PDA

View Full Version : its alive

wareagle69
10-16-2011, 08:38 AM
i have had a few bags of batter in the freezer for well over a year now, the starter if for a friendship bread, quick bread, but i was reading somewhere that the starter for such bread is basically a sourdough starter, i read so much hard to remember which book i read it in but will try to find for a reference. so anyways i pulled out the starter and took one cup out and added one cup each,sugar milk,flour, and brought downstairs by the wood stove, the starter is in an freezer bag and two days later the bag is puffed up which means shes a fermenting, now instead of using for the quick bread recipe i am going to try it for sourdough bread, if this works i will now have more than enough starter

Rick
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeast is a living one celled organism and freezing it will kill some of them. You generally wind up having to use more yeast after it has been frozen than you would have if it is fresh because some dies. Not all, some. The fact that you are getting CO2 off the yeast is a good test that's it's growing. Just don't let it get too hot next to the stove because heat can kill it, too. You should get that familiar yeast smell once you open the bag. It essence, you proofed the yeast.