PDA

View Full Version : On Spam

Chris
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
One member recently complained of the spam policy. He quoted wikipedia, and said some things about democracy, etc.

This isn't a democracy, wikipedia does not rule here. This is my forum.

This forum was not created for you to conduct self promotion on. Spam is defined as any solicitation, even if you could only ever hope to make half a penny from the people you are soliciting, even if you couldn't ever even hope to make half a penny. The profitability of the thing you are soliciting for is irrelevant.

Nor does the usefulness of what you are soliciting matter. You could have a cure for cancer, and if you came here and advertised it, it would be spam.

Moderators are not going to be put in a position of having to be arbiters of usefulness in deciding what solicitations are allowed, and what aren't. Can you imagine what chaos that would create? Accusations of cronyism and corruption? There is a reason rules are black and white, so there can be no confusion.

If you have a cause or business you wish to promote, we provide signature space where it is allowed. If you contribute to the forum with thoughtful informative posts your signature will get a lot of exposure, and people will click on it. You're not getting this advertising for free, you're getting it in exchange for posting useful content here.

If you have an article or information you really wish to share with members here, you can post it here in full, rather than link to it on another site you own. If you only care about getting the information out there, this is a reasonable thing to do.

There are two exceptions to these rules.

1. If you have something to sell you may post it in the classifieds area.
2. If you have a legitimate job opening for something that actually pays money you can post it. As one of the top wilderness survival sites on the Internet we get a lot of people looking to hire (or cast in a TV show) survival experts. I allow these posts because they are to the potential financial benefit of forum members. Still, most of these people ask my permission first even though they don't have to.

These rules are fairly standard for most message forums. We want you to use these forums for the purpose of joining and enriching a community, sharing information with like-minded people, not for self promotion. If your main motivation for posting here is the promotion of your business/website/articles/book/store this is probably not the place for you. It is okay if you want that to be a secondary motivation and make use of the signature, but it should not be your primary motivation.

Sourdough
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
What I do with spam is slice it, then "FORK-IT"..........Hehehehehehehe

Sparky93
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Fried spam and eggs, mmmmmmmmmm.....................

TresMon
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your time.

LowKey
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Someone tried the old First Amendment speech, eh? LOL.
It's your party Chris. Your House rules.
If they don't like em, too bad.
Thanks for the forum just the way it is.

pops
01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
this forum is great.

jake abraham
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
thanks chris

natertot
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks Chris, I appreciate you standing up for us all.

Sparky93
01-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks Chris, this forum is like my home away from home.

el-amigo
01-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Thank you Chris! This is a really good forum. I appreciate the staff's work. :cowboy: