PDA

View Full Version : Young boy's altoids survival kit

gitaway
10-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I did a search, and I would like to know what to put in young boys' survival kits using the altoids tins. Can't put lighters, razors, etc. These boys are 5,7 and 9. The 9 year old is learning rifle, the 7 is learning bow. Forgot what the 5 is learning, but somehting appropriate. I would appreciate your suggestions. These fellas go hiking all the time, climbing seneca rocks to the top, etc. thanx, g

gryffynklm
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
No lighters or razors as a qualifier would imply NO fire starting alternatives like the ferro rod and striker no kindling like a cotton ball wrapped in foil and no blades.

The rocks are located along the South branch of the Potomac river. There is a ranger station to the west and a horse ranch to the north east if I remember correctly. I have been there in the dead of winter with 1.5 ft of fresh snow and have never been alone at the site. A ranger vehicle makes its rounds even when the visitor center is closed.

Perhaps signal device like, a whistle or signal reflector.
compass
Emergency blanket

All the Altoid survival kits I have seen provides basic tools to cover the basic needs in a survival situation. Shelter, fire, food and signaling. If you Remove the Fire making tools, and cutting tools, you are left with signaling.

Survival kits like the Altoids tin are only the tools to assist in a potential survival situation. Without the knowledge of how to use the tools for survival you just have a kit of cool stuff. The kit is not a toy and proper use of any item needs to be taught. Signaling tools should only be used in an emergency situation. Imagine everyone's surprise when a hiker or ranger approaches the kids and the accompanying adult asking "Is Everyone Alright what is the emergency?" The last thing they want to hear is Oh, haha, the kids were just playing with their signal mirrors, or whistle.

Based on your post I have to assume a lot. If they hike the rocks, they are going with someone with some experience, perhaps a parent??? ask them to assist you in building the kit.

If you don't trust the kids to have the basic tools of a survival kit, how about a kids pack. A fanny pack with things like a compass, emergency blanket, a water bottle trail snack, inexpensive binoculars as low as ten, animal track or knot tying bandana, para cord bracelet......

Check out http://www.safezonellc.com/index.html

Cool stuff good quality and price to match. Great place to deal with.

With a kit like this the kids get involved in the hike, they can watch the wildlife or rock face climbers, find tracks perhaps identify the animal......

It will help give a sense of responsibility for their own snacks and water, and that will build as they are taught how and when to use the items. Every trip teach something new and refresh what they have already learned. As they get older add the fire and cutting tools.

Just my two cents.

Rick
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
At five, and sometimes even older, the best thing a youngster can do if lost is stay put and signal for help. So I think Karl was spot on with the whistle. I would also add a small LED flashlight, a piece of orange plastic that can be used a signal flag and a small signal mirror. You can add an energy bar like a Clif Bar.

At that age their priorities are a bit different than an adult's. The don't need fishing gear and fire starters. They need to bring attention to themselves.

postman
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Check out the "hug a tree program" on line, it is a survival program set up for young children.

finallyME
02-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Like others have said, get the kid a whistle, a really load one. Also get them a mirror and something that is hunter orange or close to it. I have a 5 yr old and a 9 yr old that I take backpacking with me. My 9 yr old has his own knife and fire starting stuff. Both have their own whistle that is around their neck, and a headlamp. You can also give them glow sticks. I don't let my 5 yr old out of my sight. My 9 yr old gets more freedom and can explore on his own. The only rule is that he has to be able to see me, or hear me.

lucznik
02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
One of the best purchases I've ever made was a couple of blaze orange ball caps for my kids to wear in the woods. Makes them so much easier to find as they wander around.

Kortoso
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
This is kind of fun:
http://artofmanliness.com/2011/01/30/22-manly-ways-to-reuse-an-altoids-tin/

Warheit
02-02-2012, 05:33 PM
This is kind of fun:
http://artofmanliness.com/2011/01/30/22-manly-ways-to-reuse-an-altoids-tin/

Rep! Awesome post.

Condor
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I would get them something bigger than an altoids tin. Altoids tin's a neat but just too small.
Get them fanny packs instead. Much more room and you can belt them on for safe keeping.

Put inside:
Emergency whistle
Emergency poncho with hood
Emergency mylar blanket
Emergency food/water rations (http://www.dougsoutdoors.com/emergency-rations-water/kids-2-day-food-water-rations)
Bandaids
A flashlight or Light stick
Card with emergency contact numbers + his/her name and address.
Signal Mirror (preferably one with a nighttime reflector on the opposite side)
Maybe hand warmers or a full body warmer.

hunter63
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I would get them something bigger than an altoids tin. Altoids tin's a neat but just too small.
Get them fanny packs instead. Much more room and you can belt them on for safe keeping.

Put inside:
Emergency whistle
Emergency poncho with hood
Emergency mylar blanket
Emergency food/water rations (http://www.dougsoutdoors.com/emergency-rations-water/kids-2-day-food-water-rations)
Bandaids
A flashlight or Light stick
Card with emergency contact numbers + his/her name and address.
Signal Mirror (preferably one with a nighttime reflector on the opposite side)
Maybe hand warmers or a full body warmer.

Good post, I was thinking about the name and address, contact numbers and such.

Took 2 year old GS shopping yesterday, he doesn't go anywhere whith out his "back pack/diaper bag", has his jacket, in loops on the out side,....hat, diaper stuff inside, juice boxes, snacks, and a toy or two......But his name and contact numbers are printed on the card on the outside window for this reason.
I would say he is off to a good start.

Rick
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I like your contact information idea. When out with the kids or grand kids a cell phone number(s) could change a long look into a quick find if someone called you on the cell. Great idea. Probably should have thought of it myself. Forest and the trees I guess.

hunter63
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I do the same on the tags on the dogs....my name and phone number....lost and found a few this way....should work for kids as well.....

kyratshooter
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I have two issues with the logic here, although all reccomendations are useful and good.

If a 9 year old is "learning rifle" why can he not have matches?

If he is responsible enough for life and death tools to be placed in his hands he is responsible enough tho put a pocket knife in his pocket and a lighter under the proper circumstances.

Same for the 7 year old "learning bow".

When did using a pocket knife require attaining the age of 18? Used to be Cub Scouts had pocket knife merit badge as one of the early skills for a 9 year old. Same for laying and lighting a one match fire.

I put my first pocket knife in my pocket at age 6. I had been using a pocket knife under the supervision of my Great grandfather (born 1865) and his brother Burnis (born 1867) for two or three years at that point. GGdad gave me my first Sabre pocket knife for Christmas when I was 6.

We have gotten into so much freekin' "zero tolerance at any age" crap we forget what normal is.

A 9 year old may not need a lighter/ferro rod in his pocket on a daily basis, but there is no reason that if he is learning outdoor skills making fire should not be one of those skills.

These items and tasks used to be a right of passage, progressive steps to acceptance as an adult. Each of the kits should be different, proving age has its advantages.

Now all kids are different, but if he can't handle a knife in his pocket I would not want a rifle in his hands.

Kortoso
02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I reckon the stuff that you need will increase depending on the size of the bag you have to put it in. If I had a boy, I'd just give him a knife. ;)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I have two issues with the logic here, although all reccomendations are useful and good.

If a 9 year old is "learning rifle" why can he not have matches?

If he is responsible enough for life and death tools to be placed in his hands he is responsible enough tho put a pocket knife in his pocket and a lighter under the proper circumstances.

Same for the 7 year old "learning bow".

When did using a pocket knife require attaining the age of 18? Used to be Cub Scouts had pocket knife merit badge as one of the early skills for a 9 year old. Same for laying and lighting a one match fire.

I put my first pocket knife in my pocket at age 6. I had been using a pocket knife under the supervision of my Great grandfather (born 1865) and his brother Burnis (born 1867) for two or three years at that point. GGdad gave me my first Sabre pocket knife for Christmas when I was 6.

We have gotten into so much freekin' "zero tolerance at any age" crap we forget what normal is.

A 9 year old may not need a lighter/ferro rod in his pocket on a daily basis, but there is no reason that if he is learning outdoor skills making fire should not be one of those skills.

These items and tasks used to be a right of passage, progressive steps to acceptance as an adult. Each of the kits should be different, proving age has its advantages.

Now all kids are different, but if he can't handle a knife in his pocket I would not want a rifle in his hands.

Spot on! Rep sent! Teach 'em right and they are capable!

Rick
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
One law of the universe I learned early on. You can not tell a parent how to raise their child. You can try but its sort of like throwing snot on graphite. Kinda hard to make it stick.