PDA

View Full Version : survival food storage

fytyej
02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Anyone know what happens to stored food such as a big #10 can of beans that freezes?

Thanks

BraggSurvivor
02-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Is the seal intact or broken?

dilligaf2u2
02-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Are we talking about dried beans? Freeze dried beans? I have out in the shed several cans of dried and freeze dries beans and they are just fine if it gets up to 120 in the shade or down to -30 in the sun.

As for your wet foods, I was of the opinion that unless the can is damaged threw handling or bloating they should be good.

Give some to your mother in law and if she lives it may be OK for you to eat!

Don

fytyej
02-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, yeah the seal on these big cans of pork and beans is fine - brand new. NOT freeze dried, just big old cans of beans for an emergency. They should be fine, I'll check on them in spring and let you know.

Thanks again.

BraggSurvivor
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys, yeah the seal on these big cans of pork and beans is fine - brand new. NOT freeze dried, just big old cans of beans for an emergency. They should be fine, I'll check on them in spring and let you know.

Thanks again.

As long as they are not leaking you should be good to go.

NY MtnMan72
02-12-2008, 02:10 AM
I dont think they have enough loose water volume to expand and burst, but as you mention you'll find out in the Spring......

I do know if you want to blow yourself up- set a can of pork-n-beans on the edge of your fire pit to heat, and forget to punch a vent hole.... i promise its a mistake you'll make only once. You'll either be so scared/shocked when it blows, or you may be hurt badly.... I did this once as a teenager, because i was not paying attention to details- and thank God i was standing 15-20 feet away when it blew....

Rick
02-12-2008, 07:17 AM
If the can isn't deformed then the seal wouldn't be broken. If you have several cans that froze and you just want to be certain then open one of them and see what they look like.

nell67
02-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Yea,better to find out now,than to find out when you need them,that they are not good.

crashdive123
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Years ago I had some cans that froze. I did as Nell and Rick have suggested here. I opened one to see if there was any damage. Looked ok, but they did not taste ok. They took on a very distinct metal taste. Don't know if it would have hurt, but didn't experiment to find out. Since then I have gone to dried goods.

Rick
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh...so that's why you glow red.

crashdive123
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Nah. That came from this accident with nuclear wea... oh never mind.

Rick
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Okey dokey then. Would you might steppin' back a bit?

trax
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I always thought he was just real bashful and blushed easily.

crashdive123
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Don't worry I'm harmless. Hey? What's that ticking sound?

Rick
02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
It's the warm after dark glow that bothers me......

Sourdough
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
O.K. Peel the label off and with a magic marker write what is inside on the top, plus the month and year of expiration, (for example Bake'bean 05/02). Next 3/4 fill a clean 5 gal. bucket with hot water and put can in bucket with seem down. leave it for at least 2 hours.

If the seem is damaged some bake bean juice will come out, why, because the heat from the hot water will slightly pressurize the contents, pushing out some juice.

I mark "ALL" cans with contents, and expiration date. The labels can and do come off. There was a time I stored all food in burlap bags in the lake, through a hole cut in the ice, that way they did not freeze. But the first time I did it all the labels came off, so I did not know corned beef hash from green beans, that is when I learned to mark everything. I even mark construction stuff like construction adhesive, etc.......;)

Tony uk
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Don't worry I'm harmless. Hey? What's that ticking sound?

OMG!!!!!!!!!! HE PACKING A WATCH :eek:

Rick
02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I would love to have been there when you pulled that bag out of the lake. "What the..?" That's pretty funny.

A word of caution about marking stuff. Magic marker and ink pens will transfer to other surfaces if the other surface is wet. If you mark something and set it in the sink, for example, the marker and/or ink will transfer to the sink. And it's heck to get off. This works extremely well on man made materials. It's especially bad if you mark your frozen items so you can rotate them then set them in the sink to thaw when you get ready to use it.