PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Adventure

lucznik
01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Last night I went out ice fishing with my boy and his Young Mens group from our church. It was his first time out on the ice. He was a bit scared at first as you could see big huge cracks in the ice and occasionally hear it groaning and popping but, all that was forgotten as soon as he pulled up this 30", 6# ling.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/lucznik/IMG_9559.jpg

natertot
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice! I bet he was one happy guy!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Ling? is that a catfish?

lucznik
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
No, it's a type of cod.

They aren't native to the waters around here but, were introduced illegally.

1stimestar
01-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh I love ling cod. I got a HUGE one this summer. I could barely hold it up long enough to get a picture of it. Congratulations to your son.

crashdive123
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
I'll bet you both remember last night for a long time.

When I lived in the PNW I got all of my ling cod while scuba diving using a Hawaiian sling. Good eating!

natertot
01-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Lucznik, How old is your son and what age did you introduce him to fishing?

Oh I love ling cod. I got a HUGE one this summer. I could barely hold it up long enough to get a picture of it. Congratulations to your son.

Pics or it didn't happen! :nono:

Just kidding ya!

1stimestar
01-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Lucznik, How old is your son and what age did you introduce him to fishing?

Pics or it didn't happen! :nono:

Just kidding ya!

Heh.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?18225-Natortot!&p=328150

lucznik
01-22-2012, 04:10 AM
He's 13 and has been fishing pretty much since he could walk. He just had never had the chance to try it on the ice. Ice fishing just isn't really my thing.

1stimestar: that is a huge fish you caught! They don't come quite that big around here. An 8# ling would be considered absolutely monstrous. I don't know what I'd do with one as big as the one you caught.

1stimestar
01-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Eat it of course lol. I have a freezer full of fish (and other beef alternatives).

So what did your son think of ice fishing? How long did you stay out? I actually have never been ice fishing and not really interested in it. I imagine if I had some fun friends to go with it would be ok. Otherwise I think I would get bored.

intothenew
01-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the memories.

birdman6660
01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
thats great eats .. way to go young un !

tipacanoe
01-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Did your son catch it on a jig pole, or tip up? We just have fresh water cod here, very good eating, and are most often caught at night. I haven't ever seen one that large. Do you have any idea the name of the shelter you are standing in? Good night for your son, and you I'm sure.

jake abraham
01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
congrats on you & your sons time togather

lucznik
01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
So what did your son think of ice fishing? How long did you stay out? I actually have never been ice fishing and not really interested in it. I imagine if I had some fun friends to go with it would be ok. Otherwise I think I would get bored.

It was a beautiful night, quite warm (low 30s) and no wind so we were very comfortable. We were there for about four hours. To be honest, he was fairly bored most of the time. It's hard keeping a 13 year old interested in sitting patiently at a 8" hole in the ice and the fishing was really slow so; there wasn't much to get excited about. He got plenty excited when he caught the fish though.

lucznik
01-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Did your son catch it on a jig pole, or tip up? We just have fresh water cod here, very good eating, and are most often caught at night. I haven't ever seen one that large. Do you have any idea the name of the shelter you are standing in? Good night for your son, and you I'm sure.

Neither. He just used a regular old spinning setup and sat back a little farther from the hole than would be normal. We don't do ice fishing enough to warrant buying specialized gear. He pulled this one out at around 7:00 pm. and I'm told that ling are pretty much always a night-fishing prospect. The shelter is an Eskimo QuickFish 6 Pop-Up Portable. My son's Boy Scout troop had some extra money they needed to use so they purchased a couple of them awhile back.

finallyME
01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice fish. Surprisingly, the only thing my ADHD kid is patient at is fishing. I haven't taken him ice fishing yet. I am glad you had a great time. So, was this an overnight, or just a couple hours on a lake?

oldtrap59
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Nice fish luc. Love to read about the members going into the field with their kids. Reminds me of times with my dad and son over the years. Many good memories. Glad to see that your making some of your own.

Oldtrap

lucznik
01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Nice fish. Surprisingly, the only thing my ADHD kid is patient at is fishing. I haven't taken him ice fishing yet. I am glad you had a great time. So, was this an overnight, or just a couple hours on a lake? Not an overnight; just about four hours on the lake. We'll do an overnight BSA "Klondike Derby" camp sometime in February. He's not looking forward to it. Last year we slept in a snow cave and he froze his nubs off, but it fulfilled his requirements. This year we'll probably do it in a tent (maybe even with a stove) and take some cots and thick pads and such and go for comfort.

lucznik
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice fish luc. Love to read about the members going into the field with their kids. Reminds me of times with my dad and son over the years. Many good memories. Glad to see that your making some of your own.

Oldtrap You know, it's interesting. I definitely have more fun taking my kids hunting and fishing and watching them succeed than I ever do when I go on my own.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I still do sometimes go on my own but, it's just not the same.

hunter63
01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
You know, it's interesting. I definitely have more fun taking my kids hunting and fishing and watching them succeed than I ever do when I go on my own.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I still do sometimes go on my own but, it's just not the same.

Plus 1 on that, well said.

shiftyer1
01-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Thats a nice fish, I not familiar with the species but I know I like eating cod. One of the things I miss about Minnesota is ice fishing, the other is bird hunting. The last house I had back home had electricity with a stereo, propane heat and a bunk, it also was a trailer. It was kinda like going to the shop to hide out and relax but I could fish too. I did my share of just sitting on the ice and fishing also. I much prefer the 1st option:)

shiftyer1
01-27-2012, 02:18 AM
12 years in Texas may influance my above opinion^^^^^ just a little. I fear cold now, never really bothered me before but now it just hurts.