PDA

View Full Version : Howdy all and glad to be here

mesat222
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Greetings to all! I am happy I finally found a forum with people of like mind.
I am an avid fly fisherman, love being semi-lost (always knowing which direction home is though) in the woods, and have a wife and step-daughter that are BIG city through and through. So it is always in my path to teach them the importance of knowing how to survive and actually survive happily if ever confronted with having to "leave" the city. . . ie natural disaster, the fan being hit by the proverbial doo, the city just loses it's flavor..... Ya'll know what I mean.

anyone feel free to message me and give me tips on how to teach a ten year old anything and everything. Advice is always welcome and she is a wonderful girl.

May thanks,
Mesa

mesat222
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh yeah, I'm from Seattle, wa. but grew up in the small logging towns and mountains of Oregon.

trooper
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi, welcome to the group I'm new too.

nell67
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum

Rick
02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome home. Let's see. Advice for a 10 year old. Nope. It doesn't exist in our universe and it only gets worse. Great part of the country you're in. We have several from that part of the woods. Welcome aboard.

trax
02-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome aboard, if Rick doesn't have advice for a 10 year old ..no one does

bawana
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
lol...Hi Mesa, welcome I'm also new. If you're wanting to get her interested in survival, teach her to bum surf. lol We are always out in the bush, hills etc. When the kids were small we wanted to make sure they could get themselves out of a bind if they got in one. Because we cross rivers all the time ...that was one major part to teach. The rivers we play in can be fairl deep and swift.......lol so bum surfing came into play. All kids like to swim and muck around in the water. We wanted to be sure IF they went down while in the river, not to panic and how to get to safety.
You find a part of the river that is 2 to 3 feet deep.... your wife stand up river where you daughter goes in and you be down river where she comes out. She lays in the water, your wife holds her shoulders, Make sure she keeps her butt up (so she doesn't hit to many rocks lol) arms level at her sides. When you're all ready your wife lets her go. She'll come right to you and you help her out and show her how to turn and get up from the current. The kids all have a blast as well as us older one's and it teaches them how the water works and what to do. The more they do it , the more they relax and then start to explore different things they can do in the water.
It works very well.

crashdive123
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Hello and welcome.

pgvoutdoors
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Welcome Aboard and Tight Lines!