PDA

View Full Version : Just A Suggestion.

Doyle
11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I have been involved with multiple forums, for photoshop and web design, also compsci for multiple language help. I have been an administrator on an invision power board, which was a lot easier to customize and edit than vBulletin(In my opinion) Anyways, I find that it can be hard navigating and searching for articles among the forum. There are mods(add-ons) such as vBWiki that add a wikipedia kind database to the forums which users can contribute, and even add wiki moderators to edit and review articles, as not everything everyone posts is accurate,but that can be just for informative articles, instead of discussions.

It's just an idea, for the site to grow, you have to be innovative, get things that other sites don't have that will make it interesting for users to come and stay. There are lots of mods, that are simple and can be so essential to a site like this, photogallery, vbWiki

Anyways a vBWiki I have seen work in the past is
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136242

Rick
11-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Your posts were moderated because of the links. I deleted one since it was a duplicate of this one. You couldn't see them because they were waiting to be moderated.

The problem with hacks, as you know, is they must be manually reapplied each time a new release comes out. If you are loaded with hacks then it becomes an administrative nightmare to forward apply each one and ensure you've capture all of them and captured them correctly IF they even function with the new release of software.

A form of wiki is something we've discussed in the past. If/when Chris finds one he's satisfied with it might be something he will add. As to being innovative, hang around and you'll find out this site has been pretty innovative over the years.

natertot
11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow Rick, you're pretty mellow today! I was expecting, "You only have seven posts and you are already trying to take over the forum?!?!?!?!?!" :saberbattle:

Rick
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Me thinks this is a younger one that he would want us to believe. I tend to take it easy on them.

1stimestar
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
This site already does have things that other sites don't; these guys!

Doyle
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Lmfao, I'm 16. Not stupid, i never knew you could assess intelligence levels by age. Anyways,
I'm not trying to take over, I've spent hours looking through the site before even registering, and a part of developing is making it easier for the user, and working with past forums, a wiki app would help greatly, and my bad about the double, i actually didnt realize the message that popped up for mod permission so I reposted thinking an error had occurred. Sorry about that Rick.

Rick
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
No problem on the double post and no one thinks you're stupid. However, when you tell us that you've spent 5 days out with only a survival kit and then tell us that you have a minimal survival kit and explain the few items it has and also tell us you don't know what survival skills to research that's pretty standard fare for someone that is younger and doesn't have a lot of experience. Neither age nor experience is a negative. We all started some place and, if we're worth our salt, we're always learning. Always.

If I had thought you were, say 36, and made that post I would have answered you a bit differently and probably a bit more harshly. But I assumed you were probably in your teens, based on your previous posts, and answered the way I did.

Take no offense. None is meant. You can learn an awful lot here. There are folks that have and do spent weeks at a time in the back country. Many live off grid and many just enjoy week-end hikes. So there's something for you if really want to learn.

Doyle
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm very basic, but I did take a 6 week course, which my exam was 5 days...
I want to go into depth with bush craft. I've always considered being a hermit, with internet and electricity, cause my interest in computers is just as great as survival.

Rick
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
That's cool. I like the hermit with internet and electricity. We have a few of those as well.

Read through this post and it will give you some ideas. I wrote it for the many folks that come on here and want to live in the wild with only a knife. We get a lot of those. But it will give you some ideas of things you might want to work on.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?6837-What-Do-I-Need-To-Survive-in-the-Wild

Doyle
11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Now that is sweet, itd be cool talking to a hermit first hand! on a regular basis how many hours do you spend on this site? I'm constantly reading at school, and out of school aha. My friends say i have become a loser..

crashdive123
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Now that is sweet, itd be cool talking to a hermit first hand! on a regular basis how many hours do you spend on this site? I'm constantly reading at school, and out of school aha. My friends say i have become a loser..

A couple of points....
(1) If you talk to a hermit on a regular basis then are they really a hermit?:innocent:
(2) How will your supposed friends feel when you own the world and they're asking if you want fries with that order?:sneaky2:

Doyle
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
well, you could have a hermit that comes into the city to see family, and gather simple supplies, i know myself if i was a hermit, i'd enjoy some things that we have designed. or even a stove, cooking over a fire all the time, can become boring.. although, what else would you do to kill time!

Chris
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
I would really like a wiki, but as Rick said, I don't like hacks and mods. In addition to the problems he mentioned, sometimes they get abandoned, and when you have to upgrade you have no new version to deal with.

Especially as often as they've been releasing vb4 patches.

I really want, and have asked the developers, for a vb core wiki. As soon as it is made, we'll get it.

Doyle
11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
You could have a wiki type script, even outside of vB?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
There is endless opportunity, But I understand where your coming from.

Rick
11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
If you talk to a hermit on a regular basis then are they really a hermit?

Dang it! I was all set for a nice quiet afternoon and now this. I'll be conjuring on this conundrum the rest of the afternoon. Thank you very much!

kyratshooter
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
As soon as people quit being wrong on the internet, and forcing me go online to correct them, I will become a hermit!

mouse111111
11-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I like your attitude Kyrat.

Rick
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Don't encourage him. We just got him to go on the papers now he's gonna be runnin all around the house again.

Kyrat is really the guy that plays Mayhem on the Allstate commercials.

Recalculating!

http://www.magnificentbastard.com/images/pics/mayhem-no-collar-bar.jpg

1stimestar
11-30-2011, 12:52 AM
well, you could have a hermit that comes into the city to see family, and gather simple supplies, i know myself if i was a hermit, i'd enjoy some things that we have designed. or even a stove, cooking over a fire all the time, can become boring.. although, what else would you do to kill time!

Up here, being a hermit does not necessarily mean you don't have a stove, a fairly traditional kitchen even. Running water is whole other thing though. But as far as being bored? There's no time to be bored.

Even though we have to haul our water and heat it on the stove, it's an electric stove so obviously we are not totally off the grid.

http://cloud9doula.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/img_2489.jpg

Still, lots of stuff to do.
Fix ****...
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5046/5382874251_1c8bb58cbc_z.jpg

Shovel ****...
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5138/5482945764_b30c0e8c06_z.jpg

Dry sh...I mean salmon...
http://cloud9doula.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/img_1782.jpg?w=420&h=560

And then there's always fishing.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/268867_1855666034116_1314787470_31606362_3281353_n .jpg

COWBOYSURVIVAL
11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Awesome post !stimester! Making me want to be a Hermit too!

Rick
11-30-2011, 08:32 AM
That is a fine post. That's the first time I think you've posted on drying salmon. A few questions. Is that a yearly thing for you? About how many pounds (if you know) do you dry? And how long does last (do you use it all over the winter)?

gryffynklm
11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Woo Hoo Americorp!!!!

hossthehermit
12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes, folks, it's true. You, too, CAN NOW become a HERMIT in ONLY 14 EASY LESSONS. Until our recent,( patent pending), scientific breakthrough, it took years of blind, unguided, mucking about, down one dead-end trail after another, wandering aimlessly through the mire and morass of wannabe hermithood, frequently ending up in "THE CUBICLE". But, now, for a limited time and not available in stores, the 14 easy steps to guaranteed hermitism is available to selected applicants who posess the necessary skills, drive, attitude, and financial attributes. CALL NOW FOR YOUR FREE APPLICATION FORM. (Just pay separate shipping and handling)

Rick
12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are. God bless those little hermits down there in New Guinea.

BENESSE
12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, folks, it's true. You, too, CAN NOW become a HERMIT in ONLY 14 EASY LESSONS. Until our recent,( patent pending), scientific breakthrough, it took years of blind, unguided, mucking about, down one dead-end trail after another, wandering aimlessly through the mire and morass of wannabe hermithood, frequently ending up in "THE CUBICLE". But, now, for a limited time and not available in stores, the 14 easy steps to guaranteed hermitism is available to selected applicants who posess the necessary skills, drive, attitude, and financial attributes. CALL NOW FOR YOUR FREE APPLICATION FORM. (Just pay separate shipping and handling)

(Batteries not included.)
And if you act NOW, you'll also get a set of ear plugs and the Soft Comfort Deluxe Sleep Mask for a complete, cut-to -the-chase, I'm a hermit, effect.

1stimestar
12-02-2011, 04:39 AM
For craps sake, don't forget the GINSU knives. Oh wait, I also will thow in a Popiel Pocket Fisher.

1stimestar
12-02-2011, 04:43 AM
That is a fine post. That's the first time I think you've posted on drying salmon. A few questions. Is that a yearly thing for you? About how many pounds (if you know) do you dry? And how long does last (do you use it all over the winter)?

That's actually my friend's fish. They need 5,000 a year to feed their kennel of dogs. You can read about it in my blog under A Fowl Adventure if you'd like. To get to their house, 6 hour drive, park on the riverbank, they pick me up in their boat, go up the river 7 miles, park the boat, take the ATVs a few miles up the trail they cut themselves, to their hand built cabin. They run Bush Alaska Expeditions and haul all sorts of people from researchers, scientists, and Sierra Club people into the arctic with their dogs.

Woo Hoo Americorp!!!!

Yep, I was a supervisor for several years (and all I got was a lousy vest, not really).

Rick
12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Crimeny. How do people find places like that? Do they just get lost in the wilderness and wind up someplace and think, "This would be a dandy place to build a cabin"? I'll bet getting their morning Starbuck's is a *****.

"Brrrrrr. It's -45F out there."
"You be careful. Make mine a java chip frappuccino this morning."
"Looks like we had another foot of snow. I'll be back by lunch."

1stimestar
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Crimeny. How do people find places like that? Do they just get lost in the wilderness and wind up someplace and think, "This would be a dandy place to build a cabin"? I'll bet getting their morning Starbuck's is a *****.

"Brrrrrr. It's -45F out there."
"You be careful. Make mine a java chip frappuccino this morning."
"Looks like we had another foot of snow. I'll be back by lunch."

He was looking for land and knew somebody who knew somebody who might have some for sale...