PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog between aviation transmitter and ele - Need help trapping a ground hog....

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 02:26 AM
A nasty young groundhog decided to put his den under and between the transformer and a transmitter for commercial aviation. Rules dictate that if I set traps, someone has to go check it every morning. Looks like me - a nice round trip of a hour+ each day. So my manager suggested we pump Detour ( sticky white pepper into the holes ) And I thought buck or fox urine because they prefer a clean den. So I drive up there and there' four holes and what appears to be two dens within ten feet. Can't use the smoke - cause it might burn wires underground.

Just looking for ideas here. What can we do to drive them out of a hole quick? Hibernation is coming.

crashdive123
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
There are a few ways to do it yourself, but as you say will require you to visit the site often. Why not hire a professional and just be done with it? They may use either carbon monoxide or aluminum phosphide unless they are into trapping and relocating. Since it will take an hour + of your time along with the fuel consumption it may actually be cheaper to hire out.

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Ok good advice - I am the professional - gas? that might work.

Rick
12-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't know how large the aviation transmitter is but having worked in the vicinity of those there are some very severe penalties for disruption. That's just based on my experience. I refused to plow cable with a cat because the FAA guy on scene said it was mandatory jail time. I let my boss have a crack at it. He passed.....fortunately.

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Ya nailed the problem - its a federal offense. Something the groundhog is working on maliciously... I am looking into the price of rental of a Co2 cylinder and pipe.

Rick
12-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Can't you just hook a hose to the vehicle exhaust and stick the other end in the hole? Should do the same thing a bit cheaper. I did that with some ground squirrels.

crashdive123
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
CO will work, not sure about CO2. Car exhaust will work - I don't recommend it - especially on property that so many alphabet regulatory agencies think they have (or actually do have) some sort of jusisdiction.. Fumigant pellets work best, but you need a license to buy them.

Some other "home" remedies would be to cover fill the entrances and exits with dirt. They'll dig them out once or twice, but usually move on after that. They also do not like things moving around them. Some surveyors tape hung around the entrance and exit holes or some pinwheels may cause them to take up residence elsewher

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Can't you just hook a hose to the vehicle exhaust and stick the other end in the hole? Should do the same thing a bit cheaper. I did that with some ground squirrels.

Animal Protection Groups have moved proactively in this state against doing just that - that a box or any device like that has to be temp monitored, lighted and the gas has to be from a cylinder - it's the law passed last year - snuck thru - bed bugs have more rights.

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 11:29 PM
CO yea might work, easier to get Co2 here how it works it slightly heavier than average air - so in two places on the earth where thousands have been killed by a gas plume from volcano's the CO ran down hill after billowing from a lake or ponding behind an elementary school - the teachers could not figure out why the kids were dying in the back yard. A common road flare shows the ponding in uneven terrain. So pouring half a tank into a burrow will work - the GH would collapse in 40 seconds and fall into a deep unexceptionable sleep. - I am good with that.

lefties
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
This was my field for 40 yrs. A 160 connibear in the holes will kill em dead first time if legal in Pa.. No need for expensive trips. Smoke bombs in the holes may or may not work depending on depth,,dryness etc. Best advise,,hire a pro.

crashdive123
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Turns out that WOO is the pest control professional.

lefties
01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
only prob is in Pa right now they are probably in hibernation. Unless ur having a really really mild winter.

lefties
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Still best scenario is hire a pro,,wait until early spring.

Wildthang
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I set off a large 4th of July rocket in a groundhog hole once. I dont know where he went, but he either died in the fireworks, or he moved out!

TresMon
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
FAA =
Guess a real good shooting .22 rifle and a ghillie suit is out...........

randyt
01-23-2012, 10:59 PM
ok, take a 30 foot piece of barb wire and fold it in half and twist it together. On one end bend up a crank. feed it into the hole and start cranking,when you snag onto something pull it out and club it. other than that go with the conibears.