PDA

View Full Version : I retired the barrel stove

randyt
11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I decided to retire the barrel stove and upgrade. Earlier this summer the family and myself were at a old engine show. It's call the Buckley old engine show. The show has buildings with various happenings. One such place is the blacksmith shop. I went in to check things out. Over in the corner there is a old cast iron stove. I thought gosh that's a cool old stove, then it dawned on me that somewhere behind the barn in the weeds was my granddads old stove.

I bought my grandparents place years ago and when my dad cleaned some things up he took grandpa's shop stove and put it down back.
After I got back from the show I went to search for the stove, I found it all except for one piece. I looked and looked with no luck. In the mean time I decided the brush was growing up and needed to be thinned out. It would be a good opportunity to find the missing stove piece to. I went to brushing and wham hit the piece with the saw. I was happy I found it.

I started to assemble and re-cement the old stove. This will be nice to fire up gramps stove again, lots of memories there.

Here's a photo of the old stove patched up and burning. It don't look like much but it is cast iron. With a little paint it'll pretty it up and it'll be just fine.

thanks for looking

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/025-2.jpg

BENESSE
11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the stove!
Now, exactly what kind of paint would you use on it? I ask this, because I've just stripped the paint off the radiators in our apt. and am trying to figure out what to repaint them with that's safe (heat wise) and durable.

randyt
11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
thanks for the comment. I was going to use barbecue paint or stove black. For radiators any paint that can take 212 degrees ought to be fine. I don't know if your radiators are steam or hot water but either way most hot water systems operate at 180 degrees and steam is at 212 degrees. Steam can be hotter at higher pressures but I doubt it would be high pressure in a residence.

Rick
11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I love to see old items brought back to life. The fact that it was your grandfather's makes it all the more desirable. Thanks for giving us a look.

B - Both Eastwood and Krylon make paint specifically for radiators.

http://www.krylon.com/products/high_heat_radiator_paints/

Pal334
11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Shows you that quality can last forever. That is irreplacable

hunter63
11-05-2011, 05:17 PM
That is supper cool......I love those old stoves, and to bring it back to life...Priceless.
Thanks for posting.

I'm using my fathers box stove in the garage, have no idea how old it is, but getting pretty thin in a lot of spots......but still going.

crashdive123
11-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I love the stove. The fact that it holds so many memories for you is surely a bonus. I'm sure your Grandfather is smiling.

randyt
11-05-2011, 06:01 PM
thanks for the comments, I've been feeling nostalgic of late and have several projects in the hopper. All which in some form or another are related to my grandfather and father.

Winnie
11-05-2011, 11:32 PM
A thing of such distinction would look good blacked up with Graphite paste (Iron paste) rather than paint, it needs to keep it character.

randyt
11-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Winnie, I was thinking the same. Commercially stove black is available but I have several containers of graphite that I could mix up a batch.

birdman6660
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
very neat lookin old stove .. I love that kinda stuff ..i have one from our old school house here in Byng Inlet, Ontario and its an old pot belly stove ! It has no personal attachment and I can't believe that no locals would want it as they were the ones that kept warm beside it going to school 50 yrs ago ! but Hey .. it was given to me and i love it ... its called " WARM MORNINGS " anyone know who the manufacturer might have been ?

randyt
11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
interesting Birdman. warm morning was a stove company that was bought out by Locke stove works. I'm not sure if there is a connection to your stove.
I have a warm morning coal stove. Don't have it hooked up but thought about it a time or two. The firebox is for coal and not wood. I like a good large chunks of wood.

randyt
12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Winnie had a great idea to use stove black so that's what I did.
Here's the latest, it needs a little touch up though.
sure does look different.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/019-2.jpg

crashdive123
12-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Looks great!

mouse111111
12-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Looks nice Randy.

Beans
12-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Good job. American pickers will be knocking on your door for that one.

Sparky93
12-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice job!!

Winnie
12-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Once you've given it another layer or two of polish it'll be good as new and a real eyecatcher! Great job. I just love seeing old timers get a second chance.

1stimestar
12-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Oh man, what a sweet stove. Wish I had one.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Winnie had a great idea to use stove black so that's what I did.
Here's the latest, it needs a little touch up though.
sure does look different.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/019-2.jpg

What is the product you used, never heard of it? Might do a nice job on my vertical smoker I have been working on.

randyt
12-04-2011, 08:08 AM
thanks for the comments.

stove polish is basically graphite and oil as far as I know. I bought mine from the hardware. I'll check on a brand name.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-04-2011, 09:25 AM
thanks for the comments.

stove polish is basically graphite and oil as far as I know. I bought mine from the hardware. I'll check on a brand name.

Thanks randy, sounds like it might do good protecting my smaker from rusting.Things rust in the swamp.

kyratshooter
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
My G-GM used to polish her kitchen cook stove with

!!!BACON GREASE!!!

kept it shining bright and smelled fantastic!

crashdive123
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
My G-GM used to polish her kitchen cook stove with

!!!BACON GREASE!!!

kept it shining bright and smelled fantastic!

What a great Idea. Gotta try that on my car.

hunter63
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Y'all are making me feel bad, old box stove in the garage, kinda rusty.....hummmmm.
Nice job Randyt.....

oldtrap59
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Looking good there randyt. When we moved out here last year I found two old wood stoves pushed back in the corner of one of the sheds. One a box stove and the other a potbellied thing. Both are in need of cleanup. Will be looking forward to you posting the name of the stove polish you used. I.m using the box stove in my woodshop. Works great but could use some sprucing up.

Oldtrap

randyt
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry bout that I forgot to come back and post the name of the stove black I used. It's raven black made by meeco mfg. A google search brought it up.

woodsman86
01-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Looking good, what a great piece to bring back to life.