PDA

View Full Version : Intro to a Wanderer

southard
09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Hello to everyone and Smper Fi to all my USMC Family out there. My name is Chris but I go by Southard (last name, no story). I am 32, and live currently in southern California under protest (wife's family). I am Owner Operator truck driver, mostly in the 11 western states with breif forays to the more crowded half of the country. Though I was born there its not where my heart is. I am a Marine (once and always) and with all the training that goes into that, My last duty station was with 7th ESB Aco, Camp Pendleton. My 1st Sgt, and CO were hard Corps mostly 1st Sgt since he was grunt thru and thru and recon on top of that. Which means alot of humps and squad drills (the smallest being 10 miles). My MOS was 3533 LVS operator and suicide jockey hauling explosives and picking up a little sapper along the way. We did 2 turns Mtn traing up in Bridgeport, Ca (rappelling, basic survival, winter survival, and Mtn warfare).
Growing up in Oregon I was usually found running around the farmland ouside of jefferson, OR, The coastal area around Waldport and Yahacts, Or and later on The cascades outside of Salem, and the Coastal mtns To the west. I was in Royal Rangers for about 5 yrs (religious cubscouts) and did Civil war reenacting for 2 yrs as a teen, living in the period while reenacting, Started hunting at age 6 but only sporadically till I was a teen and could go on my own. Self tought snares and traps (alot of stray cats and racoons fell victim) growing up. i spent alot of hours in the woods by myself and a little with friends.
Currently I get my "wood time" while on the road with my dog, stopping where I can and camping if I have time, short hikes. I am out of practice with much of my skills since my wife seems to be allergic to outside. My prepwork is lacking greatly at this time but I am working to remedy the situation a little at a time. I enjoy the outdoors, Trucks, cars, am a reasonable mechanic gas and desiel, enjoy guns and knives and learned a little about making knives from a former stepfather and can put an edge on almost anything.
My gaols for Learning are to never stop. Once you stop your probably dead. An old friend and mentor once told me "Education is expensive, whether you pay money, flesh, or preferably pride. As far as my membership goes... Camraderie and a network of trustworthy people all over since in my line of work it is most likely that the s@#% will hit the proverbial fan, door, me, and everyone else while I am on the road away from my family. The other thing is preparedness on my truck is covered since its a possibility that I can get stranded in the tulleys whether it be by storm, natural disaster, or the stoopid truck.

Thanks,
Southard

Sparky93
09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Howdy Southard, and thank you for your service. And I like the quote from your friend too.

crashdive123
09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service.

Winter
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Welcome to WSF Southard.

Sarge47
09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Welcome aboard Jarhead! Semper Fi and thank you for your service! My oldest son's a Marine, although he's been out for many years. He says "once a marine always a marine!" :cool2:

Rick
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome home and thank you for your service.

hunter63
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Hunter63, saying, Hey and Welcone.

southard
10-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you, I hope to be able to contribute something as useful as all the knowledge I'm sure to get.

Sourdough
10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, thank you for your service.

southard
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Thank you, I hope to be able to contribute something as useful as all the knowledge I'm sure to get.

mouse111111
10-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome southard and thank you for your service.