PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy's Vacation

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
One thing about setting posts that makes me relax. As soon as one is set and in the ground I say to myself...at least these SOB's don't talk back.....

There is 27 posts spaced 10ft. and I am not done. 5 1/2 ft. above ground, these are 8 ft X 4" treated rounds, I have 2 gates to install they will uttilize 8' X 6" rounds, the gates will be 16 ft. The fence will be 48" of redbarn cattle fence with 3 strands of electric high tensile wire.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3898.jpg

jake abraham
12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
are you digging by hand or using a auger around here digging by hand that would take awhile

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
are you digging by hand or using a auger around here digging by hand that would take awhile

I am using a shovel and it did take awhile. I don't know where you are so nothing to compare to. I have dug holes from NM to FL...

BENESSE
12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
That's backbreaking work.
I've dug a few on a much smaller scale in clay type soil and was ready to shoot myself.
If that's your vacation, I hate to see you work.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM
That's backbreaking work.
I've dug a few on a much smaller scale in clay type soil and was ready to shoot myself.
If that's your vacation, I hate to see you work.

I was made for work...You are correct , work is more tasking, but like I said the posts didn't talk back. I enjoyed it. Maybe it is knowing I am half way there!

Sparky93
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice looking fence, I was wondering why you use a shovel instead of post hole diggers?
I love working on stuff like this, it is a lot better than sitting inside doing nothing.

BENESSE
12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I have to admit, it is gratifying to see each one go up and know it's done right.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice looking fence, I was wondering why you use a shovel instead of post hole diggers?
I love working on stuff like this, it is a lot better than sitting inside doing nothing.

A neighbor said the same thing. I replied "my experience china's post hole diggers ain't got nothin' on this shovel, now if I had grandpa's i'd use 'em". He insisted his were good well, after 2 holes I went back to my shovel and it would have been one, if i did want to hurt his feelings.

Sparky93
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I know what you mean (it seems as though we have had this discussion before) Dad has my great grandpas, and those things are worth more than gold. The new ones aren't made like they used to be.

randyt
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I always wanted to take some hard surfacing welding rod, like the stuff they use on plowshares and toughen up my post hole diggers edge.

I like fencing, it's relaxing work. When I was a young man I would dig post holes for 50 cents a piece.

rocky road
12-04-2011, 10:21 PM
when i was a young fella, i would cut pine poles peel the bark off with a hoe that was straighten out and sharpen.i made a extra 4 cents a pole.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I always wanted to take some hard surfacing welding rod, like the stuff they use on plowshares and toughen up my post hole diggers edge.

I like fencing, it's relaxing work. When I was a young man I would dig post holes for 50 cents a piece.

It isn't the edge. it is the weight. They used to be cast metal at the hilt and had some weight. They are sheetmetal now and are too lite.

randyt
12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
replace the handles with some 1 inch schedule 80 iron pipe LOL.

Rick
12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
CS and I have had this conversation before. I'll use grandpa's post hole digger as well but I bought a new two years ago and returned it. It's a bit obvious the folks that made it had never used one. You couldn't open the handles wide enough to bring the faces of the blades together. There was no way to remove the dirt. Perhaps they used a crumb shovel but I was fresh out of those.

rebel
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Forget the gym membership. Buy a farm. Nice job on the fence. I've put up a few fences in my time. I helped one guy who stretched his barb wire with his truck. He'd put the truck in first gear and when it stalled the fence wire was tight. You could play a tune on it because it was so tight. You didn't want to stand to close if the wire broke.

Old GI
12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Do you drop some concrete to set near the bottom for stability?

BTW, I have a lot of therapy around my ranch for ya. Haven't stated the new fincenig yet for the alpacas arriving in the spring.

Just kiddin', glad you found a useful therapy, talk about multi-tasking.

Rick
12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Concrete in fence posts are only good if you are CERTAIN someone else will be replacing them down the road. I never use it.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Concrete will rotten the posts. Stick a board in a clay pot full of water and come back in 6 months and see what you have. Put'em in the ground 2.5' and they are solid.

Sparky93
12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Concrete will rotten the posts. Stick a board in a clay pot full of water and come back in 6 months and see what you have. Put'em in the ground 2.5' and they are solid.
Ditto, 2.5' and they are not going no where so long as you tamp the dirt in good. We use old railroad ties cause they are free, but are fence is T-posts with the ties for corner posts and in the middle of long stretches of fence to keep the wire tight.

Old GI
12-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Great points, all. Thanks

Rick
12-05-2011, 07:50 PM
If you need the extra support you can always use a deadman or counter brace. I had to widen a gate once and the post was set in probably a wash tub full of concrete. The post was solid I'll give them that but I swore after that little escapade I'd never set a post in concrete.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-05-2011, 08:19 PM
If you need the extra support you can always use a deadman or counter brace. I had to widen a gate once and the post was set in probably a wash tub full of concrete. The post was solid I'll give them that but I swore after that little escapade I'd never set a post in concrete.

I'll be anchoring some corner posts and gate posts, I'll share how I do it when I get around to it. It was back to work for me today.

hunter63
12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I hate post hole diggers, proctoscopes, and trailer lights....not necessarily in that order.
Have a PTO driven digger now.....but the holes for the tractor shed was hired out to some young guys.......

Congrats on a hard job well done.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Anyone have any tips on stretching 48" cattle fence? That is the part I dread. I have never done it....

crashdive123
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Fence stretcher or come along.

rebel
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I must be invisible

Rick
12-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are. The real trick to threads is folks have to read all the posts. I know, I know. A.D.D. is a big cross to bear but you just have to concentrate. Here's a hint, truck, first gear.

randyt
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I just stretched some 5 foot horse fence. I took a 2x4 and looped one end of the fence around it and stapled the fence to it on both sides. I parked my rhino sideways and hooked a comalong to the 2x4 and to the roll bar and tightened it up. The rhino was a little light but I couldn't get my truck in there with out a lot of monkeying around.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Forget the gym membership. Buy a farm. Nice job on the fence. I've put up a few fences in my time. I helped one guy who stretched his barb wire with his truck. He'd put the truck in first gear and when it stalled the fence wire was tight. You could play a tune on it because it was so tight. You didn't want to stand to close if the wire broke.

You might wish you were invisible, guess what you ain't. I saw this post, figure I'd' use my wire tensioners for the wire. It was the fence that baffled me.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I just stretched some 5 foot horse fence. I took a 2x4 and looped one end of the fence around it and stapled the fence to it on both sides. I parked my rhino sideways and hooked a comalong to the 2x4 and to the roll bar and tightened it up. The rhino was a little light but I couldn't get my truck in there with out a lot of monkeying around.

Sounds like it'd work, I'll give it a go.

Sparky93
12-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Dad uses the large ratchet straps to tighten wire fence, but I know he has done it many ways.

Sparky93
12-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Hmm, I just saw your question, not sure how he tightened the woven wire fence.... seems to me I remember a truck and a chain.... It's been a long time ago
I'll have to ask him.

Rick
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
You can also weave a piece of rebar through the end of the fence then attach one end of a chain to the rebar and the other to your tractor/truck. Keeping it level on the posts will be the bigger challenge.

hossthehermit
12-09-2011, 08:05 PM
We always used cedar posts, sharpened 'em with a chainsaw. Punched a hole in the ground with a crowbar, kept working it around and driving it deeper, set a post in, then drove it with a maul until it felt solid. Usually used woven wire fence, we had sheep. When it came to stretching it, we had two hardwood boards, about 5' long, with matching holes and about (near as I remember) 6 quarter inch bolts, put one board on each side of the fence, bolt 'em together, hook a block and tackle to the stretcher boards, and hook to some sort of anchor (tree, tractor, whatever). Tighten it up, put the staples to it.Been near on 50 years since I built a fence, can't say as how I miss it at all.

tj922
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
When I was 14 I wanted to work out at the highschool for football season. I couldn't drive, the school was 15 miles away. I asked my dad for a ride. He told me he didn't have time, but he needed 20 acres fenced with cedar posts from the swamp, and barb wire. He had an old post hole digger. I went to work, and in about three weeks, I had the fence in. I asked him again for a ride, he said that we needed to cut firewood for the winter, (22 cord in northern Michigan), now by this time I assumed he was just a mean old man, (which he was, but that is beside the point), you don't talk back, just do what your told, and nobody gets hurt, namely me. I cut, split, and piled the wood. No more time for workouts, just tryouts. I was the starting running back that was nowhere near tired when practice ended. The old man knew what would put muscle on you that won't tire. I put a fence around my 1/3 of an acre in southern California in a weekend 6 foot high dog eared redwood, with pressure treated 4X4 when I was 48.

tj922
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
We always used cedar posts, sharpened 'em with a chainsaw. Punched a hole in the ground with a crowbar, kept working it around and driving it deeper, set a post in, then drove it with a maul until it felt solid. Usually used woven wire fence, we had sheep. When it came to stretching it, we had two hardwood boards, about 5' long, with matching holes and about (near as I remember) 6 quarter inch bolts, put one board on each side of the fence, bolt 'em together, hook a block and tackle to the stretcher boards, and hook to some sort of anchor (tree, tractor, whatever). Tighten it up, put the staples to it.Been near on 50 years since I built a fence, can't say as how I miss it at all.
Yep block, and tackle, my dad was a fan of the come along ratchet style with about 1/2" steel cable, that thing was a beast.