PDA

View Full Version : Simple Ideas To Throw In Your Car Kit

MCBushbaby
02-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Instant-Warm Coffee (saw at display in Wal-Mart)
- Uses Lye in a separate compartment under the pop-can-like coffee container. Activate the Lye via a separate pull tab and in a minute you have hot coffee! Similar idea to the hot meal MREs. I don't know if the container will rupture if frozen so don't throw it in your winter car kit :P

Hot-Hands2 (or any other "do something to activate reaction" warmer)
- A couple packs of those "expose to air and mix" hand warmers go a long way. I used one when I woke up during last week's winter primitive camping trip just to get the blood temp back to 98. Even if your hands are fine, put one on the back on your neck or behind your knee and you'll be warm in a half hour. The Hot-Hands2 packs I had last for 10 hours (mine lasted for 9 hours in sub-freezing weather, so don't underestimate them).

Simple flashing light
- Most multi-use portable car lights come with a variety of settings including "torch" (flashlight), "florescent" (a different set of bulbs, usually long and, well, florescent) and "flashing" (yellow light that flashes). Even a simple penlight that flashes yellow or red is helpful. In a blizzard, imagine having to pull over to the side of the road cause of any number of reasons. After a couple minutes your car looks like a big snowbank. Stick a flasher on top or a big rig will eat you.

List continues as member's come up with other simple ideas.

Rick
02-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Instant coffee? Hmmm. might be good with cheeseburger in a can.

Hot hands. Definately

Blinking light. I have a photon light that you can set to blink at three different speeds. It even can be set to blink morse code.

Sam
02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
For marking lights I like Niteize lights, they are reflective as well. I clip one on my coat when I am walking at night.

Rick
02-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Instant Warm Coffee - Here you go. The safety sheet doesn't say anything about not letting the product freeze.

http://www.ontech.com/new/index.html

According to the can label it contains 1293 milliliters = 43.7215312 US fluid ounces.

FVR
02-08-2008, 11:49 PM
How about some superglue, good for sealing minor cuts. Good for sealing big cuts even.

Rick
02-08-2008, 11:56 PM
You and your avatars.....

If you are going to carry super glue then make sure it is medical super glue. Most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. It can irritate the skin and create heat during polymerization.

FVR
02-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I just keep rebooting.

Sam
02-09-2008, 05:31 AM
I just keep rebooting.

I been to Boot once, that was plenty for me. ;)

Last Mohican
02-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Electric tape.

Makes a great waterproof band-aid.

I have used it to repair a radiator hose that busted while going down a back country road. I split an empty soda can, wrapped it around the tear in the hose, wrapped it several times w/ e-tape, then filled the radiator w/ water from one of the jugs I keep in the truck for emergencies. Actually held up for 6 months before it started leaking again.

Vehicle electrical repair. (duh)

Tape jaws of a snapping turtle shut. I have actually done this. I usually see these tasty critters when I am driving. Just tape their mouth shut to deem them harmless, throw them in the back, and if they are large enough, take them to the fish market for some extra cash or cook them up at home.

Rick
02-09-2008, 08:19 AM
GASP! Duct tape! We only mention duct tape. You can call it 100 mph tape if you like but never mention, you know, that stuff again. I've seen snapping turtles just close their mouth when they see the duct tape. They know. It's instinct.

Last Mohican
02-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Rick, Now I can't stop laughing.

dilligaf2u2
02-10-2008, 12:18 AM
A candle in a can, a couple ER bars, a couple cans of gas anti-freeze (I can use as fuel for the Alcohol stove), Duct tape, electoral tape, 20 foot of mechanics wire, a palight (flashlight), a bic lighter, a wool blanket, a stocking cap and gloves, are kept in my truck, at all times.

MDW(My Dear Wife) has a 72 hour kit in a can in the trunk of her car. An extra ER bar, a candle in a can, a palight and a bic lighter too.

We do not leave town without our BOB's. These are set up as another 72 hour kit.

Don

Rick
02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, American Marketing know how is something to be reckoned with. I contacted the company that produces Instant-Warm Coffee (see post #1 above) and asked them if the product would freeze. Yep, it sure will. In fact, they don't recommend using it below 50F because is doesn't work as well. Hey, call me crazy but if it's a nippy 32F isn't that the very time I WANT a hot cup of chemically heated artificially preserved java?

RobertRogers
02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Electric tape.

Makes a great waterproof band-aid.

I have used it to repair a radiator hose that busted while going down a back country road. I split an empty soda can, wrapped it around the tear in the hose, wrapped it several times w/ e-tape, then filled the radiator w/ water from one of the jugs I keep in the truck for emergencies. Actually held up for 6 months before it started leaking again.

Vehicle electrical repair. (duh)

Tape jaws of a snapping turtle shut. I have actually done this. I usually see these tasty critters when I am driving. Just tape their mouth shut to deem them harmless, throw them in the back, and if they are large enough, take them to the fish market for some extra cash or cook them up at home.

What's a good sized snapper going for these days?

Rick
02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Do you want the walk behind mower or the rider?

crashdive123
02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Pretty good Rick - Torro! Torro! I mean er - Bravo.

Rick
02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Thank you crash. Pretty and good are nice compliments. (Handsome would have been a bit more masculine, though).

coldkill13
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Electric tape.

Got any good turtle recipes you might want to share? I've got my eye on a few big ones in a pond at the end of the road but i dont know how to cook them. My dad said hes done it before and its a lot of work for a little meat and it either turns out really good or really awful, so I want to make sure I do it right.