sol 2 person bivy
candle
matches or lighter
wetfire tinder
10 feet of paracord multiple colors
Thanks please respond

TresMon
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I think the majority of folks would assemble their own, on their slant of perceive needs/wants.

Just shooting you straight.

However there is a solid little niche market for sub kits. As in sub componants that make up the kit over all. Items like a "gun shot" kit. Navigation kit. Signalling kit. Trap kit.
The sub components are sold, so that when all sub parts are combined a person has their "survival kit" assembled per their liking.

Rick
01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Hmmmm. You want me to answer and I don't know the price?

TresMon
01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Hmmmm. You want me to answer and I don't know the price?
For you Ricker, I present the "TresMon's you should have skillz by now slacker!" survival kit consisting of a pint jar of reconstitutable evaporated water, and a small "roc" brand pocket knife. $14.99. Don't forget you get a hangnail free with every order.

Rick
01-03-2012, 08:52 PM
That's nothing more than cheap marketing on your part. Throw in two hangnails and you have a deal.

TresMon
01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Now thats as funny as it gets. I'm cry'n!

Sarge47
01-03-2012, 09:07 PM
If I made a survival kit would u buy it.
aloksak bag
magnesium fire starter
sol 2 person bivy
candle
matches or lighter
wetfire tinder
Thanks please respond

no. :cool2:

Sarge47
01-03-2012, 09:10 PM
For you Ricker, I present the "TresMon's you should have skillz by now slacker!" survival kit consisting of a pint jar of reconstitutable evaporated water, and a small "roc" brand pocket knife. $14.99. Don't forget you get a hangnail free with every order.

If you throw in a couple packs of Twinkies Rick won't be able to resist! :innocent: :sneaky2:

hunter63
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
How much?..........

crashdive123
01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
If I made a survival kit.
aloksak bag
magnesium fire starter
sol 2 person bivy
candle
matches or lighter
wetfire tinder
Thanks please respond

Are you trying to sell one, or just finding out if there is interest?

Sourdough
01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
aloksak bag
magnesium fire starter
sol 2 person bivy
candle
matches or lighter
wetfire tinder
Thanks please respond

I would NOT want that kit for free......Really NOT for free. Sorry, you asked.

Rick
01-03-2012, 09:31 PM
You would if it were shiny.

crashdive123
01-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I just want to know if he is spamming or interested in a critique.

Sarge47
01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I just want to know if he is spamming or interested in a critique.

I figured it was a big joke. Nobody would dare ask that question in all seriousness on this site. They'd be "re-inventing the wheel" while "preaching to the choir!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

hunter63
01-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Then again on the other hand...one can never have too much gear........How much?

TresMon
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Then again on the other hand...one can never have too much gear........How much?
Funny is funny but being subtle- now that's Hilarious! WELL PLAYED!

hunter63
01-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Funny is funny but being subtle- now that's Hilarious! WELL PLAYED!

Yeah, I being serious.........well....

This the bag?

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Survival-3-2-Ounce/dp/B004M7U1H4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325642273&sr=8-4

Rick
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Doesn't it sort of depend on who the second person is? I mean, I like you guys and all but when it comes to snugglin' in a small bag I'm afraid you had better have a warm coat. Know what I mean, Vern?

Sourdough
01-03-2012, 11:40 PM
You would if it were shiny.

Only if it had a blow-up doll.

natertot
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
aloksak bag
magnesium fire starter
sol 2 person bivy
candle
matches or lighter
wetfire tinder
Thanks please respond

The main thing with a premade survival kit is to have some basic things that are useful no matter what scenario and no matter what location. If I were to make a survival kit for retail, it would be somethin like:

Lighter, 100 water proof matches, and magnesium starter. (takes care of fire)
Two water bottles with water filters and 100 iodine tablets. ( takes care of water)
a 10'x10' tarp, 100ft of paracord, two rain ponchos and a solar blanket. (takes care of shelter)
A simple first aid kit with bandages, medical tape, rubbing alcohol, anti-biotic ointment, and pills such as tylenol, advil ibprofin, pepto, a thing for constipation. (you can get by with this for basic medical issues until real help can be reached)
general items such as a knife, 100 ft duct tape, small sewing kit, and enough rations for two people for a day.

No matter what scenario or location, all these items can be very useful and possibly essential to survival.

Would anyone buy my kit?

Sarge47
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
The main thing with a premade survival kit is to have some basic things that are useful no matter what scenario and no matter what location. If I were to make a survival kit for retail, it would be somethin like:

Two water bottles with water filters and 100 iodine tablets. ( takes care of water)
a 10'x10' tarp, 100ft of paracord, two rain ponchos and a solar blanket. (takes care of shelter)
A simple first aid kit with bandages, medical tape, rubbing alcohol, anti-biotic ointment, and pills such as tylenol, advil ibprofin, pepto, a thing for constipation. (you can get by with this for basic medical issues until real help can be reached)
general items such as a knife, 100 ft duct tape, small sewing kit, and enough rations for two people for a day.

No matter what scenario or location, all these items can be very useful and possibly essential to survival.

Would anyone buy my kit?

No. :cool2:

Winter
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Only if it had a blow-up doll.

What species, I have spares. It's been a long winter.

Zen buds
01-04-2012, 12:35 AM
yeah... Like many others on here, I make my own survival kits.

Winter
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
I don't have survival kits. I have my gear. Call it a sustainment kit.

I gotta disagree with Sarge. People will buy a survival kit like you mention. Not many here though.

Sarge47
01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't have survival kits. I have my gear. Call it a sustainment kit.

I gotta disagree with Sarge. People will buy a survival kit like you mention. Not many here though.

Whataya talking about, I agree with you, there are people out there that'll buy anything, look at the killing Bear Grylls is making! But if it doesn't come with it's own motor home I'm not interested, that's all. :sneaky2: :innocent: :whistling:

Zen buds
01-04-2012, 12:46 AM
A "survival kit" is meant to ensure some basic survival needs when you do NOT have your gear... If you are lucky, you will never actually use a survival kit.

natertot
01-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Call it what you will, but it is about being prepared. I have no desire to make or sell kits, but I assemble my own based upon my needs and the needs of my family. I have yet needed to take all, but on several occasions I have grabbed an item or two for convience.

pete lynch
01-04-2012, 06:06 AM
What will 2 people do with only 10' of paracord?
Multiple colors? At best a couple 5' pieces.

Rick
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
There are three parts to selling a pre-made kit, IMHO. Quality gear that covers the basics. It must be affordable. You must be able to make a profit. You generally get to pick two out of three. If you put together a high quality kit and price it to make a profit it's probably not affordable. If you put together an affordable kit that you can make a profit on it generally won't be high quality.

I'm currently toying with the idea and it's much harder than you think to meet all three requirements. Quality should be the primary consideration because of why it would be used. You can sell junk but what happens when someone actually needs it? There is a moral and ethical component there as well if you understand the conditions that it might be used under. I doubt that some retailers understand that. Hence so many junk kits. Either that or they just don't care.

Finally, not a requirement but certainly a consideration is size. You want to be as compact as possible.

Just my opinion on all points.

birdman6660
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
the main thing with a premade survival kit is to have some basic things that are useful no matter what scenario and no matter what location. If i were to make a survival kit for retail, it would be somethin like:

two water bottles with water filters and 100 iodine tablets. ( takes care of water)
a simple first aid kit with bandages, medical tape, rubbing alcohol, anti-biotic ointment, and pills such as tylenol, advil ibprofin, pepto, a thing for constipation. (you can get by with this for basic medical issues until real help can be reached)

Would anyone buy my kit?

yes !!! It is small but complete !!!

Rick
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't know about small. Once you assemble all of that you have a small backpack maybe.

hunter63
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
There are three parts to selling a pre-made kit, IMHO. Quality gear that covers the basics. It must be affordable. You must be able to make a profit. You generally get to pick two out of three. If you put together a high quality kit and price it to make a profit it's probably not affordable. If you put together an affordable kit that you can make a profit on it generally won't be high quality.

I'm currently toying with the idea and it's much harder than you think to meet all three requirements. Quality should be the primary consideration because of why it would be used. You can sell junk but what happens when someone actually needs it? There is a moral and ethical component there as well if you understand the conditions that it might be used under. I doubt that some retailers understand that. Hence so many junk kits. Either that or they just don't care.

Finally, not a requirement but certainly a consideration is size. You want to be as compact as possible.

Just my opinion on all points.

This is kinda what I was getting at when I asked "How much?"
If I was to "make" a kit, (i'm assuming this means assemble), for sale, a basic manufacturing/marketing plan is in order.

The list of components need to be looked up, purchased separately and assembled into said "Kit".
I realize that buying in bulk can cut down cost of buying separately, but how many is considered bulk w/price break?....can I front buying and storing 10K fire steels, to save a buck apiece? (example).

This now requires storage, inventory and production control.......and of course "manufacturing" or in this case "assembling",
Doing your market research.....I.E. question asked on survival forums, received with the normal BS, cat calling and disdain...You decide that yeah, maybe a go?

So I buy the components, figure my unit price, w/ assembly, storage, packaging, shipping, billing, local tax laws, accounting, and discover that I making a total of $1 buck per unit, if everything goes alright, and don't get stiffed with bad checks lawsuits zoning laws for operation out of my house,......and if you have employees....WHOLE 'nother ball game.

I am wondering if the original post was actually research to an end, a newbie thinking he's gonna get rich, or someone making conversation and trying to pick everyone's brain for a component mix?

As I do believe that is a market out there, people are lazy......maybe not around here,but being proved everyday but the "expert's" sales.......but I have yet to see the "perfect survival kit" for everyone, everywhere....That fits in a Altoids tin....(required I guess).....and the 100 ft of paracord, (again required) ..i have never used paracord ever, for anything other that making rifle slings, that I would never take apart.

So all in all, y'all haven't been very helpful...LOL...but got to agree that the OP post did leave everything WIDE open....

And I still don't know "How Much?"

Warheit
01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
The only thing I will ever buy assembled or pre-packaged is a medical kit / first aid kit that has essentials for a good price that would likely be more costly if I purchased each item on an individual basis. If it doesn't have what I need, I can get that for an additional cost on the side. Outside that, I have a standard list of equipment I would take with me given a rather large set of variables. I want quality items that I know are going to get me through whatever scenario I'm in -- whether it is just a two day hike or a week trip. Gotta make sure it's all good before ya go!

Rick
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree Hunter, no kit is a panacea for everyone for every occasion. There are some times, again, my opinion, in which a kit makes sense be it medical, survival, etc. 1. If the quality items together cost less that if you bought them separately and there are enough of those items in the kit to warrant the purchase. 2. If the kit matches your need in your environment 3. The cost is not so prohibitive that you can adjust the kit to exactly meet your needs utilizing some or most of the contents. Or 4. Someone is starting out and needs said equipment even if they don't keep the kit together as a kit.

Survival123
01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Yes That is the bag.

natertot
01-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Hang themselves!:hang:

bulrush
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I've seen some survival kits online and at the store. They are either too expensive, or the components are poor quality, mostly plastic. So I have gotten components over the years to make my own.

And I always include a metal can and 2 sources of fire to boil water. As water is sort of essential for life, ya know. I have even been saving cans and I can nest 3 cans inside each other for a variety of uses in a camping situation.

kyratshooter
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Would that be 10 feet total or in addition to the 5 feet you are using as each of your boot laces and the 75 feet you have woven into a belt around your middle.

How many of us here would place themselves at the mercy of ONLY a commercial survival kit?

The only kit I have ever seen that I would feel comfort depending on was the old Hudson's Bay Company kit they issued to their employes. I have seen one of these kits broken down and the componants were first quality. The only modern componant I would add that they did not have would be a ferro rod and butane lighter in addition to their matches.

The tradition lives on today in the REQUIREMENT that every private aircraft have a survivl kit.

http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm

US Department of the interior also recommends a survival kit for each person flying. The contents are minimal and appear on page 7. Strangely enough, several of the recommended/required items can no longer be carried on commercial flights due to DHS regulations!

http://amd.nbc.gov/safety/library/AlseHB(9-8-06).PDF

They do go by the creedo that anything not on the person can not be depended upon in crisis. Kits seperate from the individual are generally lost, damaged or inaccessable when needed.

CoryD
01-07-2012, 02:27 PM
The only thing I will ever buy assembled or pre-packaged is a medical kit / first aid kit that has essentials for a good price that would likely be more costly if I purchased each item on an individual basis. If it doesn't have what I need, I can get that for an additional cost on the side. Outside that, I have a standard list of equipment I would take with me given a rather large set of variables. I want quality items that I know are going to get me through whatever scenario I'm in -- whether it is just a two day hike or a week trip. Gotta make sure it's all good before ya go!

Ive been known to buy Cars, Trucks horses, heck, even rifles and houses assembled

Rick
01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Actually, 10' of paracord will yield 80 feet of cordage. There are 7 strands plus the sheath all 10' long. More than enough to build a shelter & hang 2 people.

hunter63
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Would that be 10 feet total or in addition to the 5 feet you are using as each of your boot laces and the 75 feet you have woven into a belt around your middle.

How many of us here would place themselves at the mercy of ONLY a commercial survival kit?

The only kit I have ever seen that I would feel comfort depending on was the old Hudson's Bay Company kit they issued to their employes. I have seen one of these kits broken down and the componants were first quality. The only modern componant I would add that they did not have would be a ferro rod and butane lighter in addition to their matches.

The tradition lives on today in the REQUIREMENT that every private aircraft have a survivl kit.

http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm

US Department of the interior also recommends a survival kit for each person flying. The contents are minimal and appear on page 7. Strangely enough, several of the recommended/required items can no longer be carried on commercial flights due to DHS regulations!

http://amd.nbc.gov/safety/library/AlseHB(9-8-06).PDF

They do go by the creedo that anything not on the person can not be depended upon in crisis. Kits seperate from the individual are generally lost, damaged or inaccessable when needed.

Thanks for the links, ...I find it interesting that there seems to be a heavy emphasis on rescue and signaling rather than survivial only....makes sense, as it seems that a lot of kits now seem to drift toward firearms and protection.

hunter63
01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
This was also some good advice that I stole for the second site...appling to aircraft, but useful for all.
Quote>
B. Personal Survival Vests or Hand-Carried Survival Kits. Personal survival vests or hand-carried kits,
in addition to the required survival kits, are recommended for all DOI flights. Aircraft accident experience has
shown that survival equipment not attached to the occupants at time of egress is often not recovered by the
survivors. Suggested items include:
·Waterproof matches ·Pocketknife
·Magnesium fire starter ·Personal emergency locator transmitter (ELT)
·Two space blankets ·Water purification tablets
·Large plastic bag ·Signal mirror
·Water bag (collapsible) ·Six aerial signal flares
·Individual first aid kit ·Strobe light or flashlight
·Insect repellant ·Whistle
<quote

And NO paracord?????/

Rick
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM
This is an area I have trouble getting me wife to comply with. Cell phone is in her purse. Extraction tool loose in pocket on door. Where will stuff be when you go from 50 to 0 in 4 seconds or roll over even once? Great points, Hunter.

kyratshooter
01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the links, ...I find it interesting that there seems to be a heavy emphasis on rescue and signaling rather than survivial only....makes sense, as it seems that a lot of kits now seem to drift toward firearms and protection.

Sometimes we get into TEOTWAWKI mode when dealing with survival kits. It is the difference between being a survivalist and being a survivor. One wants to remain hidden, the other wants to be found as quickly as possible.

The official view of any government agency is going to be that one should stay alive so they can be rescued. They have no interest in one using the kit to set up housekeeping in the woods after fleeing disaster, plague, war or famine.

Additionally, the use of personal locator becons and GPS homing devices on people and in planes makes rescue by SAR folks a matter of hours or days rather than the weeks or months that were once anticipated. Once the SAR groups get into your area you want to get their attention so you DO NOT HAVE TO SURVIVE IN THE WOODS any longer. That is why they emphisize signiling.

That is the one item no one has complained about being absent, the personal locator beacon. Include that item and all you need in the kit is a good small stove and some coffee. By the time the coffee is ready the chopper will be there.

Rick
01-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Amen. The odds of needing SAR are a bit higher than needing to stay hidden from the Chinese or Da Man unless of couse your sweet and smiley is hanging in the post office.

BENESSE
01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Sometimes we get into TEOTWAWKI mode when dealing with survival kits. It is the difference between being a survivalist and being a survivor. One wants to remain hidden, the other wants to be found as quickly as possible.

This is the essence of it all, IMHO as well.
You've got to decide where you priorities lie, and prepare accordingly. It took me awhile to get real and to think rationally about 1. where I am 2. what's likely to happen 3. what I can do about it
It took some rearranging of bug in provisions as well as BOB once I really played it all out and did the drill.

natertot
01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
I agree Kyrat. I have lost power, water, and experienced tornados and hurricanes alot more often than fleeing from an invading force. Although, I do like to be prepared for as much as possible!

Rick
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Just remember to shoot low if invaded by pygmies.

Sarge47
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Just when you thought it was not safe to go back into the woods, Mykel Hawke to the rescue! Yes, that great outdoors-man, creator of the "Mykel Hawke survival knife," and the non-award winning series: "Man, Woman, Wild;" And even being backed up by WSF member Army Ranger Rick; comes the ultimate survival kit! Check it out:

http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/new.htm :innocent:

Rick
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If the idea is to be rescued and that generally occurs within 40 hours why would you ever need an arrow head or crossbow? Really? And that is NOT 100' of paracord pictured. There is probably a good reason he doesn't let you click on the pics to enlarge them so you can look the items over.

Rick
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I thought it might be worthwhile to see some average rescue times.

FLIGHT PLAN AVERAGE TIME FROM LKP TO RESCUE

Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), 13 hours 6 minutes
Visual Flight Rules (VFR), 37 Hours 18 minutes

All SAR activities in the contiguous 48 states are coordinated through the full-time Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. When a call on a missing or overdue aircraft is received by the Center, the National SAR Plan is activated.

http://avstop.com/stories/searchandrescue.htm

On land.....

After 2 days, chances of finding lost people alive are slim

high rate of survival for people found within 17 hours of first being reported missing.
moderate rate of survival for those missing between 17 and 51 hours.
low rate of survival for individuals missing for more then 51 hours.
people reported missing in May through October were less likely to survive, as were people older than 60.
Individuals reported missing on land were more likely to be found alive than those reported missing from a water-based activity.

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/071707search.cfm

According to an Oregon State report climbing accounts for 3.4% of rescues, mushroom picking 3.0%, hiking 13.8%, vehicle, ATVs, snowmobiles 20.5%.

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/FAQ_PLB.htm

tipacanoe
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Rick, that was 100' of strands minumum on the para cord

Rick
01-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Oops. You're right. Thanks!

crashdive123
01-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Rick, that was 100' of strands minumum on the para cord

Oops. You're right. Thanks!

And that is exactly what they are banking on. People will read it quickly and assume that they are getting100 ft of paracord.

Rick
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
If you are putting your own kit together that seems terribly wasteful to me. What do you do with the other six strands and the sheath? If all you use is the strand I would think dental floss or nylon string would be less wasteful of money & material.

There just is no perfect kit that everyone can agree on. It should be about being found and/or some tools to stay alive while waiting. The 2 most important items aren't even in the kit. A plan left with some one trustworthy and knowledge. Just my opinion. subject to change without notice. Don't try this at home.

hunter63
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
.................There just is no perfect kit that everyone can agree on. It should be about being found and/or some tools to stay alive while waiting. The 2 most important items aren't even in the kit..

Is there an app for that?????

finallyME
01-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Why you singling me out? Anyways, she told me just the opposite. Well, she said size is a consideration, but being compact isn't what is wanted.

finallyME
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Just when you thought it was not safe to go back into the woods, Mykel Hawke to the rescue! Yes, that great outdoors-man, creator of the "Mykel Hawke survival knife," and the non-award winning series: "Man, Woman, Wild;" And even being backed up by WSF member Army Ranger Rick; comes the ultimate survival kit! Check it out:

http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/new.htm :innocent:

Now I know what to get Sarge for Christmas. ')

Rick
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Is there an app for that?????

As a matter of fact...

http://www.virginiamn.com/news/business/article_f1c8f134-35ca-11e1-9725-001871e3ce6c.html

hunter63
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Well there ya go...... credit card and a cell phone with "apps', is all you need.

Rick
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't carry anything. If you need rescue just order gear from Amazon. When UPS delivers it just catch a ride with the driver. Don't forget to take advantage of super saver shipping.