PDA

View Full Version : Books

WildGoth
02-07-2008, 03:26 AM
has anyone considered to put books into your bug out bag or survival kit i mean WSHTF i would assume the books would be important because that way people will know what happened before WSHTF

Beo
02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I keep the Tom Brown Jr. series in a ziplock bag in the bottom of my backpack, there always there as a "just in case" or if a SHTF situation comes up and I gotta use the pack.

Rick
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
What do you think will happen to all the books? Where will they go?

Sam
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I think most people will forget about libraries, and concentrate on the important stuff like,
liquor stores and pharmacies. ;)

Sam
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I have small collection of how to books, and every two years I get a new copy of how things work. It's like a kids explanation on stuff. Exploded diagrams and simple theory behind
things like engines and cell phones etc. Good stuff. (don't tell the other Marines I own books, they'll laugh at me) ;)

Gray Wolf
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I always carry at least one book with me when I trek, I've lately been switching back and forth between Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell, and Ashley Book of Knots (a great book to keep your mind occupied). Bringing a book that you can learn from or one that can help you, IMHO, is a necessity, part of the psychology of survival....

Sam that sounds like an interesting book, who's the author?

Rick
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
So they forget about them. They'll still be there right? Am I missing something? The question implies the end of the world or something.

people will know what happened before WSHTF

Not what do you take with you for an outing. So where are the books going? That's what I don't understand. Care to elaborate WildGoth?

Gray Wolf
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Your right Rick, I misread the question. There's the 60's catching up to me again... :confused:

crashdive123
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
has anyone considered to put books into your bug out bag or survival kit i mean WSHTF i would assume the books would be important because that way people will know what happened before WSHTF

Nah! Future generations will just have to rely on me to pass along the spoken word. (shakes his head and wakes up) Maybe I should carry one.

Rick
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
In the beginning there was beer and whiskey. Two tribes that did not get along so man was born to make peace between beer and whiskey. The leader of the beer, Dances with Fire Ants, thought whiskey wanted to rule the world. The leader of whiskey, Scratches with Fleas, thought beer wanted to rule the world. Man proved to both elders that they could work together, in peace and harmony, and the boilermaker was born.

Who needs books?

Gray Wolf
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
And what did wine say about that?

Rick
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, Gray Wolf. You are just toooooo easy. They sat in the corner and wined, what else?

WildGoth
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
i mean like if it was a nuke attack or nautral disater

Rick
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay. Then wouldn't books survive in another library? Katrina hit the big fish bowl and everything was destroyed. But books remained in all the other regions of the country. See my point?

Kemperor
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Bring them with you? If you have room. A better idea, to me at least, would be to read and study them as much as possible and embed as much of the info into your brain as possible. I couldn't possibly bring mine, there's too many. Here's a list of my books on survival related issues.
A Complete Handbook of Nature Cures
The Knife Fighting Manual
US Navy Seal Physical Fitness Guide
Herbal Medicine Formulas and Recipes
Underworld Survival Guide
Edible and Medicinal Plants
Knife Throwing Techniques
US Marines Field Guide
US Military Manual - Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook
US Army Survival Manual FM-21-76
US Navy Seal Patrol Leader's Handbook
Camper's Cookbook
Survival Bible
And a few others that I will not tell you about. ;) If I were to bring all of those with me, I wouldn't have enough room for anything else. I guess bringing a few of them wouldn't hurt.

Rick
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
No. no. no! If all the books are gone just make stuff up. How's anyone gonna prove you wrong?

In the beginning there was Rick..........

Tony uk
02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
No. no. no! If all the books are gone just make stuff up. How's anyone gonna prove you wrong?

In the beginning there was Rick..........

............. Who was the servent of Tony

crashdive123
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
........and created by crashdive.

Tony uk
02-08-2008, 08:05 PM
........and created by crashdive.

And was ruled by Chuck Noris

Many people beleved that God was the first ever thing, However recent studies have shown that the word God is mearly the nickname given to Chuck Noris in his early years and so began religion........

crashdive123
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Hard to argue with Chuck.

Rick
02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
First liar doesn't stand a chance.........

Gray Wolf
02-09-2008, 03:31 AM
So the serpent really didn't offer Rick an apple, it was a Twinkie! And so it began.... :D

Rick
02-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Serpent? So that's was that was. (burp)

Tony uk
02-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Serpent? So that's was that was. (burp)

AHHHHHHH YOU EATING ME GRANDMOTHER :eek:

Imma Comming Gran *Jumps Down Ricks Throat*

nell67
02-09-2008, 08:33 AM
AHHHHHHH YOU EATING ME GRANDMOTHER :eek:

Imma Comming Gran *Jumps Down Ricks Throat*
Tony,there is only one way out from there,good luck,(or,it's been nice knowin ya),LOL!

Tony uk
02-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Tony,there is only one way out from there,good luck,(or,it's been nice knowin ya),LOL!

*Gets Out*

Fewwwwwwwwwwwww That was an adventure, a maize of twinkies and some other stuff i'll tell you all about aftrer my therapy, I feel i have forgotten something but cant put my finger on it

Well im off to have a shower (Or 5) :)

marberry
02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
i used to have a copy of paul tawrells , camping and wilderness survival in by bug out bag , but i have the thing memorized by now so there isnt much point.

mbarnatl
02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
In my survival kit I have the pocket "SAS Survival Guide" by John Wiseman and in my Bug out Bag I have "Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book" by Paul Tawrell. My vehicle kit has a repair manual for the vehicle. Also in my Bug out Bag has a "WILD CARDSŪ EDIBLE WILD FOODS SURVIVAL CARD DECK" and a "SURVIVAL CARD DECK".

Lately, I have replaced the pocket "SAS Survival Guide" in my survival kit with the two card decks from my Bug out Bag. I have been learning edible wild plants and the card deck is lighter than the field guide.

dilligaf2u2
02-25-2008, 05:33 AM
I have a Bible in my BOB and back pack.

I carry a book I put together, I like to call The Art of Eating Well Off Road Kill or The Neighbors Family's Pet. It shows all the choice cuts of Fluffy or Benjie and how to prepare them. By Breed! I also has a section in it on rodents, snakes, rabbits and skunks.

If TSHTF I am going to be too busy to worry about carrying a lot of dead weight. If I do not know it by now! It is too late!

Don