PDA

View Full Version : Keeping batteries in a flashlight

flatlander88
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I just had a quick question.

I was at the store yesterday and they had a good deal on Maglite flashlights so I bought a pair of them. I didn't really need them for my camping and such but because of the price I thought they'd make great back ups for the house. So my question is; is there something that I could apply to the battery terminals to help them from corroding and messing up the inside of the flashlight? I was thinking like a dielectric grease but I didn't know.

Thanks
Flatlander

Sarge47
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
If storing them for a lengthy period of time turn the batteries around so that they don't run down. :cool2:

flatlander88
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Sarge - Do you mean flipping all the battery's in opposite direction (+ and -) or just turning one around? There are only two batteries with these particular flashlights.

Thanks

natertot
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
FL, Dielectric grease is the answer. I always use it in all my flash lights when I change the batteries. Sometimes a flashlight won't get used for months, but I have never had any corrosion.

hunter63
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
If storing them for a lengthy period f time turn the batteries around so that they don't run down. :cool2:

Turn around "one" battery....(just trying to clarify), so there will be no voltage flowing.

I store my mag-lites like this in my hunting coats, bags, BOB's, vehicles.....most everywhere I don't plan on using them ASAP.
Just remember that you did it as the light won't work, till you reverse the battery that you reversed......makes it like they are dead.

My battery check program is spring/fall at daylight saving time clock and smoke/CO detector change/check.

Remember if you have the krypton bulb (I like them) there is a spare stored in the base cap under the spring.....saved my arse a time or two.

Also they will repair or replace your light if anything happens to it, including corroded batteries.
Re-posted from and earlier thread;
Quote>
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in Maglite products.

Unfortunately we do not warranty battery leakage however if the cells that leaked were Duracell, Eveready or Ray-o-vac, we will repair or replace it for you at no charge since we carry a contract with these 3-battery companies. If it is not one of these brands, then we would charge 12.00 plus tax for a 'C' and 'D', 22.00 for LED starting with DL in front of serial number, 8.00 for a Mini-Maglite replacement and 18.00 for Mini-Maglite LED plus tax. We recommend that you ship it UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Our address is: : Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. Include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of problem. (the Rechargeable Maglite does not fall into this replacement offer).
Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Esther Soto
Customer Service
<Quote

hunter63
01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
FL, Dielectric grease is the answer. I always use it in all my flash lights when I change the batteries. Sometimes a flashlight won't get used for months, but I have never had any corrosion.

Never tried that but a good idea, I use it on electrical connections in other places, got a couple of tubes around here someplace.....thanks.

Rick
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
dielectric grease is a non-conductor. How does that stop the battery from eating itself up. Even the battery manufacturers recommend removal for long term storage. Once the potassium hydroxide breaches the case the battery is going to leak. That comes from the inside. Nothing you put on the outside can halt that.

hunter63
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
As the cases are aluminum I have found that once they do start to corrode, you are pretty much screwed anyway, it will never stop.

I sure the recommendation of the manufactures do say "don't store batteries in the flashlight', but they aren't the ones reaching for one in the dark, wondering where I put the Durn (normally that's not what I say in situation like this) batteries.......I chose to store them in the flashlight.

Rick
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I do as well but I try to check them often. I've still been po'd a few times when one pops.

Kortoso
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I guess if you turn your batteries around, then you have to remember later on that the are reversed, instead of assuming that they are dead and cursing your luck. ;)
In the Guard, we kept all our batteries in the fridge. But for domestic use, if there's a power failure, you're supposed to keep the fridge closed, so how would you get the batteries out? :D (Just being facetious; you keep the freezer closed, but you should clean out the fridge in a blackout.)
Anyway, good points, all.

hunter63
01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
You know there are a lot of "manufacturer's instructions" out there, sadly because there are a lot of stupid people out there, that sue.

If you ever read instructions on most anything....yeah I know, 'Real men don't need no stinking instructions", just about all of the writing is designed to cover their butte for protection from law suits from Stupid people with lawyers, with little or no information that is helpful.

Use your head, if possible to determine the proper action needed in any given situation.....with regards to those instructions, just realized that it's a suggestion for those that are intellectually challenged.......a better line would be, "If you don't know what you are doing, don't fool with it"

natertot
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
dielectric grease is a non-conductor. How does that stop the battery from eating itself up. Even the battery manufacturers recommend removal for long term storage. Once the potassium hydroxide breaches the case the battery is going to leak. That comes from the inside. Nothing you put on the outside can halt that.

IDK Rick. I had corrosion in a light once, started using the grease as an idea and never had an issue since. Either it works or I just have good luck with not having corrosion issues.

flatlander88
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Turn around "one" battery....(just trying to clarify), so there will be no voltage flowing.

I store my mag-lites like this in my hunting coats, bags, BOB's, vehicles.....most everywhere I don't plan on using them ASAP.
Just remember that you did it as the light won't work, till you reverse the battery that you reversed......makes it like they are dead.

<Quote

Thanks everyone for the information, I have one more question:( Does it matter if it is the positive to positive or negative to negative? Does it make a difference? Can I just flip the back battery around?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
01-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I think it may be that a battery case is compromised due to a path to ground being present. Think about it Did you ever have a battery fail in the bottom of the kitchen drawer or was it it always in an electrical device when it failed??? I think insulating the batteries with dielectric grease is an excellent idea! Kudo's Natortot! Rep Sent!

Sarge47
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the information, I have one more question:( Does it matter if it is the positive to positive or negative to negative? Does it make a difference? Can I just flip the back battery around?

Flip the battery back to make the flashlight work. However if I'm storing a flashlight I duct tape the batteries to the outside of the casing, that way they're there but not in a position where they can damage the flashlight. :cool2:

Sarge47
01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Sarge - Do you mean flipping all the battery's in opposite direction (+ and -) or just turning one around? There are only two batteries with these particular flashlights.

Thanks
Either way works. :cool2:

Rick
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Did you ever have a battery fail in the bottom of the kitchen drawer

Yes, I have.

flatlander88
01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks again! I'll also make sure I do routine checks on the batteries.

natertot
01-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes, I have.

were there utensils touching the posts causing a short?

Zen buds
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Perhaps a crank flashlight would be more appropriate. Energizer makes a few different ones, and then batteries will never be an issue.

hunter63
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Batteries start dieing the day the are completed at the factory, electricity come from a chemical reaction of the components.

That why it is suggested by some, to keep them in the refrig, so as to slow the chemical reaction.
Even if they are never used, they will slowly 'melt" down.

Rick
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
+1. Right on target.

Marcus
01-11-2012, 02:18 AM
I ever forget to take out the battery from small hand-held air fan. In the second year, i remembered it, opened the back cover, found the battery liquid leakage and spring part has also been corrosion.

intothenew
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Perhaps a crank flashlight would be more appropriate. Energizer makes a few different ones, and then batteries will never be an issue.

That's not necessarily true. Some, if not most of them have a small battery inside, you are simply charging it.

hunter63
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
That's not necessarily true. Some, if not most of them have a small battery inside, you are simply charging it.

+ one on that, and they are never ready to run or run very long when you first turn them on.

When the bad guys are breaking in I don't want to be cranking, I want to blinding them with the Maglight, so they don't see the boom that fixin' on happening.

Couple of yeras ago I found some crank light at Menards, had both a crank flashlight and a key-fob LED in tha package....for about $5 bucks each, bough all that were left, about 12 of them, gave them away to everyone I could think of....to this day, I still get, "Hey that light you gave me...gotta crank it all the time"......So much for bring a nice guy.

tipacanoe
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm afraid that the Mag lite is going the way of the Swiss watch. You can get much better for the same or even less money. As an example, at Sam's club (I don't own any stock) I bought two Rocky LED lights for $15, that produce more light than any Mag lite I have ever owned, and there won't be any issues with getting the batteries out.

I just tossed in the trash a 3-D cell Mag lite that I have had for years, changed the batteries when need until this last time, and now can't get two of them out.

The smaller of the two LED's produces 160 lumen's with 3-AAA and the larger produces 220 lumen's with 6-AAA. Both have low, high and pulse settings.

hunter63
01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm afraid that the Mag lite is going the way of the Swiss watch. You can get much better for the same or even less money. As an example, at Sam's club (I don't own any stock) I bought two Rocky LED lights for $15, that produce more light than any Mag lite I have ever owned, and there won't be any issues with getting the batteries out.

I just tossed in the trash a 3-D cell Mag lite that I have had for years, changed the batteries when need until this last time, and now can't get two of them out.

The smaller of the two LED's produces 160 lumen's with 3-AAA and the larger produces 220 lumen's with 6-AAA. Both have low, high and pulse settings.

I'm a Timex kinda guy, couldn't afford the swiss watches.....Sorry, I won't give up my Maglites.

Should have sent it to me, I would have returned it for a new one...LOL

crashdive123
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I have (as I know a lot of you do) a lot of flashlights. While I have lights that perform better, last longer, and are brighter than my Maglites......nothing says "you messed with the wrong guy" like a 4D cell Maglite up side the head.

natertot
01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
I use to be a mag light guy, then I discovered streamlight. I use one for duty and keep it with me all the time. I have a house charger and a car charger so it is easy to keep it charged. I have had it for about five years now and I have had zero issues with it. They can be had new for around $80. Pretty good deal in my book.

Sarge47
01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Yeah but you can't start a fire with the other flashlights like you can with the Mini-Mag! :cool2:

Rick
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
$80 for a flashlight is just wrong. Is it made by a pharmaceutical company?

MiddleWolf
01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't forget that dialectric grease when changing bulbs on you cars and trucks. As a mechanic and former service manager at an auto electric shop I've used it for over 25 years. Just rub it all over the brass butt of the bulb and install it. It does not cause current to jump on a 1034 or 1157 dual filiment bulb or any similar.

crashdive123
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
You rub it all over what? Oh - light - never mind.

Spartan300
06-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I am a flashlight-aholic. For my torches that are not used often, I take the batteries out. I don't like reversing the batteries in mine, especially the led's. I never leave the house without my Pelican 1920 clipped in my left pant pocket...never. To me, an edc flashlight is a crucial survival tool, not to mention just plain handy.

BrazilianSnowMan
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I have leaked batteries damaging my stuff too many times. I never store any electric/electronic device with the batteries in.
Crank flashlights idea was great, I have 8 or 10 of those.

Onidah
06-02-2012, 01:18 PM

My battery check program is spring/fall at daylight saving time clock and smoke/CO detector change/check.

Remember if you have the krypton bulb (I like them) there is a spare stored in the base cap under the spring.....saved my arse a time or two.

Also they will repair or replace your light if anything happens to it, including corroded batteries.
Re-posted from and earlier thread;
Quote>
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in Maglite products.

Unfortunately we do not warranty battery leakage however if the cells that leaked were Duracell, Eveready or Ray-o-vac, we will repair or replace it for you at no charge since we carry a contract with these 3-battery companies. If it is not one of these brands, then we would charge 12.00 plus tax for a 'C' and 'D', 22.00 for LED starting with DL in front of serial number, 8.00 for a Mini-Maglite replacement and 18.00 for Mini-Maglite LED plus tax. We recommend that you ship it UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Our address is: : Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. Include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of problem. (the Rechargeable Maglite does not fall into this replacement offer).
Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Esther Soto
Customer Service
<Quote

Too bad I didn't know that several months ago. I had one with Eveready batteries that leaked. I tried getting them out, but ended up throwing the whole thing away. With the new LED bulbs, the batteries in the light ended up wearing out before they die (run out of juice). I've started a regular replacement program for the batteries (every 6 months) regardless of whether the batteries are dead or not, just to help avoid this problem in the future. So far, I haven't had Duracell batteries leak in any of these lights that I have - only the Eveready/Energizer batteries.

Desert Rat!
06-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I am a flashlight-aholic. For my torches that are not used often, I take the batteries out. I don't like reversing the batteries in mine, especially the led's. I never leave the house without my Pelican 1920 clipped in my left pant pocket...never. To me, an edc flashlight is a crucial survival tool, not to mention just plain handy.
+1 on a flash light for EDC, I was in a Chucky Cheeze Pizza place many years ago and the lights went out, total blackout you couldn't see anything luckily I had a mini mag light and was able to find my 5year old son and we made our way out with about 30 people in tow, people started to panic within 1 minute, just imagine if I didn't have that one little mini mag, no one else had one not even the store!

Daniel Nighteyes
06-02-2012, 04:01 PM
If storing them for a lengthy period of time turn the batteries around so that they don't run down. :cool2:
'Tis better to turn only one battery around. I do this with my mini-Mags all the time.

Jimmyq
06-02-2012, 05:02 PM
+1 on a flash light for EDC, I was in a Chucky Cheeze Pizza place many years ago and the lights went out, total blackout you couldn't see anything luckily I had a mini mag light and was able to find my 5year old son and we made our way out with about 30 people in tow, people started to panic within 1 minute, just imagine if I didn't have that one little mini mag, no one else had one not even the store!
I got stuck in an elevator with my wife and young son a couple years ago, used the flashlight app on my phone to keep everyone calm. As for batteries, I usually pull them out if its not going to be used for more than a couple days.

Rick
06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
It really doesn't matter which way you turn a battery. If it leaks you're hosed.

Desert Rat!
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I had a battery split and ruin a wooden cabinet drawer, like whats been said in previous posts if it leaks in a flashlight its gonna be toast, having said that I probably have a dozen flashlights throughout the house, batteries in all, mostly mag lights a few crooknecks and some cheap plastic ones but I run Duracells in all of them don't seem to have much trouble with the Duracell batteries, I have 3 Streamlites and I run the Streamlite batteries in those.