PDA

View Full Version : How much food?

wildWoman
02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
When storing food for whatever reason, we've found a good way to find out how to calculate how much food we need in the first place is to religiously collect all grocery store receipts over a period of two months and then write down how much of what we bought of what item. Another way is to weigh daily food items for a couple weeks, write it down and then multiply by 3 of days you plan to stock up for. We always add an extra 10%. Both ways work great, we always stock up for about 8 months and have never had a shortage of anything yet (but lots of surplus!! Canned beans or peas, anyone??)
I don't set much stock in prepared emergency rations or camping foods, I don't know if the amounts are calculated for sedate people of pygmy size, but I'd at least eat double of one ration. Also take into consideration if you anticipate to be doing more physical stuff while living off your food stock, and the effect temperatures can have. We just had a cold snap here during which we found ourselves eating a full 5 meals a day!

wareagle69
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
reason i stock up is two fold other than preparing for a shtf scenario i also plan ahead for injuries, they say most couples fight over money and bills so if i can alleviate the pressure ahead of time saves the stress, i i get hurt at work, with the money in savings and with comp check and amount of food stored we would be good for months w/o worry

Rick
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I hate making something only to find out I'm out of some ingredient. I stock up so I have what I need on hand when I need it. I also take advantage of sales and coupons. Yes, girls, I do make out a shopping list and go through my coupons before I go to the store. Call me twinkie if you want. I don't care.

nell67
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
But Rick,do you take advantage of the stores that double and triple the coupons?? Could be saving alot more Twinkie:D

Rick
02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Kroger automatically doubles coupons and I save $$$ on gas there. So there!

wareagle69
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
thats another trick also ric(hmm trick ,ric)nah
i stock up on staples also especialy when on sale i must have a dozen jars of peanut butter and 20 bottles of catsup

nell67
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Kroger automatically doubles coupons and I save $$$ on gas there. So there!
You go boy!!!!!! LOL Meijers also triples coupons several times a year,get lots of stuff free that way,especially when you match the coupons to the sales ads

nell67
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
thats another trick also ric(hmm trick ,ric)nah
i stock up on staples also especialy when on sale i must have a dozen jars of peanut butter and 20 bottles of catsup

What is a good sale price on those in Canada wareagle?