PDA

View Full Version : Fiddle playing.

1stimestar
10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm going to start lessons here soon. I've always wanted to learn but it's something I have just never gotten around to. Well, with the passing of my harmonica playing spouse, I think it is time to stop putting it off. I talked to an acquaintance of mine this morning who teaches and got the info I need on buying one and what I'll need etc. I really like Celtic and bluegrass but know it will be a "while" before I can play anything really fun. Do any of you play?

Portable, can be played on a mountain top or in the woods. What more can one ask?

Rick
10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I have a step brother that plays. He has his grandfather's fiddle and played it in a bluegrass band up until a couple of years ago.

gryffynklm
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't play Fiddle but i do play a number of other instruments. The best advice for buying an instrument comes from a 16th century lute instruction book and i have never regretted its advice. It basically states that you should find well made quality instrument (think $$ you get what you pay for) because a quality instrument will have a nice sound, and will be easier to play. As a result it will be more enjoyable as you learn. A cheaply made instrument can have a less appealing sound and be more difficult to play resulting in a possible frustrating and unenjoyable experience because you have to fight it. Follow you teachers advice and if you buy online, make sure the return policy will allow you to return it if you don't like its playability. Your teacher can set up and adjust you instrument. If he can't and doesn't like it send it back.

Be patient, I have been working on Bag pipe for a little over a year and have 5 tunes down solid on the practice chanter. I just got my full set of pipes from the band and will be playing at parader in the spring. Its definitely worth it. Ya, and the usual practice, practice, practice.

Go for it!!

Rick
10-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Karl - That's some pretty good advice. I played B Flat Clarinet up through high school and guitar from the time I was about 12 (I have a 1962 Fender Stratocaster in Sunburst). When you lay your fingers on the neck of a stringed instrument you can tell the difference between a well made and a cheap made instrument. It's immediate.

LowKey
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm learning to play my organ.
No really.
A Hammond A100 (That's like a B-3 with about 100 extra pounds of internal speakers)
One thing it ain't is portable.
I think I'll be practicing forever. Can't quite get the hands in synch.
:p
Good luck with the Fiddle, 1stimestar!

Sparky93
10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Good advice Karl

Rick, your guitar makes me drool more than a little. I have been playing guitar since I was 8, mostly acoustic but I play some electric. My guitar I have here at college is a Martin Backpacker, which is the same as a normal acoustic guitar. Just minus about 70% of the body, as I tell everybody it is a fifth of the martin for a fifth of the price lol.

1stimestar, my brother has been learning to play the violin (he gets mad if I call it a fiddle). He has our great grandpa's Hopf violin, wich is well over 100 years old. Once you get one and start learning don't get discouraged if it doen't sound very good at first and just keep at it. The more you play the better and better you will get, and before you know it you will be crank'n devil went down to georgia out of that thing.

1stimestar
10-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Oh I have been drooling over vintage ones online but I am buying locally for now. I think a few hundred bucks will get me a decent mid range one. After I learn to play a bit and know what I like, I'll know more on what I want to spend my money on.