PDA

View Full Version : YCC would cringe!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I'll be bush Hawging my place for the second time in 2 years, some of you saw the first time. I gotta say it is a joy riding the '50 something Ferguson.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3814.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3816.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3818.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3820.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3832.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3825.jpg

She didn't want to ride at first but came running when she heard the ole' tractor.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3830.jpg

The new fence along 600ft. of road front.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3823.jpg

Winter
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
That's an old tractor CS.

Sparky93
10-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Looks like you got a ways to go on the new fence.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
That's an old tractor CS.

It "bump" starts and runs like a sewing machine! I tried to buy it for 3k and couldn't get it, but I get to borrow it as needed. Maybe I should try 4k!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Looks like you got a ways to go on the new fence.

Yeah! 60 posts 3 ft. deep...I will have dug 180 ft. with a shovel when I am done....

Rick
10-05-2011, 09:28 PM
You know, they make post hole diggers and you could even rent one that goes varooooooom.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 09:34 PM
You know, they make post hole diggers and you could even rent one that goes varooooooom.

First...have you shopped for post hole digger's recently? I'd be better off digging with a spoon. Yes, my grandpa's post hole diggers would make quick work of it. Second, I am the 1% of America that isn't shy of hard work. I enjoy it. Coming soon to a post near you...."Cowboy digs a pond with a shovel"

Rick
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I replaced all of my back fence two years ago using my grandfather's post hole digger so I don't mind doing the work either. I even installed a small section of fencing for my neighbor out of the better ones I replaced from mine. All of that was in a tree line and I had to use a frost bar to cut out roots. It was a pain in the shoulders that's for sure.

I love old tractors. We have an antique tractor section at the State Fair every year that goes back to steam tractors. They generally run a saw mill and thresh some grain using the steam tractors. I could hang around there all day watching them.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I replaced all of my back fence two years ago using my grandfather's post hole digger so I don't mind doing the work either. I even installed a small section of fencing for my neighbor out of the better ones I replaced from mine. All of that was in a tree line and I had to use a frost bar to cut out roots. It was a pain in the shoulders that's for sure.

I love old tractors. We have an antique tractor section at the State Fair every year that goes back to steam tractors. They generally run a saw mill and thresh some grain using the steam tractors. I could hang around there all day watching them.

Key words " Grandpa's post hole diggers" Grandpa's were cast and had hickory poles, a fair amount of weight to them." What I can buy wouldn't beat a shovel by any means. On another note I live in the swamp...I hit water at 2.5', two years ago, putting up my 2 acre pasture w/ a shovel. Probably easier digging than Indiana. I have no doubt...you aren't afraid to do the work!

Rick
10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
The side fences were pretty easy peasy. Not many roots to worry about with them. The back fence was a killer though with the roots. The water table around here is pretty shallow as well. Two feet will draw water. My neighbor across the street has to run a sump pump in their crawl space! Fortunately, I don't have that problem. I think he may be on top of a weep.

I purchased a post hole digger a few years back and after using a few minutes took it back. If I remember correctly you couldn't bring the face of the blades together to hold dirt to pull it out of the hole.

We had a crumb shovel on the truck. That's a pretty handy tool for fence posts. It's a long handled shovel and the face is bent at a 90 degree angle. You can drop it in the hole and pick out the crumbs with the bent face.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
The side fences were pretty easy peasy. Not many roots to worry about with them. The back fence was a killer though with the roots. The water table around here is pretty shallow as well. Two feet will draw water. My neighbor across the street has to run a sump pump in their crawl space! Fortunately, I don't have that problem. I think he may be on top of a weep.

I purchased a post hole digger a few years back and after using a few minutes took it back. If I remember correctly you couldn't bring the face of the blades together to hold dirt to pull it out of the hole.

We had a crumb shovel on the truck. That's a pretty handy tool for fence posts. It's a long handled shovel and the face is bent at a 90 degree angle. You can drop it in the hole and pick out the crumbs with the bent face.

We are once again in drought status. Been a trend for the lat 4 yrs. It will be interesting to see what happens when we return to our "norm" . Did you set your post in concrete? I didn't, I used tamped down dirt...did the same with the horse pasture and haven't touched a post since.

I guess you get pretty good witha plain old spade if you keep running fence long enough. All of them are buried 2.5- 3ft.

your_comforting_company
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
My bees would love all that goldenrod! Oh the humanity!

I am a sucker for an old tractor tho. Glad you had fun and got some work done on the place. Looks civilized hehe!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 10:13 PM
My bees would love all that goldenrod! Oh the humanity!

I am a sucker for an old tractor tho. Glad you had fun and got some work done on the place. Looks civilized hehe!

Yeah, this place grows like a weed...Outta 8 acres 3 will be left untouched for as long as I am living!

Rick
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't use concrete on fencing. Tapped dirt is all I use. I spent about a day once digging out a gate post that had a mountain poured around it. I swore I'd never use concrete on a post ever. I'll bury a dead man but I won't pour concrete. That post will rot some day and you'll have to replace it.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't use concrete on fencing. Tapped dirt is all I use. I spent about a day once digging out a gate post that had a mountain poured around it. I swore I'd never use concrete on a post ever. I'll bury a dead man but I won't pour concrete. That post will rot some day and you'll have to replace it.

For gates and corner posts, I use an anchor system. I'll post it when I hang the gate.

Sparky93
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
We do the same thing Rick, three feet down and tamped full of dirt. The only problem is 9 times out of 10 you hit rock at about 1 and a half feet, so then you break out the dynamite chisel my dad got from a guy and slowly chip the rock away until you go through the rock or you get the hole to depth (if we had dynamite the chisel may be used slightly differentely). My dad has my great grandpa's post hole diggers, they are made a lot better than the ones you buy at rural king and they have 12 foot handles so you don't have to bend over while you are digging. For the corner posts we use railroad ties and for the main section of fence we use t-posts with a couple of railroad ties every so far side by side to keep the barbed wire tight. Dad just got done fencing in all 40 acres, now he is just on tree limb duty trying to keep it maintained.

I agree new post hole diggers are shiit,dad just broke one of the handles on his good set but replacement handles that size are freakin expensive. Although he will propably end up making his own replacement, hopefully not like he replaces the handles on hammers though. You always know what hammers are his because they no longer have the original wood or fiberglass handles, they have a piece of steel tubing welded onto the head. His answer is he will only have to replace the handle once, needless to say he is a little hard on things.

Rick
10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
My frostbar has a tamping head and a chisel head. The chisel head is great on moving those rocks or busting them up. If all else fails, prying them out.

Sparky93
10-06-2011, 12:57 AM
My frostbar has a tamping head and a chisel head. The chisel head is great on moving those rocks or busting them up. If all else fails, prying them out.

Prying them out could be a slight problem due to we are in coal mine country and all our ground is reclaimed strip mine. The piece of sandstone you are going through could be as big as a vw beetle.

pete lynch
10-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Set posts in concrete and they rot out a lot faster. Nowhere for the moisture to go.
We have an auger attachment for the Fergusen here at work. We're on the coastal plain so there are no big rocks to hit while drilling.
Just an occasional car fender or old plow share.

Winnie
10-06-2011, 07:18 AM
CS, how's the hollow place looking now? has there been any regeneration?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
CS, how's the hollow place looking now? has there been any regeneration?

I left it alone thus far, I have walked up the old white oak that fell it offers a nice view point. There is new growth along the top of the side of the trunk. The tree is still living. I will have to deal with the pine tree it had doubled over at some point it is now dead. I will get you some pics next time I am out and about.

hunter63
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Too bad you are so far away....happen to have a PTO driven post hole auger, set up for cat. 2--3point hitch.
My tractor has a cat. 1--3 point hitch....I can get it to fit but would have to replace the pins and turn them around.

Then I'm not sure is 30 HP would turn a 8' auger.

BScout
10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Too bad you are so far away....happen to have a PTO driven post hole auger
Same here. It's not used much but it's a life-saver when it is used. I have 9 & 12" augers.

That looks to be a TO 30 model tractor. I used to have it's smaller brother, the TO-20. I'm surprised you can't get it (or another) for $3k or less. The going rate around here is $2-3K, but rarely any more then that.

From the top link of the 3PH going back on the cutter, is that a strap or steel or ??? I'm used to using chain but can't tell what you're using.

hunter63
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
My tractor fix it guy, recommends replacing the top link with a chain for brush hogging as it puts less stress on the rest of the unit.
I can see my struts flexing on uneven ground, and actually broke one, I am considering a modification, not exactly sure how yet.

Old tractor pricing has gone back down slightly, around here lately....a Ford 8n was in the 3k range....10 years ago only $500 bucks......
I ended up buying a new one as I didn't want to putts with it,.... I need it to get stuff done....Best decision for this situation.

Yeah, and I love the bucket............

rebel
10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
here's a few in your area:http://columbia.craigslist.org/grd/2536839824.html
http://columbia.craigslist.org/grd/2635255783.html
http://columbia.craigslist.org/grd/2629246254.html

Winnie
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I left it alone thus far, I have walked up the old white oak that fell it offers a nice view point. There is new growth along the top of the side of the trunk. The tree is still living. I will have to deal with the pine tree it had doubled over at some point it is now dead. I will get you some pics next time I am out and about.

Pleased it's getting better! I look forward to the pics.
BTW, I have fond memories of old Massey Ferguson Tractors, I was that little girl sitting with her pop many years ago!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Rebel for the links, I'll get one sooner or later. I wanted this one so bad because I know it works!

Winnie, It is now my life making those memories! I ignored my leg when it went to sleep. The little rascal is 90lbs. now!

doneitall
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I grew up using an old (then) Farmall B, Farmall 450 and a couple of AC WDs. We used to use the ACs to pick corn using a mounted picker. Still have the B. All heart and not much Hp. Now use a new JD with bush hog and post hole digger but no homestead that I want to make permanent.

crashdive123
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I grew up using an old (then) Farmall B, Farmall 450 and a couple of AC WDs. We used to use the ACs to pick corn using a mounted picker. Still have the B. All heart and not much Hp. Now use a new JD with bush hog and post hole digger but no homestead that I want to make permanent.

You tied somebody to the tractor to pick corn?

Winnie
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
And what had mounted them?:innocent:

doneitall
10-19-2011, 06:46 AM
To clarify for the uninformed/young folk, the corn picker was a mechanical contraption (predecessor to the modern day combine) which was physically bolted to the Alis Chambers tractor. Took all day to install it and another day to take it off the tractor when the job was done. We did hire individuals, give them corn knives (machetes) and cut silage.