PDA

View Full Version : New head lamp.......

Robbie Roberson
02-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow........I just found petzl head lamps !

I just got me a petzl tikka plus and man is it the berries ! :D

If you have not tried one of these jewels then please check one out.........you won't believe how well they work for everything including doing things around the house.

REI has some great reviews on this light.

Robbie Roberson.;)

Rick
02-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Petzl makes sooooo many headlamps. The Tactikka Plus has some nice settings. The red filter is an eye saver for night.

Petzl products were actually designed for work rather than play. They are heavily involved in the field of working at height such as water towers, gaffers, rescue, pylons, towers, arboriculture, etc. Good quality stuff.

Robbie Roberson
02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes ! I love mine.

I'm going today to get a printon tec quad and compare it to the petzl tikka plus and see how they both stack up.

Robbie Roberson.

Robbie Roberson
02-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Well I got the princeton tec quad and it is amazing !

The battery case works smooth as silk and I really can't tell much difference in lighting between it and the petzl.

Even though the petzl says it has 35 lumens and the PT quad has 21 lumens, they both seem very bright and I love the way they both operate.

I'll tell you, if you ever do anything at all to need bright direct light you should consider one of these head lamps........either brand seems great.

I have not had a chance to test both of them in the field but my first impressions are they would work very well.

The petzl is a little harder to install batteries in but once you get them in you should not need to replace them for many hours.

The princton is a snap to install batteries and the switch is super smooth to operate.

All in all........I really like them both so I must keep both ! :o

Robbie Roberson.

Rick
02-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Here's a thought. Try both of them out and see which one you like the best. Then, send the other to me. I'll figure out something to do with it. You sure don't need to be carrying extra gear around...you know....all that weight.:rolleyes:

Assassin Pilot
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I have a Petzle Tikka (regular) headlamp and I am quite satisfied with it. It gives me bright light and does all I need it to. I'm glad to know I have a good one.

Robbie Roberson
02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
These are so cool......I wore mine to bed last night just in case I needed it............(just kidding) :D

The PT quad is probably my favorite over all because the switch works so smooth and the battery box seems easier to load and close via screw.

The Petzl just snaps closed......very solidly though.

A nice touch is a threaded nut embedded in the case of the PT quad for the screw to go into and not strip out of plastic threads.

They both are extremly comfortable to wear with the Petzl being a few ounces lighter and a bit smaller it seems over all.

I like the fact that these lights/batteries should last so much longer compared to the older models I used to carry.

Can't wait until dark.............:p

Robbie Roberson.

Rick
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Man, that is either just too funny or just too weird. I'll let you choose.

Wife: "Rick, what are you doing?"
Rick (under the covers...click on...click off...click on....click off) "Bought a new headlight, dear. Just tryin' it out."

crashdive123
02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Man, that is either just too funny or just too weird. I'll let you choose.

Wife: "Rick, what are you doing?"
Rick (under the covers...click on...click off...click on....click off) "Bought a new headlight, dear. Just tryin' it out."

I just had a picture of you sitting in bed (fully clothed in you PJ's) trying out your next new toy. Clap on, clap off. (Neighbors call police because the lights keep going on and off. :eek::D:eek:

pgvoutdoors
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Headlamps are most definitely the way to go. I've used Petzl, Princetec Tec, and Black Diamond (the advantages of working for an outfitter) and they all have great lamps and plenty of variety. Even if you don't want to pay top dollar, these days you can buy a decent off brand lamp pretty cheap. You would be surprised how many people still have no idea how handy they are. Fifteen years ago it was like pulling teeth to get someone to buy one. They thought they would look stupid wearing it. What looked stupid was trying to hold a flashlight and putting up a tent. Or trying to cook a meal with a flashlight tucked under their chin. But every time I guided an outing I would issue headlamps to everyone that didn't have one, they all wanted to buy one when they got back. I really come to like the combination LED/Halogen types. I have poor night vision these days and some times while hiking in the bush the LED doesn't quite throw enough light. But around the camp and in the tent the LED works perfect and saves on batteries. I put a good headlamp up there with a good camp knife.

Robbie Roberson
02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
You guys are too funny !

Pgvoutdoors, thanks for the input. It's good to hear from a real long time user of these things......I've had mine a few days and I am sold.

All these years I held a mini mag AA in my mouth.......uck ! :o

I have to say my PT quad seems to be my favorite at this point because it seems to be a little more user friendly for me........even though I like the Petzl and will use it often too.

I really am going for a walk out in the woods right now at 11 pm in Tenn. :eek:

Monsters.........are they out after 11 pm ? :o

Robbie

pgvoutdoors
02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
You go for it!!! It's to darn cold for me to go back out. (5 degrees, 30 mph winds, -15 chill factor)

pgvoutdoors
02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Has anyone heard from Robbie sense last night?

Beo
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
And here I was thinking those were just for dorks and people who read in bed at night :D

Rick
02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
PGV's story was actually pretty funny. My son has one but I still use my AA Maglite wrapped with duct tape. I drag it out and stick it in my mouth to see what I'm doing. He looks at me and smiles and just shakes his head.

Assassin Pilot
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
They are also handy while playing manhunt and capture the flag. Just turn it on when on defense, and off while stealing the enemy flag. Flashlights are bulky and slow you down. Not to mention they knock you off balance.

trax
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
They are also handy while playing manhunt and capture the flag. Just turn it on when on defense, and off while stealing the enemy flag. Flashlights are bulky and slow you down. Not to mention they knock you off balance.

This suggests that Beo's original theory may have been correct.:D

Robbie Roberson
02-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I made it back in last night. :D

I had a good walk in the dark and my wife thinks I'm weird.......:o

Both brands are keepers but I still like the PT quad the best because the switch is a little easier to operate and the battery compartment is easier to get into.

I think the Petzl might be a brighter light, but it's hard to tell much difference when your in the woods.

It sure is a lot easier to walk at night with hands free.

I'm sold.........:D

Robbie Roberson.

Rick
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
So which one are you sending me? The Petzl? You're okay, Robbie. I don't care what PGV and Tracks say.

trax
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
So which one are you sending me? The Petzl? You're okay, Robbie. I don't care what PGV and Tracks say.

I don' t think he meant you Tracks. Nice shot Twinkie.

Rick
02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Ooops. Typo. Sorry.

Tony uk
02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Rick, Tut Tut, *Shakes head from side to side*

Assassin Pilot
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Buy it yourself Rick, don't be such a lazy b***ard. He needs an extra one in his car emergency kit anyways :)

trax
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Hey Hey there AP....he wasn't being lazy...he was being cheap...get it straight will ya? LOLOL

Assassin Pilot
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Woops, sorry for my bad English. I've lived in America for only 10 years :D

Robbie Roberson
02-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Just got back from a dark rainy walk.

Kind of spooky.....using my new Petzl on high and watching the rain drops falling in front of that intense beam of light.......fog from my breath. :D

I had a hat on and realized the beam would not shine down too much.....but this light still did it's job.

I made it to my little hideaway under a pre-made shelter I made late last fall. It is a green tarp stretched between 4 trees.

The tarp made me feel secure and dry.........soothing rain on plastic.

I often wonder why I enjoy silly things like this so much.:o

Robbie Roberson.;)

wildWoman
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm hoping Petzl or Freeplay will make a headlamp with a dynamo charger soon! When you use them a lot, it's still eating up quite some batteries (we use rechargables but it's stupid when you have to recharge them with a generator). I bought sort of a no-name headlamp with a dynamo charger a few months ago but it's no good, you get only about 20 minutes of light, apparently no matter how long you wind it up. We have the Indigo lantern by Freeplay, which has a way better power conversion, so it must be possible to come up with something more efficient.

Robbie Roberson
02-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Update on head lamps..........(make note) : I Need more samples. :D

I love these things ! Princeton Tec quad has become my favorite for many reasons but as I said in an earlier post I still love my Petzl.

I rotate from one model to the other each night just for fun.

I am still trying to walk as many nights as possible and I am hooked on these things.

I've started wearing one pointing frontwards and one pointing backwards just in case someone tries to sneak up on me one of these dark nights............. :eek:

Just kidding...........they are awsome and amazing........this LED stuff is pretty exciting to an old timer (52) like me. :p

Robbie Roberson. ;)

Beo
02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Headlamp shemdlamp just use a torch or no lite at all :D

trooper
02-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Those are pretty cool just look dorky, but pops your a dork so you should get one... lol... and when the torch burns your hand or goes out and walk into a tree I'm gonna laugh.

Rick
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
There's something about this kid I really, really like.

Beo
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Smart azz.

Sam
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Those are pretty cool just look dorky, but pops your a dork so you should get one... lol... and when the torch burns your hand or goes out and walk into a tree I'm gonna laugh.

And so it begins.:rolleyes:

josh nesbit
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
i own several my new ones are the zipka and the e light i own about 5

Rick
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Josh and Robbie both have far too many headlights. I'm still waiting for that spare one to arrive in the mail, Robbie. Jost, just go ahead and send one. I'll hang on to it for you.:rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson
03-02-2008, 02:42 AM
OOPS..........:o I'm sorry to say I done it again.........I got another one.

I could not help myself. I went to Bass pro shop and looked at the Princeton tec EOS and just had to have it too. :o

What an amazing light.........using 3 AAAs, it is a power regulated beam on high that will knock your socks off.......and medium and low is amazing.

You guys just have to go look at some of these Princeton tecs and see for yourselves.

If you want to, do a search for "Trailspace EOS reviews" and you will see this is an awsome light.

Robbie Roberson.;)

josh nesbit
03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Josh and Robbie both have far too many headlights. I'm still waiting for that spare one to arrive in the mail, Robbie. Jost, just go ahead and send one. I'll hang on to it for you.:rolleyes:

Yeh i know i have to many but like at christmas i got 3 and i didnt even ask for them

mbarnatl
03-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I am planning on buying a Petzl Tikka Plus soon. The cheapest I have found one is for $34.95. Has anyone found them cheaper?

crashdive123
03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Here’s one for $32.95
http://www.schnees.com/catalog/brands/petzel-head-lamps/p_pz-e27.html

Here’s one for $31.95
http://www.gearapalooza.com/product/26259/petzl-tikka-plus-headlamp.html

Here’s one for $34.00
http://www.basegear.com/petzltikkaplus.html

I did not check shipping costs on any of these. Amazon has them for the same price that you have found, but qualify for free shipping.

Robbie Roberson
03-02-2008, 07:53 PM
The Petzl Tikka plus is a great headlamp. The only thing I did not like about it is the battery next to the hinge where the unit closes is a little hard to get in and close without the battery popping out.

I tried two separate units and both did the same. (this is mentioned in a few reviews)

However, it works perfect once you get the batteries in and the unit closed because you should not have to open it for a long time. There are very small tabs that have to tuck inside casing just right when closing for it to close right, pay attention to this delicate (I think) operation and you will have no problems.

The Tikki Plus is bright, but I could not tell any difference between it (35 lumins) and my PT quad (21) lumins.

I also like the fact the PT quad is regulated, has a low battery life diode light and also can lithium batteries or regular.

Petzl does not do any of these things..........I also like the switch on the PT better.....it's just easier to turn off and on.

You really can't go wrong with either brand.

Robbie Roberson.

Beo
03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
With all those headlamps you probably look like some off raod truck rolling thru the forest:D

Sam
03-05-2008, 12:01 AM
One good use for head lamps is doing stuff in the dark, much better than between muzzle flashes. Blam, look for lugnut, Blam screw it on. etc. :D

crashdive123
03-05-2008, 12:24 AM
and.......holding that mini mag in your teeth gives the poly grip too much of a work out.

Beo
03-05-2008, 04:35 PM
One good shot about a foot down from the center of those headlights and your done, three inches down and ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssplat!

crashdive123
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
One good shot about a foot down from the center of those headlights and your done, three inches down and ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssplat!

Careful Beo. Ya don't want to start sounding like one of the shootin happy youngins.:D:D:eek::eek:

Robbie Roberson
03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Well.........my poly grip ain't given out cause I got caps :D

I stepped in a big hole tonight and turned my ankle because my new PT was not turned down towards the ground enough........scared the crap out of me and my cat when I sceamed out. :eek:

Yes, my cat always follows me and he (she) is funny to watch because of the glowing eyes showing up so well.........:D sometimes I say phhhisstttt real quick and it jumps straight up in the air and back down in the same tracks and just keeps walkin like nothing happened. :D

I love my head lamps.

Robbie Roberson.

crashdive123
03-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Hope your ankle's O.K. Robbie.

Robbie Roberson
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
It's not sprained thank goodness, just a good turn and painful for a moment. That is the dangers I guess of walking at night........my head lamp was shining way ahead and that was not smart.

I walk past a very old cemetary way back in the woods and to be honest, I am walking pretty fast when I go by......... :o

Thats when I stepped in a hole......not watching my step.

Robbie Roberson.

Beo
03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Hope your leg heals well.
I know crash, first i'd ask: Who the he11 is that?
Followed quickly by blam blam balm!!! :D

nell67
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Hope your ankle is better soon Robbie

trax
03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey Robbie... you were walking past a cemetery? How big was the hole you stepped in? Get better, bud.

Robbie Roberson
03-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the well wishes..........My ankle is sore today but ok.

Trax, not that big of a hole ! :eek:

LOL !

Robbie Roberson. ;)

nell67
03-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Soo glad you cleared that up Robbie,because I thought the same thing Trax did:eek:

crashdive123
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Hope your leg heals well.
I know crash, first i'd ask: Who the he11 is that?
Followed quickly by blam blam balm!!! :D

Oh...OK. As long as you're asking first.

Robbie Roberson
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Update: Wish I had done a proper review on these headlamps from the beginning.:o

My ankle is much better so the night walks continue and I even got another head lamp.

So here is the ones I have finally narrowed it down to.

1. Princeton tec Quad
2. Princeton tec Fuel

I returned the EOS Princeton tec to Bass pro the other day for good reason, and swapped it for my now #2 favorite.......the FUEL.

The EOS was an awsome, very potent strong light. It would be perfect for search and rescue or jobs where a narrow strong, long distance beams of light were needed...........it even has medium and low.

My problem with it was the beam does not seem to shine down much unless you turn the lamp itself down towards the ground. This is what caused me to step in that hole.......I could see very well out in front, but not too well up close.

I think in some of the reviews on the Princeton tec EOS it says it would be nice if it had a diffuser for the lense.........I agree.

The New Fuel I got is a 4 function very nice headlamp. Almost as bright as my Quad, but operates and functions (4) the same.

I've used my Fuel the last two nights and it honestly lights up the path and woods almost as good as the Quad.

I am going to include a link this time to the EOS so you can see what I mean about the narrow beam. You could also look at the Quad I have just for reference.

If this link is not permitted can a mod please remove it, I am not advertising these........just trying to find the ones I like. :D

So for now, I've found the ones I need..........

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=5&type=1&use=0

Robbie Roberson.;)

P.S. I forgot to add that I also returned the Petzl tikki plus.........sadly because I really liked it almost as much as my Princeton tecs but the battery box worried me because it would not hold one of the batteries in very well and I tried two different models........once you got it in it worked perfectly.

crashdive123
03-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Glad the ankles better. Hey, sharing info about gear is a good thing. Thanks for the link.

Robbie Roberson
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Your welcome.

I have found tons of uses for these headlamps inside the house.........so helpful to do things hands free.....these are well worth the $ I think.

And the AAA batteries are still going strong.

Below is another little light I found...(I bought 10):o.......these are amazing little helpers.

Not a headlamp but sure is handy to attach to belt, packs etc.

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?A=&range=181&Brand=49&Mode=Brand&SKU=G80030

This thing will easily shine 30 feet.......on one AAA and mine is going strong after 2 weeks of use every night for short burst of light when you need to see for a second or two.

Robbie Roberson.

Robbie Roberson
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
A quick update on my Quad after several months of service. It is an awsome light. Comfort is amazing, light output is wonderful.

The sad news is mine developed a crack in the upper lense and frame......:(

I had mine hanging in my utility room and used it often. I had to use it the other day and noticed it had developed a small crack.

This crack was not from bumping or hitting the light on anything because I would have obviously know had it hit something.

It was at the top of light, and not caused from heat because it does not get hot.

The thing that puzzled me is it was in both the upper frame and it then traveled downward to the lense about a quarter inch down.

I think it was a stress crack from the lense being bent or something like that since it also cracked the frame.

These two part are separate.....so it had to be constant pressure from the lense that went to the frame.

I took it back to bass pro shop and they gave me a new one. I will try this light for a few months and see what happens.

The crack did not change my opinion about the light.

But it would be a problem because of rain or long term use if it cracks again.

Now I am interested to see if anyone else had this problem.

Found this after writing, (SCROLL DOWN ) http://www.trailspace.com/gear/princeton-tec/apex-pro/

Robbie

crashdive123
07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the review. Have you contacted the company to see what ther're doing about the cracking problem?

Robbie Roberson
07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
No I have not yet. I plan to send an email.........I'm sure they are aware of it and it's a shame because this is such a good lamp.

I plan to just keep using mine and swapping them if they crack until they correct the problem. :D

Robbie

Gray Wolf
07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
The Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp is great, even for trekking at night on trails. And extremely light weight.

Sourdough
11-24-2008, 01:21 AM
OK ..this thread is 8 months old, anything newer and gooder on the market. I be needing to buy one for Christmas for someone very special.:D:):D

DOGMAN
11-24-2008, 01:31 AM
I have a Princeton Tec Yukon HL Hybrid that I like a lot. I wear it every night doing kennel chores, and regularly while running my team at night, and it rocks. It is really bright on its bright setting, and casts out a good beam, that reaches out all the way to the front of a 16 dog team (approx 68 feet) And then on its lower power beam it gives great light for up close and personal light. Plus the batteries last a really long time in them. I highly recommend them. I paid $59.00 for it, and it was worth every cent

crashdive123
11-24-2008, 07:35 AM
The one that I use the most is the Princeton Fuel. Three power settings. High is pretty bright, low the battery lasts for about 160 hours. The brightest one I have is from Streamlight - very, very bright - poor battery life.

Badawg
11-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I have had and lost many headlamps. I have had the petzl Tikka, and lost it. My current favorite is the e+light. It is extremely light which is nice if you have it strapped to your head for 5 hours. The band is only 1/4" wide and not at all binding. It uses 2 CR2032 coin batteries and they last a LOOOONG time. What I like most about it, besides the weight and size is that it's on a ball swivel mount so you can adjust it up down and sideways, the strap is removable and it has a built in spring clamp to hook it to things like a hat brim, a flap on your tent, whatever... When I sleep out doors, I take it off my head/hat, stick it around my wrist and pull the little detent nice and tight. It's been to burning man twice, spent a week in salt water, and a week in hot calcite springs every day. A bunch of trips in the desert, with never a problem. It's not as bright as many, but for many things you really don't need bright. And when I do, I have a surefire...

Note how I have worn the name off...

Rick
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
"Hey, cool. Where'd you get the light?"
"Badawg."
"Really? He just give it to you?"
"Naw, he has a tendency to loose stuff so I just follow him around."
"Sweet."

On the serious side (yeah, right. Like I have one of those) Petzl makes some really good stuff.

Badawg
11-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I also have an Energizer with a 1 or 2 watt led in it. It's incredibly bright and uses 3 AA batteries. it was bought for riding the bike. Works very well, but also makes the head hurt. I miss that Tikka, it was a very good light. Only thing it missed was a red lamp. The e+ has that.

crashdive123
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Survival Products