PDA

View Full Version : Into the Wilderness

crazySurvivalist
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi, i'm the crazySurvivalist... am new here. Not sure if this is the right place for this post/thread, but being the general section, i guess it'll do for now.

Basically, i'm going on a journey of a life time. I'm currently waiting on my discharge from the army, and once done i want to take the next few years and just "hit the road" so to speak.

Well, i'm South African. And once out, i'll be going back to South Africa for a little while. Pretty much, i want to take foot around Africa, and possibly where ever else the road takes me. Why do i post here?
Because i'm wondering if anyone here can advise me on the basics of survivaly for something like this... i.e. kit, skills, etc. Basically, it needs to be aimed at the starting point. Alot of the skills and kit i'll pick up on the way, but anything that will help me get started.
I am able to use alot of the stuff i learnt through the army, but the army only teaches you survival on the battlefield, not survival in this sense. Any advice will be appreciated.

pretty much i want to work with the bare necessities- spending money now, so i don't have to later.

...And yes, this is crazy. But, what the hell, i'm doing it anyways.

Rick
01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Why not start with this....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?6837-What-Do-I-Need-To-Survive-in-the-Wild

Sourdough
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Welcome......

payne
01-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I am not sure if this can help, but hitch-hiking and dumpster diving will be two good friend of yours. (Unless I misunderstood your project.)

Wildthang
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I am sure surviving in South Africa is going to be an ultimate challenge in the sense that you can get eaten or ran over by really large critters real easy over there. So my advice would be to get a big pistol, holster, and a large bore rifle first. Then get a large backpack with all the things you really need to survive. There are many posts on here where we tell about all the stuff we keep in our backpacks, so look around and learn.
And welcome to the forum!

crashdive123
01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you need.