PDA

View Full Version : About "Survival" Equipment...

Sarge47
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Been reading up on these posts and wanted to go a different direction here. Right now one of our newer members is asking about a Back pack preference and we've been flooded with threads on knives, Survival kits, bragging on stupidity, etc. I'm going to post some thing similar in the "Survival Wiki" later but here's where I'm starting. If I could have one wish for this site it's that Chris would have new members 1st going to a "must-read" page before they come into the group, it'd read sorta like this:

welcome new Member. You are about to enter the domain of Wilderness Survival Forums and it's wild group who call them-selves the Wolf-Pack. Beware...they're not too tightly wrapped! Here you will find a wealth of information at your fingertips about Surviving almost anywhere and what you might want to get to aid you on your way. Forum ettiquet asks that your 1st post be done in the "Introduction" section. To find this, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Forum Jump". Look for the Forum titled "General Chat" and click on it, there you will find what you are looking for. Tell us your age, or at least an idea; the region you live in, and what experience you have in the outdoors, Survival, and so on.

Next, many new members are sorely tempted to post on certain topics over & over again. Here's a "condensed" version of the answers to those questions:

Dude! What's the best knife for Survival?:
Asking this question has been done many, many times with the same answers coming back. Everybody has their favorites for varied reasons, none of which will have much to do with you. In the end you'll probably go with what you saw & liked in the 1st place, but there are really only three things to consider at the outset. Quality, Cost, & Manufacture(full tang). Brand choice is given in the Sticky in the "Survival Info" section. Prepare to be blown away!

Dude! I just bought this knife; (posted pic)What da ya think?
Bad question, how are you going to feel about your purchase if everybody comes back on and says: "Yo Dude! That knife sucks dirt!" It's what's called a "loaded" question, and you may not like the feed back.

Yo Dude! What about this "Rambo" type knife!
Forget it! Most of us here think that knife is for suckers! Sly Stallone is raking in millions making flicks where he carries a "Survival Knife" big enough to hide a Humvee inside the handle and has a built in chain -saw opposite his blade.

Yo Dude! Check out my Survival kit...What-da ya think?
Well, if it meets all the criteria then it should be ok. Also:

Hey man, what do you all think should go into a Survival kit?
Well that's a "no-brainer", Survival stuff of course! Check out the Sticky on Survival kit info. And Finally:

Hi guys! Me and my Numpty buddy are going to go into the pit of Hell wearing nothing more than a diaper and only taking a toothbrush..Aren't we cool?
Ok, so I got carried away, but here's the thing, nobody here is going to encourage stupid acts done to get attention. WARNING! you really won't like the response you'll get.

FINAL WORD! Read the Sticky's!:cool:SARGE.

Beo
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I agree Sarge. Just have Chris clean up the language or you'll scare them off :D we wanna do that later on :D But if the guys an gals all post different likings then the newbie can pick, and if we don't revisit some of the same stuff eventually we'll have little to talk about, maybe.

Rick
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Sarge - I don't think vBulletin has that option. At least I've not run across it. It could certainly be sent in the verification page at sign up. Or a post could be placed as Number 1 at the top of the page with a title like: Attn: New Members Please Read.

Rick
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
We could also do with a sticky about administrators posting twice.:D

Sarge47
02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
But if the guys an gals all post different likings then the newbie can pick, and if we don't revisit some of the same stuff eventually we'll have little to talk about, maybe.

With guys like you, Rick, Trax, Nell, Wareagle, just to name a few you'll always find plenty to talk about.:D You two guys jumped in on the post I was re-writing and I didn't get it deleted in time, now I've got two again...Darn!:eek:

Rick
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Vultures just circle....waiting....and watching......and waiting......

Sarge47
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
...you just proved my point on always having plenty to talk about.:D I know, I know, the last bit regarding "Numptys" was a bit harsh, but I swear, the next fool that comes on trying to impress me and asks me what I think i'm gonna say: "What do I think? I think you're mother would have been better off giving birth to a rock!" Sorry guys, but stupidity really, really gripes me!:eek::cool:

CTracker
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I think it's a good idea. A must read prior to posting. Most communities have some sort of guidelines all probies are requested to read and adhere to. Just because these might be absent now don't mean we ain't got scruples.

Then when the next nimrod (i think that's the term) posts,
"Yo Dude, where can i buy a compass?"
'hay man, where ya been? did you try wally world?'

That way the Wolf Pack can openly hold them up for ridicule and scorn, berate them and politely suggest they use the "Search" function, if a response is given at all.

Rick
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
CT - 1. Have you read any of the posts. We ain't got scruples. We've got irony, sarcasm, humor (very little), deceit, impropriety, foul language, and grossology.

2 - We already hold people up to scorn and redicule (see 1.)
3 - We be rating people all the time. berate be rating. That's right isn't it?
4 - Just needed another number.

CTracker
02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
.... lmao :D

crashdive123
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
...you just proved my point on always having plenty to talk about.:D I know, I know, the last bit regarding "Numptys" was a bit harsh, but I swear, the next fool that comes on trying to impress me and asks me what I think i'm gonna say: "What do I think? I think you're mother would have been better off giving birth to a rock!" Sorry guys, but stupidity really, really gripes me!:eek::cool:

The world would be a better place if stupid was painful. Ouch!:eek:

Rick
02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Rick
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
You think I resemble that remark, too? Well, I never.........

crashdive123
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
:eek::eek:Double ouch!:eek::eek:

Sam
02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Rick you left out pervy. :)

Rick
02-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I didn't want to scare any visitors off but, yea, that too.

Beo
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I think it is a great Idea that you got there Sarge, I know we'll always have stuff to talk about ust too many great personalities here, and you are right about the "Numptys" who are new to survival and I know why some mothers eat their young young in the wild because of them, you were not too harsh being honest and I like that, it does get old with someone coming here trying to impress.

Beo
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
While we're on the subject I'm asking if we could get a sub-forum called something like "The Workbench" or "The Craftshop" a place to discuss things like making your own knife from files or forging them or saw blades like Kid does, or making things like bags, stoves, canteens, or other such items.
Beo,

pgvoutdoors
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Great idea, I believe it would provide a great deal of information as well as inspiration to advance our skills. I'm all for it!:D

Beo
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I asked Chris about it and made a poll of it in Site Forum and Feedbacks so please post answers to this sub-forum there, thank you.
Beo,

Gray Wolf
02-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Come on Wolf Pack members, there's always more to share and learn from each other. Please VOTE !!!

Here's the link.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1740

nell67
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
bumping this thread up,...... for obvious reasons.

Newbies,PLEASE read Sarges first post.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Thank you Nell, I'd wondered what happened to that. Lately we've been getting the "Numpty" crowd in again.:rolleyes:

LostOutrider
07-28-2008, 07:05 PM
. . . and we've been flooded with threads on knives, Survival kits, bragging on stupidity, etc. . . .

Yo Dude! Check out my Survival kit...What-da ya think?
Well, if it meets all the criteria then it should be ok. Also:

Well, you know, I guess I fell into that stoopid noob trap. Maybe lock the sticky if you guys have said all you feel needs to be said about it? An unlocked thread seems somewhat inviting to a new member looking to contribute. Lock it and put a tag on the end saying, "You No Post This, No More!" The ones that read it all the way through should get the hint. The ones that don't, well, will still do dumb posts.

Every 'net group has its veterans who set the culture, tone, and response to new members. You guys seem a pretty helpful bunch who actually want to educate. Giving a list of crash landings up front might help new members do more than circle the pack.

Rick
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
But we affectionately love "stoopid noobs". In fact, we like anyone crazy enough to do the insane things we do.:D

crashdive123
07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
LostOtrider - there was absolutely nothing wrong with your post in survival kits. I thought it was informative, appeared to be well thought out. I believe the comments that seem a bit harsh are aimed at posts like -Hey I just bought this 99 cent survival kit. What do you guys think? Or as we've seen in the last couple of days - Hi - I've got no wilderness experience and am planning on living in the bush for a year. What would you guys recommend.

Nothing wrong with rehashing old posts. There are always new viewers, and old ones that can learn something new.

Sarge47
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, you know, I guess I fell into that stoopid noob trap. Maybe lock the sticky if you guys have said all you feel needs to be said about it? An unlocked thread seems somewhat inviting to a new member looking to contribute. Lock it and put a tag on the end saying, "You No Post This, No More!" The ones that read it all the way through should get the hint. The ones that don't, well, will still do dumb posts.

Every 'net group has its veterans who set the culture, tone, and response to new members. You guys seem a pretty helpful bunch who actually want to educate. Giving a list of crash landings up front might help new members do more than circle the pack.
Welcome to the Wolf-Pack, BTW. Actually I wanted to have something like what you just mentioned, as I stated in the 1st post on this thread, but that doesn't seem to be happening here. The thing is that both the Survival Kit topic & the Survival Knife topic are usually posted wrong, or for the wrong reasons. Niether one really have an answer. A good example is the e-mail we received from Cody Lundin, that I just posted to the Blog site. Cody affirms that there isn't any "one-size-fits-all" Survival kit. They vary for many different reasons. Reading through all this stuff will, hopefully, give a "Newby" a better understanding of what they're looking for, then they will know what specific questions to ask. And we don't mind people posting their info onto these "Sticky's", that's what they're there for. Probably the best "Survival Knife" for the money is the Mora Knife that runs anywhere from $11 to $25, depending on where you go. But it doesn't seem to be as sexy as a huge knife that can gut an elephant with just one quick swipe. So the Newby orders the Big-a$$ knife, then posts a pic of it, then puts us all on the spot by asking us what we all think about it.:confused: any way, that's my story & I'm sticking to it.:D Welcome again.:cool:

Rick
07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
A lot of folks on here swear by the Mora. Native Dude who happens to live off grid in the Great Blue North swears by them as well. Or he would if he weren't so off grid at the moment.:rolleyes:

nell67
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Thank you Nell, I'd wondered what happened to that. Lately we've been getting the "Numpty" crowd in again.:rolleyes:

I know hun,I was a woman on a mission until I found this thread,and your knife post you wanted,good stuff,and it sooooo applies to our recent candidates for the wolfpack,I just had to :D:D:D

LostOutrider
07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Sarge.

I don't have any "Hey! Lookit my big knife!" posts anyway, since I don't usually carry anything bigger than the blade in my Leatherman. (Well, I did take a khukri backpacking once, but the rest of the crew laughed at me so much that I decided maybe it wasn't necessary after all. :cool: ) Nothing like learning through good-natured shame heaped lovingly on by one's friends.

Rick
07-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Hey! Khukris are good tools. Nothing wrong with them. Machettes, too. Tell your crew they don't know squat.;)

Here's mine:

LostOutrider
07-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Nah, that isn't why. They're big, heavy (backpacking, remember), and completely inappropriate for a 2-nighter on a trail where you're only about 15 miles from civilization.

Kind of like finding the "one perfect kit," everything is situational.

Gray Wolf
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Nah, that isn't why. They're big, heavy (backpacking, remember), and completely inappropriate for a 2-nighter on a trail where you're only about 15 miles from civilization.

Kind of like finding the "one perfect kit," everything is situational.

15 miles from civilization might be far under different circumstances (someone hurt, major weather change etc.) If a Khukri is to heavy for you, you moght want to get a light weight Machete or carry a large (8"-10") knife. You don't want to get stuck in one of those situations with your Leatherman (which I carry too).

LostOutrider
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh, no disputing that there are situations in which you can't rely just on a small folding blade. I mean, I do have a khukri for a reason.

I'm not quite as fanatic as the Ultra-Lights, but for 90% of the places I head to - and the group I go with - carrying everything for every situation just isn't necessary. I try to maintain a 30-35lb pack (including food & sleep system). There's considerable amount of planning, though, going into any excursion . . . and then even more planning going into potential problems. When you're that close to civilization, a cell phone will do you more good in an injury than a machete. (Though, I am not trying to kick open a nest of what size/shape/color/flavor of knife is the barest minimum to use.)

crashdive123
07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey, if it works for you, then it works for me. (Sorry Rick - I had to say it) The important thing IMO is to be comfortable with the tools that you bring. Know your capabilities and limitations......and like you said - plan.

Rick
07-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey, it's your saying. Use it or lose it.:D

davef
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Ok, I'm new to this forum, but have spent some time on a few other forums,
and have seen what Sarge is talking about on those forums as well.

If I've learned anything from my time on the forums, it's this:

Lurk and ye shall receive

Become a perpetual student. This means that when you're on the forums,
keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and you might learn something.

When you contribute, stick to your personal experience, be prepared to
explain your reasoning if called on it, and try to learn something from
whatever criticism (good, bad, or ugly) that comes your way, because
there are people out there who have a whole lot of experience,
know what they are talking about, and are trying to pass it along to you.

The best survival knife is the one that you have on you when you need to survive
(credit goes to a member of one of those other forums I mentioned)

Sarge's post was right on the money.
Thanks Sarge.

Ok, back to lurk mode now!!!
Cheers

wareagle69
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
davef,
apology accepted
everyone strays now and then but they all come home to the wolf pack
but i do agree holeheartedly about only posting based on personall experience and be prepared to defend when challenged on your posts when some one questions why .
welcome to another canuck

Sarge47
07-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm bumping this as it shows that we were talking about this prior to Ken doing the addition to the "Intro" section! :cool2:

SARKY
07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I think that we as the informed masses must justify our choices of equipment so that the newbies understand why we like the equipment, and what its strengths and weakness's are.

Lorna
07-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Guessing I better not ask what everyone thinks of my new hiking boots. Don't want my feelings hurt. :crying:

Sourdough
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Guessing I better not ask what everyone thinks of my new hiking boots. Don't want my feelings hurt. :crying:

Show enough leg, and the boots will be perfect.........:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
07-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Show enough leg, and the boots will be perfect.........:innocent:

Yeah...what Hope said! :drool:

Rick
07-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Shame on you guys! I can't believe you two. Is there no gutter so low that we can't find you in it? Good grief!!!

Lorna - Just out of curiosity, how much leg we talkin' here?

Sourdough
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Shame on you guys! I can't believe you two. Is there no gutter so low that we can't find you in it? Good grief!!!

Lorna - Just out of curiosity, how much leg we talkin' here?

It is on a sliding scale based on how ugly the boots are.......:sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2::innocent:

2dumb2kwit
07-28-2009, 10:31 PM
It is on a sliding scale based on how ugly the boots are.......:sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2::innocent:

Hope...you're a wise man.
I like the way you think!:innocent:

Sarge47
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I got an idea on how to put both your leg AND your boot to good use! Bend over guys, you got this one coming! :sneaky2::innocent::cool2:

crashdive123
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh great Sarge! Threaten them with a good time. They'll be lining up around the corner.

Sourdough
07-29-2009, 01:02 AM
I got an idea on how to put both your leg AND your boot to good use! Bend over guys, you got this one coming! :sneaky2::innocent::cool2:

Hurt me.....hurt me.....Walk on me.....Yes...yes....YES...:innocent::innocent::inn ocent: "These BOOTS are made for walking, and thats just what they will do, one of these days these boots are going to walk all over you". Nancy Sinatra (I saw her in Lost Wages with Frank at one on his last performances).

SARKY
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM

The ugliness of the boots is inversely proportional to the amount of leg shown!

2dumb2kwit
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
For the young'uns, this is what hope is talking about. (I was 2yrs old):innocent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkovnss7sg

Rick
07-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh, thanks. I had no idea who she was. Something is wrong with the color in the picture, too.

2dumb2kwit
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, thanks. I had no idea who she was. Something is wrong with the color in the picture, too.

Wishful thinking, Rick?:)
Or a senior moment?

Ken
07-29-2009, 05:55 PM

Is the color better in this one, Rick? I'm sure Cowboy will like it....

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/109100/Nancy+Sinatra.jpg

Rick
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not certain why CS has a problem with pink. That seems to work for me. Thanks!

Lorna
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Well Rick, I believe in doing the job right soooo, that means I'll show as much leg as I need to. :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots....:innocent:

Ken
07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots,
Please be ugly boots....:innocent:

http://www.iuplanet.com/~hoosier_news/ugly.jpg

welderguy
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.iuplanet.com/~hoosier_news/ugly.jpg

Were do you get this stuff from!!!!!!

Rick
07-30-2009, 07:49 AM
(fanning self) I feel faint.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
OK I have been thinking about this "Pink" color you guys are so fascinated with. Here is my conclusion Pink is good for the ladies, Pink is good for fairies, and last but not least there seems to be related to the age of a man. At some distant age well beyond my experience it must happen. Now I do not know how old you guys are but maybe you could enlighten us younger fellers about when the condition becomes so distinct that you began posting pink squirrels on a wilderness survival forum?

Maybe, "Ed" could provide an answer or if he is still lurking on the forum "Smilin' Bob"?

Rick
07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
When you get our age you're grateful for anything. It doesn't matter what color it is.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
07-30-2009, 04:39 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/BareKnuckle1970/79235932_l.jpg

Looks like Smilin Bob has left the forum. If you can find him he has done wonders for those that suffer from pink squirrel disorder....

2dumb2kwit
07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
aaahahahaaahhaahahahhhahahaah!!!!!:clap:

crashdive123
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
OK I have been thinking about this "Pink" color you guys are so fascinated with. Here is my conclusion Pink is good for the ladies, Pink is good for fairies, and last but not least there seems to be related to the age of a man. At some distant age well beyond my experience it must happen. Now I do not know how old you guys are but maybe you could enlighten us younger fellers about when the condition becomes so distinct that you began posting pink squirrels on a wilderness survival forum?

Maybe, "Ed" could provide an answer or if he is still lurking on the forum "Smilin' Bob"?

Happens right about the time you turn 37. I figure you got just over three months left.

pocomoonskyeyes
07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll Bet I can think of at least one thing pink that CS likes--- But it ain't proper to speak like that in front of ladies(Tipping hat to the ladies) "my apology Ma'am".:euro::helpsmilie::blushing:

Rick
07-30-2009, 08:49 PM
It's okay. You can say pink cupcakes.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/115122-107438/pink_cupcake1.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
07-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Is that Icing or strawberry soft serve ice cream? MMMMMMM... MMM... MMMMMMMM!!!

crashdive123
07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
They ain't Twinkies, but......
http://parentzing.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/hostess-snoballs-25189.jpg

2dumb2kwit
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
They ain't Twinkies, but......
http://parentzing.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/hostess-snoballs-25189.jpg

What is the difference between pink snowmen and pink snowwomen, Alex?:innocent:

crashdive123
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
The carrot....

Sourdough
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
What is the difference between pink snowmen and pink snowwomen, Alex?:innocent:

The size of the Carrot........:innocent:

crashdive123
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Ha, Ha - great minds (or is it perverted) think alike.

Lorna
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Running over to Rick and using my shirt to fan him. Don't faint Rick, please don't faint. Furiously fanning. :triage:

Ken
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Here's mine.........

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_566uepHf1Tg/R0zNRA49jkI/AAAAAAAAAZw/aA1eHrynQME/HUGE+Carrot.jpg

Ken
07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's Ricks. This is a "Before" picture..... :innocent:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/3317004091_44f400d35c.jpg

crashdive123
07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Here's mine.........

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_566uepHf1Tg/R0zNRA49jkI/AAAAAAAAAZw/aA1eHrynQME/HUGE+Carrot.jpg

Ken - yours is showing as a little tiny red x. Sorry buddy.

Ken
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Why do I tolerate all this abuse...........

2dumb2kwit
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Ken - yours is showing as a little tiny red x. Sorry buddy.

Dang.....do you think he lost THAT, in the divorce?:blushing:

Ken
07-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Dang.....do you think he lost THAT, in the divorce?:blushing:

Nope. That's the ONLY thing I got to keep. But trust me, she wanted it bad......... :innocent:

Rick
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/whining.png

Sarge47
07-31-2009, 12:45 AM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/whining.pngYeah, yeah! Butch it up! I saw ya in "Saving Silverman", say hello to Jack Black for me! :sneaky2::innocent::cool2: