PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist surviving? For the tough!

spiritman
06-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I like to do a weekend with a big breakfast, a water bottle, a knife, and a small metal cup. Anybody else out there like to really test their skills?

FVR
06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
BK (before kids) spent alot of time in the woods like that. Now days, not so much.

Trying to get a prim. bowhunt up in the mountains sometime in Sept. or Nov. with a few gents. Had one years ago, ended up being more like a rendezvous in the middle of the mountains.

Set a meeting site up, packed in on Friday afternoon. All pre 1840's gear. By Friday night there were about 6 guys, by Sat. afternoon there were close to 15.

Set it up so that you could come in two ways, the first by the woods 5 mile trek, hunt and fish if you want. The second way to camp was via a jeep trail then about 200 yd trek off it. Sat. around 1700, we hear vehicles, four wheelers decided they were coming down to our camp, well, 15 guys dressed in canvas and animal skins, our rifles were set up in the military tripod fashion, and we had one old dead tree that we had a hawk and knife throw at, left the pointy objects in the tree.

They pulled in, we turned around, you could see their jaws drop, I can imagine what they were thinking but they did not even stop to say hello. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Now days if I can get a day in the woods with my weekenders bag is a treat.

Tony uk
06-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I would love to try this but i never have :(

We dont have really any good places to try and the good ones are taken up by people offering training in survival :(

spiritman
06-18-2007, 03:28 AM
That's really too bad, it's very rewarding. It's what I have the time for... well when I even have the time. Thats why I even tried it in the first place, all I had was two nights and I figured it'd be a camp out if I took much more with me.

Tony uk
06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
The only thing i would take if it was 2 nights would be

- Kinfe
- Firelighter
- Food/Water
- Tent
- Water Pills

:)

FVR
06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Drop the tent, wool blanket and a piece of canvas.

Water pills, ahhhhh, tin cup and boil.

Food, this time of year, hardtack def. some home made jerky as there are berries all over the place along with muscadines. I always like to be around water like streams so I would def. get a few fish.

Everything else is in the weekenders kit.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
06-23-2007, 06:22 AM
juss spent a week in mn with lil more then u describe was awesome taught the kids how to use a strike a light and char cloth / tinder fungus to light the fire and to bank the fire at night slept under a lean to fashioned tarp they did well enjoyed it tremendously, need many more times like those .

FVR
06-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Lucky you. I can't wait till the kids are a little older. They are 4 now, I think it's a bit young, few more years.

marberry
07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
i neva go minimalist lol i bring the entire pack whether im goin for a weekend or a month.

heres the complete and updates list.

i use a 60L Woods Backpack to haul all my stuff, complete inventory is

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

a Engineer orienting compass

a coleman multitool

an original 33 fishing rod with professional grade 24LB monofilliment line

a fishing set with several different baits and hooks

4' x 10' foot netting

a 3' x 3' foot minnow net to catch live bait

a duracell crank high power light w/ orange signaller and radio

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches

60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's i think) (breaks at 1200 lbs)

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 15 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
- 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
- various antibiotics including :
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
(most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

two 60 foot long rolls of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

1 9x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 cold steel folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22)

500 hunting pellets for rifle

3 heavy duty garbage bags

3 large rols ofl heavy duty ducktape

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather australian style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

13 tubes of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill something big)

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

i think thats everything lol

SOE digital
07-02-2007, 09:10 PM
That's more kit than I'm taking on my trek across Borneo!

WalkinWild
07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Thats alot of stuff to carry but I'm the same way I take all I can carry.

Tony uk
07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
You would need something like a Bergan to fit all that stuff in :)

spiritman
07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
i neva go minimalist lol i bring the entire pack whether im goin for a weekend or a month.

So basically your on a camp out for extended periods of time? :confused:

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
i'm with marcraft, now maybe it is only us brian frozen canuks but i go fully loaded even when taking my dogs out for a three hour walk in the bush

always be prepared

spiritman
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
always be prepared

Sh*t happens even to people with a butt load of prepared gear. That said, I'm not yet confident enough to go off the grid with minimal gear for more than a few days. THAT said I still prefer to travel lightly when I'm camping or anything.

Sarge47
07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Dig it cats! I'd take along a huge Winnebago loaded with all kinds of stuff if I could! Better yet, maybe Bear Grylls would like a roomie at that inn.....;>)

Rocky789
07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Its a great way to spend a weekend especially when things at home have been really stressful. My gear other then the clothes on my back,
Gerber LMFII Knife
Light My Fire Army Fire Steel
Sigg Black Oval Bottle

wareagle69
07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
even with a butload of gear "always be prepared " also means mentally, be educated and practised in all your skills, i have heard of unskilled wanna be's dying with full rucksacks, understand where i am coming from

trax
07-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Admit it, you wanna be just like Bear when ya grows up, lol:) :)

spiritman
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
My gear other then the clothes on my back,
Gerber LMFII Knife
Light My Fire Army Fire Steel
Sigg Black Oval Bottle

See everyone, THAT'S a great list of equipment!

A SERIOUS DISCLAIMER: like wareagle69 says, you HAVE TO BE PREPARED for handling any situation. With this small amount of gear that means most of your prep is mental. And this is not something I would do in an unfamiliar environment, that would be retarded and suicidal. Go to a familiar ENVIRONMENT, that doesn't mean someplace where you have already been, but in an ecosystem you are comfortable in. for me that means the Rockies or Uintas, and even though I LIKE to visit the desert I wouldn't do it there.

zadig39
07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
13 tubes super glue? wow!!

Sarge47
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Admit it, you wanna be just like Bear when ya grows up, lol:) :)

Yep! I like a good motel with a great room service menu. ;>) Actually, though, my survival kits range in many different sizes depending on how I'm going to where I'm going. Hiking is always different than driving, and one can easily become stranded in a car.

spiritman
07-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Yep! I like a good motel with a great room service menu.

And who wouldn't!? Even the famous Bear Grills is known to frequent them every once in a while! But only if the room service is good I'm told, and who could beat a resort in Hawaii after a helicopter ride?

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
I like to test my skills in that way twice a year, once in winter, once in summer/spring.

Strider
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
It is good to travel light... I'd like to but usually can't cause other people come and I have to take care of a tent, my bag, fire, food, and other smaller things. But, if I were gonna spend a few nights alone, I'd take some of that Ramen Noodle stuff from the local WalMart (only 14 cents for a meal!!! it is dried rice with flavoring and tastes good... just add water) a canteen or two of water, a bottle of purification tablets, and some matches/butane lighter/flint, and lastly a small blanket or towel. Of course, if it were scheduled to rain or something, I might bring a bit more like a tube tent. That sounds fun though! :)

Strider
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh, i forgot the most important part... i carry a strong buck folding knife, a fixed blade about 1 foot long, 6 throwing knives (1 leg set, 1 arm set) and a multi tool knife.

spiritman
07-30-2007, 12:00 AM
I like to go alone sometimes for the same reason, having to bring community camping gear. And of course they aren't happy to cook over the fire so i have to bring a stove as well as the big tent, the cooler blah blah blah and anything else so they feel comfortable away from their own beds.

trax
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh, i forgot the most important part... i carry a strong buck folding knife, a fixed blade about 1 foot long, 6 throwing knives (1 leg set, 1 arm set) and a multi tool knife.

Stay clear of airports, anyone with an ICE or Homeland Security patch and don't fall in the water

HOP
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
I am a bit of a pack rat but try to make a choice in the light weight direction when choosing gear as long as it is functional and durable.
Nesmuk said in his book that his kit for extended trips was 22lbs and that included a canoe and his rifle he was a woodsman thru and thru. Some of us myself included ltend to compinsate gear for skill and skill wins most times. Nesmuk just applied his skills and was resonably comfortable when he was out.

trax
08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
I like to test my skills in that way twice a year, once in winter, once in summer/spring.

...and it's best to travel light, a shaving kit, a change of clothes, a Visa or MasterCard...:)

Sarge47
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Yo Strider, what make & model fixed blade do you carry?:confused:

rebel
10-07-2009, 10:35 PM

heres the complete and updates list.

i use a 60L Woods Backpack to haul all my stuff, complete inventory is

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

a Engineer orienting compass

a coleman multitool

an original 33 fishing rod with professional grade 24LB monofilliment line

a fishing set with several different baits and hooks

4' x 10' foot netting

a 3' x 3' foot minnow net to catch live bait

a duracell crank high power light w/ orange signaller and radio

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches

60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's i think) (breaks at 1200 lbs)

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 15 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
- 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
- various antibiotics including :
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
(most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

two 60 foot long rolls of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

1 9x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 cold steel folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22)

500 hunting pellets for rifle

3 heavy duty garbage bags

3 large rols ofl heavy duty ducktape

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather australian style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

13 tubes of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill something big)

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

i think thats everything lol

From my hurried and limited research Marcraft did a couple of equipment lists. It's not a bad list but, I'd like to see a little refinement in the equipment as to what is recommended from the WSF members. What's the best in each. What's the best bang for the buck in each. I know there will not be total agreement as to the "best knife" and other items. So, what do you think? Is an agreed upon list doable? I don't know of any list that could answer so many questions for standards of acceptability in quality for a survival kit. I think this could benefit a lot of folks.

FVR
10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Still waiting, the kids are 7 now.

A few more years and I'll be set.

Wow, I posted on this post 3 years ago.

Time flies.

rebel
10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
We could break up the items into teams for product review. That could help defray the costs and speed-up the process.

rebel
10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Still waiting, the kids are 7 now.

A few more years and I'll be set.

Wow, I posted on this post 3 years ago.

Time flies.

Yea! Ya' never know what you'll pull out.

rebel
10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Well, think about it. We have a lot of experience at this site (guides, LEO's, military, craftsmen/women, etc.). Putting it together will be a monumental challenge.

rebel
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Water repellent or waterproof.

Easy to carry or attach to your body.

Suitable to accept varisized components.

Durable.
In your survival kit, you should have--

First aid items.

Water purification tablets or drops.

Fire starting equipment.

Signaling items.

Food procurement items. I say Remington 870, 12 ga. 18" smooth barrel w/ rifle sites. JMO .
Shelter items.
Some examples of these items are--

Lighter, metal match, waterproof matches.

Snare wire.

Signaling mirror.

Wrist compass.

Fish and snare line.

Fishhooks.

Candle.

Small hand lens.

Oxytetracycline tablets (diarrhea or infection).

Water purification tablets.

Solar blanket.

Surgical blades.

Butterfly sutures.

Condoms for water storage.

Chap Stick.

Needle and thread.

Knife. Mora, KABAR, Swiss Army or an equivalent

rebel
10-07-2009, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=rebel;160304]Water repellent or waterproof.

Easy to carry or attach to your body.

Suitable to accept varisized components.

Durable.

I'd have to go w/ Rick on this and say the Alice pack.

Rick
10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
I think there are a lot of variables here. It will depend on the reason for the pack. Hauling game out, for example, is a lot different than hiking. It will depend on the reason you are in the woods and it will depend on your skill and experience. Some are quite content to walk the woods with a hand full of items while some of us drag the bus behind us.

I don't think gear is a one size fits all subject.

rebel
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I think there are a lot of variables here. It will depend on the reason for the pack. Hauling game out, for example, is a lot different than hiking. It will depend on the reason you are in the woods and it will depend on your skill and experience. Some are quite content to walk the woods with a hand full of items while some of us drag the bus behind us.

I don't think gear is a one size fits all subject.

I agree with you on that. This "list" is not a list of the things you have to take. This list is about the products our membership have agreed upon to work for the intended task. A poll could be taken for a particular item and the top three recommendations could be posted to that item. The "list" would be a reference list for anyone wanting to know from experience what works. For example, Hawks and hatchets, I'd go with the Estwing hatchet.
Due to the differences this may not be doable.

rebel
10-08-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll start polling the items and compile a recommended product list for the items. When I have it put together I'll post it. It's a fluid post and can be change and added onto as new products are tested.

So, If you see me constantly polling you'll know why.

rebel
10-08-2009, 08:20 AM
What would be your #1 go-to survival manual?

The top three will be listed and lets put a three day limit on this poll.

I choose the SAS survival manual.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Rebel, I would have to go with Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen. I think it teaches the most,in the least amount of space, using the least amount of Equipment. I think it better than any Survival manual/book I have ever read. If you haven't read it you really should.Packed with clear illustrations and pictures as well as clear instructions. Grand total of pages - 254