PDA

View Full Version : Generate your own bit of power

wildWoman
02-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Here's something to contemplate for the days when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow to charge up those batteries that your appliances run on.....get on your bike! www.econvergence.net Guess there's different plans and models out there.

Assassin Pilot
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I would buy a hamster and have it run on one of those wheel things instead

or just buy a stationary bike so I could maximize the electric output

BraggSurvivor
02-13-2008, 11:54 PM
It's cool....looks like too much work though.

crashdive123
02-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Here's another possibility for some power generation.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/02/piezoelectric-n.html

Rick
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I think all this stuff is just over the horizon. Nanotechnology is just starting to take off. I read an article a couple of months ago that said nanotec could be included in your clothing and it would "talk" to the washing machine and instruct it how to wash the cloths. No more dial setting. Same with microwavable meals telling the microwave how to cook it. Crazy stuff. Think of all the possibilities of power generation through movement.

dilligaf2u2
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I have been a motorcycle rider for some time. Due to health reasons I can no longer ride one. I have been looking at a Honda Helix Motor Scooter.

A friend has one and we rigged it with a bicycle light generators to the trailer wheel. He now can recharge 10 each 3600Mlh AA batteries in under 2 hours. He loads his camping gear in the trailer and he and his wife take this to get to the trails he wants to take. By the time they get there he knows he has batteries for the GPS and the flashlights.

Don

Rick
02-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Wow, Don. Just tell him not to back up and uncharge those batteries!:D

Beo
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Suns not out and house is dark then just light a candle:D

Tony uk
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
If you like to work out, of of the exercise bikes with this attached would serve you nicely, But you would have to be pritty dammed fit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Like me

bulrush
02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
You know, I think otherpower.com changed their hamster wheel into a generator. Then one day the hamster got out, the cat found him, and no more hamster. (That's what the owner thinks anyway.)

They had a whole project page on it and everything.

Here is the page:
http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html
(http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html)

flandersander
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
what I want to know is why would sombody have a hampster, electric motor, a light bulb and hampster food in a survival situation?

Rick
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Ned it's a long story but, frankly, I'm surprised you don't have all of those items. If you were truly prepared, like the rest of us, you would have. Personally, I have two hamsters and they work as a team.

Sam
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
You don't breed them for food? Heck you could have 400-500 head of 'cattle' in your garage. ;)