PDA

View Full Version : How would you maintain a positive mental attitude.

southard
12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I was chasing little white lines the other day (the kind on the road not the powdery kind) and started thinking about how in a survival situation staying positive is the most important thing.
Now being that this is a survival forum and I assume the majority of us have prepped B.O.B.s or get home bags. What have you packed, prepared, or othrerwised planned to assist you in maintaining a P.M.A.

for those cold dark nights huddled in a shelter or sitting waitimg for help. I have

Mp3 player with AM/FM capabilities
My E-reader loaded with books.
My faithful Harmonica (and by what my wife says this will double as self defense if Im blowing into it)
Oh and my ever present collie/heeler mix Chase.

BENESSE
12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
OK.
I hope this doesn't sound like a lot of mumbo-jumbo, but here it goes.
For the longest time I've been practicing meditation and yoga. It's what keeps the body and spirit in sync and allows you to "immunize" yourself (for a while) from the outside stress.
I have literally been able to lower my BP in the span of 10 minutes and get my HBM (heart beats per minute) from 90 to 62. All in my head, doing breathing exercises. Once you calm your mind, you can think more clearly. You are less afraid, less annoyed, less prone to make a mistake. You are more content, more expansive toward life and mankind. You relax. You can sleep. You have more energy.
I felt that mastering this issue on my own and by myself went a long way to not being dependent on external circumstances and other people to keep me from getting in a funk.
It's a work in progress, but IMO, it always starts inward and works itself out. I feel that if you can master your own self first, you can pretty much do anything.

southard
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
It doesnt sound like mumbo jumbo. In fact thats kinda how I overcame extreme rage issues (at 10 I choked out a male counseler) as a kid. That and purposefully getting lost and tearing my hands up hitting trees. But I'm much better now.!p

crashdive123
12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
No mumbo jumbo at all B. For me, having spent quite a bit of time relatively isolated and at times in a high stress environment I stay busy. Working on the task at hand, planning for the next task, improving the situation I'm in......all activities that are aimed at the final goal.

Rick
12-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I have positive karma coming out my ears. I'm probably the most positive, glass overflowing, guy you ever met. If you wanted someone to keep it positive when things are bad then I'm your boy. Seriously, it's just never been hard for me. I look at the issue, try to figure out what options are available and try to apply the best one. If it doesn't work then I do it all over again. I've never been afraid either. I've been in some pretty crappy situations, even had guns pulled on me, and I've never been afraid. Maybe I'm just too dumb to be afraid but that's sort of how I am.

natertot
12-04-2011, 12:27 AM
For me, it is a deck of cards. Just shuffling them or playing a light game can be relaxing. A deck is pretty cheap and takes up very little space. You can also use the box and jokers for fire tender!

Rick
12-04-2011, 12:38 AM
No one is throwing me in the fire..Oh....you meant the jokers in the.... never mind.

southard
12-04-2011, 01:09 AM
The thought came to me because everything Ive read listened to or watched has brought up not panicking and staying positive then left it at that. Just an object of meaning, picture anthing really to focus on almost like they tell women in birthing classes. Most dont take up room or might be EDC. My mutt does that for me all the time and he can carry some the crap, Im tryng to figure out a kit for his harness pack but thats another thread entirely.

SARKY
12-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Miss B, I use meditation and yoga to calm myself when I shoot. I helps make me rock steady.

The system I teach is A.S.K. (Attitude, Skills, Kit)
You have to at least start out with the will to survive. That is your foundation attitude. As long as you have that, the more skills you acquire/master, the better/stronger your attitude will be. Kit as in a BOB, EDC or GHB is NOT necessary for a positive attitude. Having a kit is merely gravy on the attitude (potatoes)

southard
12-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Mmmmm, you said gravy.

aflineman
12-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Coffee, lots and lots of coffee. As long as I can sit by a fire with a hot cup of coffee, life ain't all that bad. :D
I have a book with me most all of the time, and always have a few in the car. That and a picture of my family.
BENESSE, that stuff ain't mumbo-jumbo. It works, and I have used meditation for years. Helps to put the mind in the right place for many situations.

1stimestar
12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm a pretty positive person in general. If something doesn't work out, I go on to try something else. I guess it's perseverance.

hossthehermit
12-04-2011, 07:34 AM
As long as there's bacon ....

kyratshooter
12-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Mmmmm, bacon!

Some of us have already faced things that would have put a gun in the mouth, or a handfull of pills in the mouth of another person. SHTF comes in a variety of flavors and not all of them are waiting for full social/systems breakdown to put themselves in your path.

Each individual requires different motivation.

When I was younger my motivation to keep going through difficult situations was my family.

Now that I am old and alone what keeps me going it is the eternal driving force compelling me to get even and make some poor SOB pay for putting me in these situations.

Sometimes the best revenge is simply staying alive.

Rick
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
If bacon can give Kyrat a positive mental attitude then it can for sure help anyone. I've always suspected that there was something in bacon that could turn a rabid, street gang member, serial rapist killer with a bad attitude into a Baptist choir member. Now I'm sure of it. Oh, no offense meant to rabid, street gang member, serial rapist killers with a bad attitude.

crashdive123
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Corn on the cob steamed in Pace picante sauce can put Krat in a good mood too.

kyratshooter
12-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Corn on the cob steamed in Pace picante sauce can put Krat in a good mood too.

I refuse to comment and stand on my 5th ammendment right to not appear a weak veggie-grubbing geezer.

There were peppers and onions in there, with some potatoes and celery.

There was pie too, and chicken tenders if I remember correctly. Then I dozed off and melted my shoe soles in front of the fire.

We now have found the solution to this attitude problem.

Chicken tenders, veggies, picante sauce, pie and coffee in front of a good fire with some good friends. Attitude adjustment par-execelence!

crashdive123
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Amen to that.

hossthehermit
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I refuse to comment and stand on my 5th ammendment right to not appear a weak veggie-grubbing geezer.

There were peppers and onions in there, with some potatoes and celery.

There was pie too, and chicken tenders if I remember correctly. Then I dozed off and melted my shoe soles in front of the fire.

We now have found the solution to this attitude problem.

Chicken tenders, veggies, picante sauce, pie and coffee in front of a good fire with some good friends. Attitude adjustment par-execelence!
Forgot the most important part - BAAAAAAACONNNNNNNNNN

crashdive123
12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Forgot the most important part - BAAAAAAACONNNNNNNNNN

That was the next morning with the left over taters, peppers and onions.

Rick
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I understand the air quality has begun to improve and they plan to reopen the park in the next week or two.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
12-05-2011, 02:59 AM
The fire alone is enough to keep my already very positive mind in good frame. I do not carry electronics myself prefer books, namely my journal and my Bible occasionally a good handbook .Just my way I see nothing wrong with other ways this is just me.
I

southard
12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
My electronics are small the mp3 player is smaller than a credit card and 1/8 in thick, and the e-book is 8x5.5 both can be charged by a dynamo flashlight my kids got me (the light stinks but it will charge everything well). The ebook will hold thousands of books.

SARKY
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Comfort items also help keep a positive attitude. Speaking of which, CostCo has Bacon wrapped dated with almonds (wicked good!). Chocolate (the darker the better) is another good comfort food.

crashdive123
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Comfort items also help keep a positive attitude. Speaking of which, CostCo has Bacon wrapped dated with almonds (wicked good!). Chocolate (the darker the better) is another good comfort food.

I see that the time you spent in New England has rubbed off on you.

Beans
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
It doesnt sound like mumbo jumbo. In fact thats kinda how I overcame extreme rage issues (at 10 I choked out a male counseler) as a kid. That and purposefully getting lost and tearing my hands up hitting trees. But I'm much better now.!p

Learning to Ignore those voices that tell you to do something is very hard.

BENESSE
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
It is hard because it is entirely up to us. We prefer not think about the fact that everything starts from within. Conquering our own demons first, be it rage, fear, addiction, complacency, self-pity, laziness, etc., gives us the experience and the tools to deal with difficult external circumstance in which we all, sooner or later, find ourselves. We might not be able to change them, but we can change how we think about them. That part will always be within our control. IMHO.

Rick
12-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I think your humble opinion is spot on.

intothenew
12-09-2011, 06:57 AM
I simply try to stay busy. I can read only during daylight, my eyes are starting to cooperate less with fire light. When I do read, it is a field guide or manual. Quite often I try to prepare for cordage or weaving of the evenings, It's relaxing and burns a lot of time.

postman
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
For me personally, the mental outlook that I have in a situation depends greatly on my abilities. Being prepared with the proper gear is nice, but having the knowledge and ability to get by with very little is more important.