PDA

View Full Version : I did it.

mouse111111
10-01-2011, 08:01 PM
That's it, I did it, I lit the woodstove for the first time this year. Now begins the six-month struggle to find a place to cut, find the time to cut, and fix my 20" Huskvarna saw. I do love the smell of woodsmoke though : )

hunter63
10-01-2011, 08:33 PM
That's it, I did it, I lit the woodstove for the first time this year. Now begins the six-month struggle to find a place to cut, find the time to cut, and fix my 20" Huskvarna saw. I do love the smell of woodsmoke though : )

You mean you didn't start last spring?????

Teacher tells the story of the three pigs, looking to build their houses, and cut wood for the winter.
First pig goes to the farmer and asked, 'Do you have any straw?"

Now the teacher says, "Class, what do you think the farmer said?"
Johnny raises his hand, (we all know about Johnny), and says, "I be a SOb.... a talking pig!"

LowKey
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Ahyup. Last spring. Gotta let that wood cure out. You spend some of your heat drying the water out out of unseasoned wood.
Not very efficient.

Rick
10-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Not to mention the creosote buildup.

ronjnk
10-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I would be most concerned with the creosote build up. We had one very small chimney fire in 31 years of burning wood and it was still scary. I hate that transition from an oval pipe out of the stove to the round pipe. Next stove we get will be round all the way. That way the chimney brush can get the job done right from the start. We usually have had many fires by now but it is still unseasonably warm. We had one year when the lake was skimmed over by the end of this month. Won't be happening this year.

ronjnk
10-01-2011, 11:00 PM
One more thing... I don't know anybody's particular circumstances but when we dealt with that minor chimney fire in the oval pipe right at the stove it was Early Spring here and we had about 30 inches of snow on the ground. It was quite exciting to dig the ladder out of the snow and wrestle it up to access the roof. It now is a permanent fixture against our house and I can run up it in seconds.

crashdive123
10-02-2011, 07:45 AM
It's been a while since I lived where it snows, but when I did, I recall that every even semi-remote home had a ladder to the roof as a "permanent structure". Even the steep pitched roofs needed to be cleared of snow. Access to the chimney area was also a consideration.

ronjnk
10-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Since our roof is metal, I made a wooden ladder that is physically attached to our roof. I've seen that done many times but I don't recall someone having a ladder permanent from the ground to the roof. We think safety out here all the time. I rarely go up on the roof without a linesman belt and rope/carabiner tied to an anchor point on the roof peak. That rope/carabiner arrangement is clipped to the top of the ladder so that when I scale the ladder it is always accessible and also prevents the ladder from ever crashing down.
Ron

mouse111111
10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I have about 4 cords of wood curing right now, but I can't cut in spring and summer due to snakes, they just fall out of the cedars.

mouse111111
10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
You should have seen the locust that we burned last year, the oil burned blue.

Skinner
10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Yea , Last Kniget it Was Reading 57 On My Temp reader In My Truck and Everytime I Walked Outside At Work that's All you Smelled Was People Buring there Fireplaces.Loved that Smell. Lingered In the Moment of Burning Wood and Went Back Inside to get Back to Work In My 40 dagrees.

BScout
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Yea , Last Kniget it Was Reading 57 On My Temp reader In My Truck and Everytime I Walked Outside At Work that's All you Smelled Was People Buring there Fireplaces.
Dang. 57 degrees and they're burning?

Kids around here head out for the bus in the morning and it's hard to get them to wear a sweatshirt... at 45-50 degrees. They were wearing shorts and a T-shirt to school and our high for the day won't be 57.

hunter63
10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
LOL, depends on the location....In Louisiana, if the temps get down to 55, the weather guy starts giving wind chills......

Skinner
10-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Yep, Welocome to Florida Were it Rains On One side of the Street and Will Be Nice and Sunny On the Other Side . I'm Still Wearing Shorts and Tank tops In 40 dagree weather. Got in the Paper When I Lived In Conn. Because Me and My Brother Were Shovling the Snow In 20 Dagrees and It Was Still Snowing. And they Were Amazed that we Were in Shorts and Work boots and T-Shirts Doing It with No Jackets.They Thought Were Were Crazy.

Sparky93
10-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I have about 4 cords of wood curing right now, but I can't cut in spring and summer due to snakes, they just fall out of the cedars.
SNAKES In THE TREES!! I don't like snakes on the ground, let alone fall'n out of trees! Yah yah, you snake people can say they are more scared of you than you are of them, but me and snakes just don't get along. What kind of snakes are they mouse?

mouse111111
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Mostly copperheads but occasionally you'll cut into a stump and hit a timber rattler.

shiftyer1
10-05-2011, 01:04 AM
I have copperheads here but have never seen one in a tree.....gee thatnks, now i'm going to be even more snake paranoid.

mouse111111
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
That's because you're too busy looking down.

shiftyer1
10-06-2011, 01:13 AM
LOL....could be :)

Sparky93
10-06-2011, 02:09 AM
This is going to give me nightmares.... (said while curled up in the feetle position in the corner)