PDA

View Full Version : just one crank

randyt
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I have a project in the hopper that requires a small gas engine. I started out with a old olive drab kick start briggs. On further thought it's really not big enough. So I started in on a old single cylinder wisconsin. I couldn't get a spark, I came to the conclusion that the condenser was bad. That began a search, wico magneto parts can only be found on the internet, I wanted local if possible. A fella at the car parts store advised me to hit the condenser with a quick jolt of 12 volts, which I did. After reassembly, still no spark, after fiddling with the points I got a strong spark...yippee I had cleaned the points and adjusted them prior, sometimes it pays to revisit.

I put the sparkplug into the engine, filled the gas tank, bled the gas lines. Wrapped the cord around the recoil and pulled. Kavoom it started with one crank. I thought I was going to have to fiddle with it. It started with one pull several times.

This engine has been setting for at least twenty years. The last time it was used, it was on a homemade generator for charging car batteries. It was coupled with a old car generator.

I wonder if a honda, yamaha, etc would do the same after twenty years.

here's the culprit, thanks for looking.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/007-5.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/006-7.jpg

Rick
11-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Randy - Good for you! I will spend more time, money and energy on bringing an old warrior back to life than if I went out and bought it new. But I get a perverse pleasure out of seeing new life from old stuff. Good job!!!

randyt
11-13-2011, 10:56 AM
thanks Rick, the old stuff in some cases is better in my opinion. It's made to be repaired by the common man. those old wisconsins can be a PIA. we used them on different equipment. All were hand crank of sorts. The family didn't believe in a starter LOL. Although I remember a few times when we hooked up the allis chalmers to the edger with a flat belt and rolled over the wisconsin that ran that. He took a model t engine off his portable welder and put on a wisconsin. all in all though the wisconsins were ok. I think grandpa had gotten old and didn't feel like fiddling with them at times.

jake abraham
11-13-2011, 12:02 PM
that is a neat post that it cranked with only one pull is amazing compared to alot of the newer engines

crashdive123
11-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Old equipment that functions well gives all of us F.A.R.T.S. hope for the future.

hunter63
11-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Congrats on another dinosaur returning to life.

Those old 4 cycle engines from the past, very hard to kill.......have several that are 20 years old or older, and yeah, they are much easier to keep running, and rebuild.

By sticking to common U.S. brands, (hard to do sometimes), you can even find parts.
Imagine that.

randyt
11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks for the comments fellas. I have several old engines that I have plans for. The oldest is a old maytag kick start, I believe it's what is called a hit and miss, or maybe a old hercules stationary. The oldest must be a little toy steam engine that was my granddads back when he was a child, It still works. Although it's been many years since I seen it run.
The plans are real important too, it a good thing my hierarchy of needs are met LOL.