and it went through the front and lodged in the back panel.
It did stop a .22, .25, .38, 357, 9mm, .40, .45, 12 guage slug and double 00 buck, all stopped with no penetration. The vest was placed on ballistic dummy (Mannequin) with the weight, strength, and thickness of human body.
Most vests offer little protection against arrows, ice picks, stabbing knife blows, bullets with their points sharpened or armor-piercing rounds. As the force is concentrated in a relatively small area with bladed weapons and armor-piercing rounds, they can push through the weave of most bullet-resistant fabrics. While a vest can prevent bullet wounds, the wearer still absorbs the bullet's energy, which can and does cause blunt force trauma. The majority of users experience only heavy bruising, but impacts can still cause broken ribs and severe internal injuries.
Beo,

Beo
02-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... FVR you shaved your head last year... cool I want to but don't have the guts to.

FVR
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Beo,

I had a shaved head from 2002 to Jan. 1, 2007. Have a nice pony tail now, but come summer time, it may get shaved again.

After the USMC, hair grows back.

Rick
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Hmmm. Frank, you will never have reason to stick a Bowie in my chest silent or otherwise. And if, perchance, you miss and the handle smacks me really hard, everyone is gonna know it. Yells and screams will permeate the forest. Same for tomahawk. If you even think you might have even close to a reason, just let me know. Apologies will be forthcoming.

I suppose there is some fun in throwing a piece of steel at a wooden target. I'm sure there is. At least I think there would be. Okay, I don't get it. But that's just me.

FVR
02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Sam, the hair does grow in funny nowdays. Seems that it's growing faster on my face and arse than it is on my head. And there is this little lightly hair area, right dead on top.

Rick, just like anything, knife and hawk throwing is fun to learn how to do. You get prof. and then you stop for awhile. It's nice to have a thrower or at least know how to throw good enough that you just pull it and throw and stick it in where ya call it. Then ya just put it back in the sheath.

I have friends that throw everyday, I may throw once a week.

Really don't think I'd ever throw my hawk away though, it's long, sharp, and heavy and would do more damage if I just used it in hand to hand.

Proud American
02-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Beo, knew about the impact and broken ribs and bruises recevied from wearing bullet proof vest. Its good to know that are protection is starting to catch up with are weapons. Did your vest realy stop a .357 magnum round? Thats pretty amazing. I know some one who makes the kevlar inserts for those flak vest used by the military ill have to ask him what those can stop when I see him.

Rick
02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Proud - Here is a wiki article that includes the criteria for judging a vest's class:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_vest

Beo
02-20-2008, 10:31 AM
PA, yeah it really stopped the 357 mag. But I will say that the M16, Ak47, .308, and 30-30 all went through like butter and the 9mm carbine and Tech 9 hit with some force tearing the vest up but not penatrating. The Level 3A will stop most handguns (not a .44 mag or larger) but I've heard from guys that have gotten shot in the vest that it feels like getting hit with sledgehammer and hurts for weeks.

dilligaf2u2
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I do not throw knives these days. I have had a few made for that reason but just got out of practice.

I love watching the ranger Rambo's throwing their cheep wood cutting hatchets at the camp sights TDW drags me too. I have picked up a few, for free, after they break the soft pine wood handles.

I advised the ranger that he should put a chunk of log out for them to practice on in order to save a few trees. After looking at a few trees these guys damaged he did it. I feel like I saved a tree or three from the Rambo's of the world.

The rules: Never throw at a living tree. Never throw your last tool. Never give a good throwing tool to Beowulf65 if you want it back any time soon.

Don

marberry
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
my dad taught me to throw knives about 4 years ago , its bloody tricky and took me months with a former paratrooper training me. it all has to do with balence , i hold the knife by the blade with my 2 front fingers near the tip and my thumb about as far up the blade as it can go and throw much like you throw darts , with a little flick of the wrist. buy thoes metal dart knife thingies they sell at military surplus stores there ALOT easier

warman87
04-03-2008, 02:05 AM
anyone here do no spin throwing its quite easy to learn?

sgtdraino
12-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Just a bump for this great topic. Should this possibly be moved to General? It's not really about making something, and I would never have found it in this area had someone not linked me from elsewhere.

FVR
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
My wife just picked up these 4 little Ninja style throwing knives. Can't wait to try them, close range throwers.

canid
12-09-2008, 03:23 AM
i like all manner of shuriken, but i'm not as good with knives as i;d like to be.

chiangmaimav
12-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I learned tomahawk throwing at an early age as my mother's family are Iroquois and my cousins and uncles are into that old-time stuff. I won a few competitions in western NY state, but I never learned how to throw a knife very well. I worked at a prison which had housing for the staff. It was an old farmhouse and there was an empty barn there. I used to prop up a piece of wood against barn and practice throwing tomahawk at it. Sometimes I missed and hit the barn. There was a vehicle patrol that came around and would report the damage, so as the ranking officer living in the house I had to "investigate" this repeated vandalism. I never did find the perpetrator, of course.

crashdive123
12-09-2008, 08:06 AM
....and you probably kept say..."fellas, this one has me stumped."

chiangmaimav
12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes, actually that is true. But eventually I got caught because the cook, who also lived there, saw me throwing the thing and ratted me out, so I had to find a different place to practice.

trax
12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Practice on the cook :D (just a thought, kids...don't try that at home!)

chiangmaimav
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Funny thing is the cook did get fired shortly thereafter for bringing in stuff to the inmates. That was justice, I guess.

FVR
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Little Ninja knives, at 10' they all made it in the pie plate, 1/2 inch in the wood fence. Hmmmm........whose wood fence you ask. Not mine.

Blood Groove
12-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't have as much knowledge as others on here about throwing knives, but I have thrown them for a while. I taught my self just by playing around and missing a lot, but I've learned a lot from experience. The think I like about throwing knives is that you can throw them by the handle or blade depending on your distance from the target. It's hard to explaine, But basically if I'm one half rotation away I'll throw by the blade. And if I'm a little farther back I'll throw by the handle becuase if I threw by the blade I'd hit right on the butt of the knife, but throwing it by the handle I hit right on the point of the knife. Then a little farther back I'll throw by the blade again. So by seeing the distance from my target I can decide wether to throw the knife by the handle or blade. Basically when throwing a knife it's all about a consistent throw. You've got to get it into muscle memory. If you don't have a consistant throw then.....well your knife won't stick consistently. And you get a consistent throw by lot's of time and practice. Another key thing abotu throwing a knife (if you're not pacing the distance every time) Is being able to estimate how far away from the target you have to be to hit it. Like I know that if I'm reletively close to the target I'm going to want to be 3 paces away to hit it, and if I'm farther away I'm going to want to be six paces away to hit it. So estimating your distance is important to. These are all things that help me personally when throwing knives. But I'm sure other people have different styles.

canid
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
the thing i like about them is that with any grip and throwing style, you can learn to intuit your throw and range. i like the same thing at times in archery.

crashdive123
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Survival Products