PDA

View Full Version : Salt Curing

Rick
02-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice article on curing pigs cheeks

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/how_to/the_art_of_the_cure.php

Sourdough
02-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Should work for Bear cheeks......right? That would be the front cheeks...Right:p

Rick
02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
naked cheek are preferred. Left or right doesn't matter. You can use both.

Tony uk
02-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I forget the recipie, But if you add lemons to salt, leave for a certain time, then when you go to use them in cooking there really good

Rick
02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Tony - Try this link and see if this is it. I've never heard of it. Pretty cool.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001815how_to_make_preserved_lemons.php

Tony uk
02-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks Rick, In the jar at the end they look really nice :D

Rick
02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
It makes sense. Both the salt and citric acid should prevent spoilage. I wonder if you could do the same with limes? Grapefruits?

Tony uk
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
It makes sense. Both the salt and citric acid should prevent spoilage. I wonder if you could do the same with limes? Grapefruits?

In days past on war ships, im sure people then did something to perserve limes on ships to be used to prevent scurvy

IT sounds like it would work in much the same way

Look here Rick :-

http://stason.org/TULARC/food/preserving/6-5-3-Salt-cured-pickled-preserved-lemons-and-limes-Used.html

Rick
02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Another link with a lot more information:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/africa/morocco/preserved-lemons1.html

One for limes:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=1414

Grapefruit:

http://cookandeat.com/2007/04/18/a-moroccan-inspired-artichoke-frittata/

Tony uk
02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
O.o Thanks Rick :D , Lots of good info on that site

Beo
03-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I prefer smoking over salt curing as I think it taste better, the way I have done it is like this, there are three traditionally recognized reasons for smoking meat are for preservation, appearance, and flavor. Smoked meat is less likely to spoil than unsmoked meat. Smoking improves the flavor and appearance, aids in reducing mold growth,as well as retards rancid flavors. It takes about 24 hours to smoke and cook hams. Smoking is usually accomplished in three stages. During the first phase, or drying stage, the smokehouse is heated to 125°F. All dampers are opened to allow all excess moisture to escape and there is no smoking during this 8-hour period. During the next eight-hour stage, the dampers are partially closed and the temperature on the house increased to 135°F. and smoke is generated. The smoke is continued throughout the third stage with all dampers closed, and the temperature on the house raised to 180°F. Hold this temperature until the product temperature reaches 142°F. These hams will require further cooking in the home for full tenderization. Hams sold as "fully cooked" have received extra heat processing to an internal temperature of at least 148°F.
The wood used to generate the smoke should be of the hardwood species. Do not use pine or any other resinous wood or sawdust because the smoke from such wood will be sooty and strong smelling. It is recommended to use wood or sawdust from hickory, apple, plum, oak, maple, ash, or any non-resinous wood to obtain satisfactory results.

Rick
03-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I put up a quart of oranges today using the recipe in the link on post 5. It was pretty easy to do. However, if you try it, use the smaller oranges. I didn't think about it and bought Navel oranges. They were just a bit too big to fit into the mouth on the quart jar. Smaller oranges would be easier to get in the jar. I think I'll try some lemons and limes next. I'll let you know how all of it turns out in a couple of weeks. If you stop hearing from me, you'll sort of know.

Ole WV Coot
03-16-2008, 02:08 PM
What ?? Nothing for chicken lips? They are kinda scarce but really tasty. We sell them to tourists from up North.

Rick
03-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Your secret is out now, Coot....

CHICKEN LIPS
2 pounds voluptuous chicken breasts
2 pounds flour
1 quart buttermilk
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons black pepper

Buy fresh boneless chicken breasts, big, jumbo babies, wash thoroughly then place on a cutting board, use a sharp knife to remove any fat or skin. Cut chicken into long strips about as thick as your thumb. Put the flour into a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Pour the buttermilk into a bowl. Make sure the bowls you use are large enough to handle the chicken when it is added. Dip the chicken a few strips at a time into the flour, then buttermilk, then back to the flour. Coat well in each stage. Place them on a platter as they are breaded and reserve until cooking.

Heat frying oil in a large skillet or pot, fry daddy or outdoor cooker to 350 degrees. Fry the lips in batches and place them on a platter lined with paper towels. Dip the lips into the hot lip sauce and put onto a serving platter. Serve immediately with Budweiser Blue Cheese Dressing on the side.

HOT LIP SAUCE
1 pound butter
2 cups hot sauce
1 tablespoon granulated garlic

Melt the butter in a pan large enough to hold it, do not allow it to boil. Pour the butter into a blender. Turn blender on to high, hopefully remembering to put the cover on first. Slowly pour in in hot sauce until it is incorporated, the sauce should be bright orange and become emulsified or slightly thick, add garlic and blend for about 30 seconds. This is Hot Lip Sauce.

If you have any left over pour it into a jug, cover it and save at room temperature until next time. Hot Lip Sauce should keep at room temperature for at least three days.

BUDWEISER BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
1 pint heavy mayonnaise
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large swig of Bud Fat
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 pound Maytag blue cheese crumbles

Put everything except the blue cheese into a large bowl, mix well. Add the blue cheese and lightly stir in. Some recipes are just that simple.

CHICKEN LIP PO BOY
Large Chicken lips, swimming in Hot Lip Sauce
Budweiser Blue Cheese Dressing
One 10" long French bread

Follow the recipe for chicken lips. You'll need 4 large lips for each Po Boy. Get some good French bread. Slice it in half lengthwise, but don't cut all the way through. Place the chicken lips into the bread and smother with Blue Cheese Dressing! Wow! Life just doesn't get any better than this.

This is one of those things in life that while you're eating, you think "Man, this experience makes me feel sorry for everybody else in the world!" Just like being in love! Only with a sandwich!

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Rick, Hope your salted limes turn out well :D

BraggSurvivor
03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
One thing to make sure when barrel salting meat is not having pieces touch each other. Good separation and pack salt tightly between slabs.

Beo
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I got 3 PMs on how I do salt cured bacon, to be honest I don't do it the wife does, this is her recipe and where she got it I have no idea but it tastes really good to me and my tummy thanks her for it. I built the plans from a some site I found a while back or got it the backwoodsman Magazine not sure which.
Salt Cured Bacon By Beo's Wife (not putting her name in here, sorry. You may call her Beoette if you like:D)
What to use:
Begin with fresh bellies that have been chilled to about 42 degrees Fahrenheit within 24 to 30 hours after slaughter. If the fresh bellies are purchased from a commercial source, they have been properly chilled. If the source is farm slaughter, take care to chill them rapidly. Do not stack warm bellies during the chilling process. Trim the bellies to desired shape and apply cure within 48 hours after slaughter. Bellies prepared from skinned carcasses may be cured successfully in the same manner as those from scalded carcasses.
Curing ingredients:
Salt is the primary ingredient. Sugar is added to offset some of the salt's harshness. A combination of 3 pounds salt and 1-1/2 pounds sugar, either white or brown, is a basic mixture. There are several commercially prepared cures comprised of this basic mixture. Some have added spices and flavoring to give a characteristic flavor, aroma or appearance. A cure mixture that performs well under home curing conditions consists of 7 pounds meat curing salt, 4 pounds sugar (white or brown) and 3 ounces of nitrate (saltpeter -- optional). This cure produces a milk-flavored bacon.
Applying cure:
If commercially prepared cure is used, apply according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you prepare your cure according to the suggested recipe, apply the cure at rate of 1/2 ounce per pound fresh belly. If you cannot weigh the ingredients and bellies, you can put the cure on by sprinkling the skin side and by rubbing the sides and inside well with the cure. Hold the belly on edge and tap gently on table to remove excess cure. The amount applied will equal about 1/2 ounce per pound.
Curing time:
Stack the bellies crisscross no more than four layers deep on a table that is tilted to allow the moisture to drain away. Plywood on a set of sawhorses works well. Place the bellies in a well-ventilated, odor-free room and allow to cure 7 days. If the bellies freeze before 7 days, allow them to defrost and add one day to cure for each day they were frozen. After curing, the product should be smoked.
Preparation for smoking:
Wash the bacon in warm water, hang in the smokehouse with door open and allow to dry. This may take two or three days. The meat will not take smoke until the surface is dry. If the meat is smoked when still damp, the smoke will be smudgy and the meat will not taste as good. When the bacon is dry, apply the smoke and allow about 36 to 48 hours to complete the smoking. Add sawdust or wood as needed during the smoking.
Smokehouse:
A smokehouse like mine may be constructed using three pieces of tempered masonite, stove pipe, a 30-gallon drum and frame lumber. The outside dimensions are about 2 feet wide, 4 feet deep and 8 feet tall. This will smoke the bacon and jowls from four hogs. Smoke from burning sawdust in the drum is vented into a lower corner of the smokehouse, then vented out the opposite corner near the top of a flue. The drum should lay on a metal base with about 2 feet of 3- or 4-inch vent pipe to the smokehouse. Air vents should be made in the drum on the side opposite the vent pipe and about one-fourth the distance up from the bottom. Cut a hole in the top to allow filling with sawdust. Start the smoke generator by putting crumpled paper in the lower vents, piling sawdust on the paper and lighting the paper. Leave enough room for air to get in as the sawdust burns. The sawdust should smolder and give off smoke. If it flames, dampen the sawdust with water.
Bacon hangers:
Bacon hangers can be made of non-resinous wood material about 2-inches wide, 1/2-inch thick, and 12-inches long. Space four or five number 6 galvanized nails along the board, make a hanger from number 9 galvanized wire and fasten to the middle of the board.
Source of wood for smoke:
Use only hardwood sawdust or chips for smoking. Resinous evergreen wood will impart an undesirable flavor. Sawdust from a stave bolt mill or sawmill where no resinous lumber is cut will be fine. Since most home smokehouses are designed to give a cold smoke, drying and smoking will take longer than at a commercial facility.
When finished:
Bacon cured and smoked in this fashion is perishable and needs to be frozen or stored in a refrigerator until eaten. Remove the rind if it is not removed during slaughter, slice, wrap in freezer paper and freeze. The sliced bacon will retain its quality 2 to 3 months in freezer storage. If more bacon was cured than the family will eat in two to three months, wrap and freeze in chunks. Bacon will keep its fresh flavor longer during freezer storage if it is not sliced.
Hope this helps and you like the taste. I am not responsible if your batch taste like open azz, if you do it wrong or anything else that may occur, although if done properly it is real good.

Tony uk
03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
O.o Thanks Beo.........Interesting :D